Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there fellow boxers

i recently received a 14 oz glove from a friend as a gift.
i intend to use it for bag work.

now im a beginner.. is it going to be to heavy for me? i'm worried that my hands are going to be just dropping down to my knees after every couple of punches to the bag ( im a noob:rolleyes: )

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I used 16 oz gloves on the heavybag, at first you can tell the difference but once you get used to them you love them, plus they protect your hand more. I used to hit the bag with some 10 oz gloves, now all i used Is my 16 oz everlast. Its great, You can really tell a difference once you take them off and start using normal sized gloves. Good luck.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
And getting that extra shoulder burn and being able to hold your hands up when they feel extra heavy will definently come in handy, trust me.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
ecd said:
hi there fellow boxers

i recently received a 14 oz glove from a friend as a gift.
i intend to use it for bag work.

now im a beginner.. is it going to be to heavy for me? i'm worried that my hands are going to be just dropping down to my knees after every couple of punches to the bag ( im a noob:rolleyes: )
i spar and hit the bag with my 14oz RBK gloves, you should not be hitting the bag or sparring with anything less than a 14.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Definitely no sparring with less than 14oz, but bag work can certainly be done with less that 14oz. 12 oz is the most common bag glove size.
Although the heavier weight, the more knuckle protection (depending on the glove of course)

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Captainobvious said:
Definitely no sparring with less than 14oz, but bag work can certainly be done with less that 14oz. 12 oz is the most common bag glove size.
Although the heavier weight, the more knuckle protection (depending on the glove of course)
i used to hit the bags with 12z and even 10z but you can feel the shock vibrating to your wrist with these.

i would sujest nothing below 14z for gym work, not everyone hits as hard as me though. :D

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Yeah, I was originally using 10oz pro fight gloves because thats what the gym was providing for bag work, but as they break down, you really notice it.
I only use 12oz or above now for more protection. And honestly, if Tommy needs 14oz'ers, I should probably be using 16 or 18 because Im sure I hit harder than him... :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I broke my hand with a pair of 10's once, but then again I'm 270lbs and break heavy bags ona a regular basis:cheeky4: :cheeky4:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Madghost said:
I broke my hand with a pair of 10's once, but then again I'm 270lbs and break heavy bags ona a regular basis:cheeky4: :cheeky4:

:rolleyes: what a mean guy! what did the bag ever do to you haha.

thats awesome punching power:thumbsup:

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I can feel the shock vibration even with 16 oz gloves on just the same As I can with 10's or even 8's to be honest. This is hitting a 100 pound bag though, my wrist arent that big though but I have good power for a lightheavy.

I bet you do madghost. I bet :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts