Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

2000-2008?

5K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  BoxingManiac 
#1 ·
Who has been the best boxer since the turn of the century in your opinions?

Guys like Lennox Lewis would be hard to put on my list since he retired back in 2003. I'd say the greatest since 2000 was Bernard Hopkins.

Felix Trinidad, Winky Wright, Antonio Tarver, Oscar De La Hoya, Jermain Taylor (x2), Joe Calzaghe & Howard Eastman.. and now he's coming up to Kelly Pavlik.

All of those guys (except Eastman) was/is P4P ranked when Hopkins fought them and even his losses are still debated (the first Taylor decision was a clear win for Hopkins IMO) and not to mention Hopkins has never backed down from a challenge and seen his greatest success come since the turn of the century. He's nearing 44 and still won't back down from the biggest challenges available, as he aged (being 35 in 2000) he just seemingly got better and always works best as an underdog and that is why, he is the greatest fighter since 2000 IMO.

#2 ·
My favorite fighter since the turn of the century has been Arthur Abraham, but since he has not proved himself to be the best, I think that the best would have to be Pacman.

I would not be able to say that I know a lot about the fighters today, so my word on this should not be taken seriously. My specialty is the history of boxing, and thats the area that I should be taken very seriously.

#3 ·
Pacquiao would definetly have a case. Barrera (twice), Marquez (twice), Morales (x3) and then other solid contenders such as Larios, Diaz & Solis. Mayweather could also be a candidate, although he has retired prematurely.

Hopkins record looks very good on paper, but 4 of those 6 guys were stepping up in weight/at an uncomfortable weight. And Eastman shouldn't be on there in comparison to the other guys:laugh:

#15 ·
Mayweather has never taken a good shot to the chin because he never fought a fighter that was determined enough to go all out to get a hit in, and I think that man that would be able to get a hit in to Mayweather would have to be Paqiou! Paquio KO's Mayweather in 10 for me!
Mayweather has never taken a good shot to the chin because he's so good defensively. Floyd would see Pacquiao's lunging lefts a mile off! Mayweather stops Pacquiao easily, and I'm not really a Mayweather fan.

#25 ·
thanks. That was a pretty good punch that he took. I think that he was hurt by it, it looked like he was trying to hide it. Looks like Mayweather can take a fairly decent hit. We'll just wait until he gets hit alot. time after time again. If Paquaiou can do that, he has the win by SD or late stoppage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.