Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The numbers weren't half bad for the Pacquiao-DLH fight.

NEW YORK -- HBO Sports reported today that 1.25 million pay-per-view buys were generated from last Saturday’s welterweight fight between Oscar de la Hoya, the sport’s top all-time attraction, and Manny Pacquiao, the sport’s pound-for-pound king, at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The fight was presented by Golden Boy Promotions and Top Rank, Inc.

The 1.25 million buy total represents the highest performing pay-per-view event in 2008 and generated $70 million in pay-per-view revenue. It is only the fourth time in boxing pay-per-view history that a non-heavyweight event has attained the one million buy mark.

“Boxing fans across America showed tremendous support for this event and we’re pleased that they tuned in,” said Mark Taffet of HBO Pay-Per-View.

De La Hoya vs. Pacquiao will be replayed this Saturday, Dec. 13 at 4:45 p.m. ET/ 1:45 p.m. PT on HBO. There will be a same day replay at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT. The exclusive replay of Pacquiao’s impressive triumph will be paired with the live heavyweight title fight from Mannheim, Germany as Wladimir Klitschko meets challenger Hasim Rahman.

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
Very good numbers.
Yeah, definitely. Pacquiao isn't even a big draw yet.. but no doubt he is now. The beating he gave Oscar was unreal. To the general fan, they don't know anything about being weight drained or a spent fighter.. all they know is Pacquiao stepped up in weight and annihilated a legend. Therefore he's the best fighter on the planet now.

Pacquiao/Mayweather breaks records.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I'd predict pac vs mayweather does around 1.5 million if it ever happens.

Great numbers though for this event. 1.25 million people saw Oscar get his ass kicked.

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts

Great numbers though for this event. 1.25 million people saw Oscar get his ass kicked.
I'd predict more. Because I think Mayweather is a big draw at present, and what Pacquiao did to DLH puts him up there as well. Plus I think with great promotion (Mayweather's mouth) this fight would do great numbers.

·
Registered
199 Posts

Even more than that :)

For instance we don`t have PPV in Poland, it was on a free TV (at 5am mind you, hehe) and who knows how many other countries had this fight, outside of PPV. Not to mantion all internet downloads, Oscars ass was whooped in front of many many eyes.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
i predict your right, lance:thumbsup:
When am I wrong homie? lol jk

I'd predict more. Because I think Mayweather is a big draw at present, and what Pacquiao did to DLH puts him up there as well. Plus I think with great promotion (Mayweather's mouth) this fight would do great numbers.
Even more than that :)

For instance we don`t have PPV in Poland, it was on a free TV (at 5am mind you, hehe) and who knows how many other countries had this fight, outside of PPV. Not to mantion all internet downloads, Oscars ass was whooped in front of many many eyes.
I dont. Floyd will have a hard time doing a million on his own like Oscar has done throughout his career. ( hell he only did 900,000 against hatton in the states and hatton is a bigger draw than pac, sadly )Yes he's a draw, along with another superstar status fighting him. Pac is only good for about 400-500k buys. This adds up to around 1.5 million ppv buys. It won't exceept floyd/oscar. It'll be ALONG TIME until that is exceeded. It won't even touch 2 million buys. Around 1.5 is where it'll settle, which is absolutely NOTHING to be ashamed of. As long as we keep having these "events" which turn out to be upsets or historical feats in this sport of boxing, its all good people!

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
When am I wrong homie? lol jk

I dont. Floyd will have a hard time doing a million on his own like Oscar has done throughout his career. ( hell he only did 900,000 against hatton in the states and hatton is a bigger draw than pac, sadly )Yes he's a draw, along with another superstar status fighting him. Pac is only good for about 400-500k buys. This adds up to around 1.5 million ppv buys. It won't exceept floyd/oscar. It'll be ALONG TIME until that is exceeded. It won't even touch 2 million buys. Around 1.5 is where it'll settle, which is absolutely NOTHING to be ashamed of. As long as we keep having these "events" which turn out to be upsets or historical feats in this sport of boxing, its all good people!
Pacquiao is a bigger draw in the US than Hatton. Hatton is a humongous draw in the UK, no doubt about that, but the US is another story. When Hatton fought Maywaether it was well documented that most-all of his fans in the crowd flew over from the UK, he needs that (them to fly over). Pac doesn't, a lot of his fans are already here.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
LOL that would be more than a million satisfied customers. Contrast that to the million who swore off boxing in Floyd-DLH or Floyd-Baldo or Floyd ANYTHING. Yet another reason why Pac is so much better than Floyd. Pac creates fans and excitement while Floyd destroys the sport. :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts