Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.. theres this ranking in the espn.com site:
HERE

I don't know, I'm kinda missing James Toney and Julio Cesar Chavez in there...
BUt I agree Marvin Hagler should be number one
I have no list yet but I think Chavez ought to be there
any thoughts?

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
No oliver McCall either......good list but could be better.

the list is very bias towards fighters from the early 80's back, im not saying all these guys never had great chins but theres been a few since the 90's to......Sweatpea should defo be considered, although he was never hit much he could take punches when he had to....he fought some destructive punchers like chavez,nelson,paez,oscar,tito in his career and was not floored by any of them.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Tito floored him if i remember right tho, but he was out of balance.

And i also think the same happened in the DLH fight, when you get older and slower not smart to go in those crazy positions when u just need to be hit with a jab to be floored. But he never got knocked down and hurt.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Tito floored him if i remember right tho, but he was out of balance.

And i also think the same happened in the DLH fight, when you get older and slower not smart to go in those crazy positions when u just need to be hit with a jab to be floored. But he never got knocked down and hurt.
it was sweatpea who gave oscar the official knockdown in the 9th brutus, it was BS though because he clearly shoved oscar after landing a fairly soft shot.

Tito never knocked him down either,,,,there was a couple of ocassions in the fight when sweatpea slipped, you must be thinking of them mate.

To my knowledge sweatpea only recieved 1 official knockdown in his career and it was in his first 10 fights against roger mayweather and he was up at the count of 2,,,,,,i'll need to check this for sure.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
He was down in the hurtado fight to.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'd have to find room for "head of stone" Duran in there, and Holyfield, but that's just based on what I witnessed, most of us don't have any exposure to the fighters listed. Hagler, of course. You could even make the case for Ali.

You know, I got to looking at the list a little more, and it makes you wonder. All those old timers fought so many times, and so many rounds, I really think Boxing is one sport where the "athlete" has diminished over time. Can you imagine a current day LaMotta, or Sugar Ray Robinson? I can't, never in a million years. Yes, I'd have to say in large part, current day fighters are far far inferior to those old time greats. I'm not sure you can say that about any other sport.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
it was sweatpea who gave oscar the official knockdown in the 9th brutus, it was BS though because he clearly shoved oscar after landing a fairly soft shot.

Tito never knocked him down either,,,,there was a couple of ocassions in the fight when sweatpea slipped, you must be thinking of them mate.

To my knowledge sweatpea only recieved 1 official knockdown in his career and it was in his first 10 fights against roger mayweather and he was up at the count of 2,,,,,,i'll need to check this for sure.

Oh snap i remember the knockdown in th DLH fight now its been a while since i saw that fight.

Are you sure about the tito fight tho? i seem to remember Tito flooring him with a straight right hand.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
He did go down in the Tito fight definetly, a big left hook in the early rounds if i remember correctly. He still had an awesome chin though.

McCall should definetly be on it IMO.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
He did go down in the Tito fight definetly, a big left hook in the early rounds if i remember correctly. He still had an awesome chin though.

McCall should definetly be on it IMO.
He didn't tom, there was no official knockdowns in that fight.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Trinidad scored the only knockdown in the contest when he dropped Whitaker late in the second round with a whistling right hand that caught the challenger flush on the chin. The challenger was up quickly but the riveting right hand set the tone for the entire evening.
Felix Trinidad vs. Pernell Whitaker (February 20, 1999)

I thought i remembered one so i had a look, this site has it listed in the second round. I might have to go watch it again but iv deleted it off the comp now lol

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also believe Marciano shouldnt be ranked that high, I mean, the guy had a great chin but he never faced really BIG opponents or punchers and he was floored by former lightheavyweight Archie Moore and ezzard charles...

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
their list is very Bias to fighters that went up against Sugar Ra Robinson. I think there is a way bigger spectrum than the fellow that wrote this took in.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Yup like i said i think that Whitaker was floored from a straight right hand from tito.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
your right guys he was, i aint seen that fight for a while and it slipped my mind. :D

i do remember it now though and pea was up at 2 and wasn't hurt.

still had a great chin. :cheeky4:

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Yup and to be honest i really did not need the chin cause his opponents rarely hit him.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Yup and to be honest i really did not need the chin cause his opponents rarely hit him.

Correct Brutus, he's the best defensive fighter ive ever seen, i doubt we'll see one like that again. :D

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
I also believe Marciano shouldnt be ranked that high, I mean, the guy had a great chin but he never faced really BIG opponents or punchers and he was floored by former lightheavyweight Archie Moore and ezzard charles...
Charles didn't drop Marciano. The Moore knock down was a flash knockdown. Walcott floored Marciano with the same shot he knocked Charles cold with though. Marciano only got mad.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts