Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Who takes it?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Ring fan polls chose Vitali Klitschko as their Comeback of the Year. I disagree with the pick and I'll try to make a case for more deserving fighters.

Vic Darchinyan came from a devastating knockout loss in 2007 to rise in weight draw with Z Gorres, win the IBF 115 lb. with a one sided knockout of Kirilov, and the WBC and WBA titles against Mijares as a 4 and 5 to 1 underdog.

Tomasz Adamek came from a lopsided decision loss to Chad Dawson and 2 wins over journeyman in 2007 to win the The Ring and IBF Cruiserweight champ in a fight where he was 5-1 underdog and I think he was, but I'm not sure if he was an underdog in the Bell fight too.

Margarito was all, but forgotten after losing to Paul Williams last year to becoming one of boxing's brightest stars after demolishing Cintron and brutalizing Cotto.

Nate Campbell deserves mention, but he didn't lose in 2007; he dominated Ricky Quiles so I can't consider it a legit comeback. Vitali was the favorite going into his fight; the only question was if he could make it healthy out of training camp. Ricky Hatton also came from a devastating knockout to solidifying his position at 140, but his performance against Lazcano was not good and he was a 4-1 favorite against Malinaggi.

Enough of making cases; let's vote for 2008 Comeback Of The Year.

Note: Poling closes January 1st.

G

·
I like the Klitchko pick. The guy was out of boxing for 4 years and just like that he comes back and beats down Samuel Peter, so badly that he makes him quit on his stool, in the process winning one of the legitimate Heavyweight Championship Belts.

I think if you're going to have Margarito up there, PW might be worth consideration as well since he was on cloud 9 after his win over Marg, only to lose in one of the biggest upsets of 2007 to Quintana. He then came back in 2008 with a 1 round KO of Quintana, winning 3 fights in all, in 3 different weight classes.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the Klitchko pick. The guy was out of boxing for 4 years and just like that he comes back and beats down Samuel Peter, so badly that he makes him quit on his stool, in the process winning one of the legitimate Heavyweight Championship Belts.

I think if you're going to have Margarito up there, PW might be worth consideration as well since he was on cloud 9 after his win over Marg, only to lose in one of the biggest upsets of 2007 to Quintana. He then came back in 2008 with a 1 round KO of Quintana, winning 3 fights in all, in 3 different weight classes.
I can see your pov, but Vitali was the favorite, meaning people were expecting him to get that done.

I would have put PW on here, but he lost to Quintana in 2008.

G

·
I can see your pov, but Vitali was the favorite, meaning people were expecting him to get that done.

Ah yes, you are correct. My bad. :cop:

If you're going purely on underdog status I'd go with Nate Campbell. i didn't think he had a chance in hell of beating Diaz and even though I think the cut was the major reason and that Diaz would pummell Campbell in a rematch. It was still a fight that put Campbell back on the map in a major way.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah yes, you are correct. My bad. :cop:

If you're going purely on underdog status I'd go with Nate Campbell. i didn't think he had a chance in hell of beating Diaz and even though I think the cut was the major reason and that Diaz would pummell Campbell in a rematch. It was still a fight that put Campbell back on the map in a major way.
Like I said man, I can't give a guy that severely punished a top 10-20 lightweight (Teddy Atlas was yelling for a stoppage) and didn't lose in 2007 the 08 Comeback of the Year. That to me would be one of the biggest upsets of the year, not comebacks.

·
Beautiful Man
3,552 Posts
Vitali for me.After 4 years out of boxing a beautiful dominating performance.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Margarito. From being 'exposed' by Williams to beating a top 5 P4P fighter and practically (i know he didn't officially) unifying Welterweight belts. Helluva comeback.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'll go for Vitali, returning from injury after so long and so impressively is a great comeback.

Margy's was good too as he was written off by some.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Darchinyan because most people gave Vitali a good chance if he could shake off the ring rust, most people gave Darchinyan even less of a chance to win than they did Pacquaio against Oscar

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Darchinyan because most people gave Vitali a good chance if he could shake off the ring rust, most people gave Darchinyan even less of a chance to win than they did Pacquaio against Oscar
Damn right.

darchi should be comeback fighter of the year! vitali fought only once compared to darchis 3 fights in a row
Exactly, Darchiniyan actually came back! He was knocked out, he jumped right back to 2 knockout victors of 2 title holders, one in which NO ONE, cept maybe me, gave him a chance to win.

I voted Vitali. I didn't think he had a chance with the amount of time he was gone
This post isn't directed at you, but I quoted ya anyways. One fight does not, in my opinion, warrant the mention of a "comeback" Especially when you beat someone your favored to beat by 4/1 odds and is a mother fukking paper champ and got out boxed by a shot james toney, and knocked down 3 times by a shot, old, non puncher in mcCline. Thats no comeback, thats cherry pickin a belt!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
This post isn't directed at you, but I quoted ya anyways. One fight does not, in my opinion, warrant the mention of a "comeback" Especially when you beat someone your favored to beat by 4/1 odds and is a mother fukking paper champ and got out boxed by a shot james toney, and knocked down 3 times by a shot, old, non puncher in mcCline. Thats no comeback, thats cherry pickin a belt!
4 years is a long time to be away. Vitali came back with no rust. At 37 and with his history of injuries, to me that was very surprising. Peter is not great but IMO was a dangerous opponent to face for your first fight back.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
i pick vic. just for beating mijares

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Vic definitely, beating a guy that nobody really expected him to have a chance against after getting KO'd last year by Donaire.
90% of peoples logic going in to the fight was basically "if Donaire outboxed him and knocked him out, Mijares is better at everything Donaire does and is one of the top8 p4p fighters at the moment, he's gonna annihilate Darchinyan"

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts

This is comeback though. It has nothing to do with the odds, or it would be all about upsets.
Damn right.

Exactly, Darchiniyan actually came back! He was knocked out, he jumped right back to 2 knockout victors of 2 title holders, one in which NO ONE, cept maybe me, gave him a chance to win.

A ton of people had Darchinyan winning that fight. Mijares wasn't even that much of a favorite. Vitali was a -130 favorite. That's not even 2:1. Also, "comeback fighter of the year" has nothing to do with what your opponent did in the past. It's all about what you came back from and what you did. This is a layup for Vitali IMO, and I can't stand the guy.

G

·
I went with Vic, to rebound from a really brutal knockout to unify the belts and beat who many people thought was the man at 115 is a hell of a comeback. I thought he beat Z Gores aswell. It hurts me to say Vic because I detest the man. Margarito is a very close 2nd IMO.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts