Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(as detailed in “Sorcery at Caesars”)

1. The boss of the Caesars Sports Book dreamed the night before the fight that Leonard would win a decision. He adjusted the odds to increase betting on Hagler, and helped Caesars win a bundle.
2. The Mexican judge, Jo Jo Guerra, had sparred in his youth with Sugar Ray Robinson – his “idol”. Guerra gave the new Sugar Ray a 10-2 margin of victory.
3. The Nevada judge, Dave Moretti, was developing a business partnership with Billy Baxter, a gambler who wagered at least $30,000 on Leonard. Moretti scored it 7-5 for Leonard, and was cleared by an investigation after the bout.
4. The California judge, Lou Filippo, was the referee in the “Rocky” film. He had Hagler winning 7-5.

5. Hagler gave in to the 12-round distance because Leonard argued that 15 rounds was advocated by the racist South African Boxing Association.
6. Hagler quit the promotional tour before it was finished because Leonard was too nice in their press conferences.
7. As a favor, Hagler appeared at the opening of Leonard’s restaurant in January 1986. They dined together, drank champagne, and Hagler confided that he was tired of boxing. Four months later Leonard blind-sided Hagler and challenged him.
8. They both fought for their first championship on the same card in November 1979. Leonard was the headliner and made $1 million. Hagler was in a preliminary and made $40,000.
9. Leonard’s cocaine problem and Hagler’s alleged cocaine problem were hidden from the public.
10. Referee Richard Steele did not penalize Leonard, despite repeated holding, because Hagler never complained to him.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts

1. The boss of the Caesars Sports Book dreamed the night before the fight that Leonard would win a decision. He adjusted the odds to increase betting on Hagler, and helped Caesars win a bundle.
2. The Mexican judge, Jo Jo Guerra, had sparred in his youth with Sugar Ray Robinson – his “idol”. Guerra gave the new Sugar Ray a 10-2 margin of victory.
3. The Nevada judge, Dave Moretti, was developing a business partnership with Billy Baxter, a gambler who wagered at least $30,000 on Leonard. Moretti scored it 7-5 for Leonard, and was cleared by an investigation after the bout.
4. The California judge, Lou Filippo, was the referee in the “Rocky” film. He had Hagler winning 7-5.

5. Hagler gave in to the 12-round distance because Leonard argued that 15 rounds was advocated by the racist South African Boxing Association.
6. Hagler quit the promotional tour before it was finished because Leonard was too nice in their press conferences.
7. As a favor, Hagler appeared at the opening of Leonard’s restaurant in January 1986. They dined together, drank champagne, and Hagler confided that he was tired of boxing. Four months later Leonard blind-sided Hagler and challenged him.
8. They both fought for their first championship on the same card in November 1979. Leonard was the headliner and made $1 million. Hagler was in a preliminary and made $40,000.
9. Leonard’s cocaine problem and Hagler’s alleged cocaine problem were hidden from the public.
10. Referee Richard Steele did not penalize Leonard, despite repeated holding, because Hagler never complained to him.
2&3 Guerra and Moretti should join Eugenia Willams and be banned from judging boxing

10 Richard Steele should have warned Leonard for persistant holding whether Hagler complained or not Steele and Joe Cortez are crookeder than a pair of corkscrews

Hagler got royally screwed in that fight

·
Banned
1,305 Posts

about #6. the reason why he quit the promotional tours for Leonard being to nice is because part of his boxing technique is to hate his opponent with a passion before the fight.

Aside from keeping the fight from going 15 rounds, Leonard also made the gloves bigger. I dont remember how big the gloves actually were though.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
i have a book to push. :)

the glove were 10-ounce attached thumb - leonard insisted - to protect his eye - and to reduce hagler's punching advantage.
Sounds like your pro Hagler? No worries, so am I. But its recently been proven that 8 oz and 10 oz gloves do the same damage. All gloves now adays are attached thumb to begin with.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I seriously doubt the 8 and 10 ounce thing. I love fighting with 16 ounce gloves. thing.
I would believe the 8 to 10 oz thing, this wasnt discovered until a few months back I do believe. You like fighting with 16 oz gloves? I bet you do. lol.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I love fighting with 16 ounce gloves.
Gloves don't hit back. I mean even small ones.

The same is true of teddy bears or other inanimate objects.

I sometimes fight the metaphysical concept of shame after I have got drunk and said something unwise to a friend. I almost always lose, but given the fact that I am the only judge I allways dispute the decision.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts