Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Who wins?

Willie Pep vs Floyd Mayweather Jr: 130.

22K views 32 replies 9 participants last post by  Colzo 
#1 ·
Who wins?

I dont see the extra 4lbs being a huge factor here for Pep, he fought guys like Saddler who were a lot bigger than him.

Pep wins UD.

#3 ·
Pep unanimous 15 round decision. I think he would be too elusive for Mayweather to get anyshots off, and too fast for Mayweather to go into a defencive shell. Neither had the power to hurt eachother, but it would be a technical war.

#5 · (Edited)
Evolved In what way? They make more money, that's about it. As far as distance, that's been cut. The number of times they fight per year is overall lower. Fights are stopped sooner. Gloves are probably more padded, and safer. I'd say the evolution has been going backward as far as tougher, better fighters.

#9 ·
Pep was 123-1 at one point of his career. Fighters in those days had to fight to eat so they had to fight with injuries.

Would Mayweather have won a fight a week after breaking his hand? I think you know he wouldn't.

#21 ·
Boxing has evolved when it comes to game plans and strategies but its debatable when we talking about talent.. Back in those days it was a immensely bigger sport than it is today, much more people would attend to boxing, and with that in mind more talenst were likely to come out... So a guy with 4% loss and over 200 vicotories was sure a hell of a fighter..

I'd pick Pep by decision, Floyd would have to fight an ugly rough fight using his phisicality, wich I doubt would happen

#22 ·
I agree in some ways here, but they still had the strategic game plans back then too. After a guy like Basilio, LaMotta, or Marciano were established, very few tried to brawl with them. Just like very few tried to stand there and trade punches with Foreman or Shavers.

It's just emphasized more and easier to see with the high definition and slow motion.

#25 ·
Will'O Wisp was damm elusive...Hes regarded as the best defensive of all time..guess

Bill, once the sport has a bigger history today than it had those days, we can say we've seen more than they had, so its natural that gameplans and strategies are more evolved.. Looking at other sports its easy to notice, football, us footbal, rugby, volleyball.

#28 ·
He might not win the round, but he could definately do that to some of the fighters. Change isn't always for the better in boxing. The main change for the better is the mob isn't involved in fixing fights, but the game it's self is still just as corrupt.

#29 ·
Mayweathers skills as a boxer are to slick his defence is unbelievable and as he proved against mosley he can take the punches from a hard hitting welterweight.
A fight between pep and mayweather at superfeather weight would be an other Mayweather masterclass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.