Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

2008 not looking very good

3K views 53 replies 19 participants last post by  bucknutz 
#1 ·
Just realized, there's really not any super fights on the horizon for this whole year Mayweather DeLaHoya is a total joke, and Mayweather Cotto is not even set and probably won't be. Not much to look forward to at the moment.

#5 ·
Cotto Vs Margrito it something i'm hyped for for me it could be turn out to be FOTY

#9 ·
There are still lots of fights to be anounced yet. Oscars last opponent. Calzaghe will fight again this year. Winky will fight again.

We're only a few months in.

#16 ·
YOU WHAT :laugh:

Theres been some great fights and matchups this year already. For the last few months i recall a good fight every week including a top name. Even fights such as cotto vs gomez, hoya vs Forbes make a good view.
Then for the superfights Calzaghe vs Hopkins is probably at the top of the list. Then you have Pavlik vs taylor 2. Haye vs Maccarinelli.

Cotto vs Margarito looks promising.
Vasquez vs Marquez 4 is anouther one.
Then for the Hoya vs Mayweather rematch it will produce anouther huge view.

#18 ·
Hey, no offense, but if you were entertained by Calzaghe/ Hopkins....Ugliest fight of the year, Oscar/Forbes....Most lopsided fight of the year.....Cotto/Gomez....Slaughter of the year, then it doesn't take much to impress you.

I talking about Big fights with great matchups Dammit!

#17 · (Edited)
I think some may have misunderstood. I'm talking about the rest of 2008, and I didn't say there are NO fights coming, just nothing big. The ones mentioned just can't be considered big fights.

Just looking at all the fighters that are 35 and older, and the promising crop that's replacing them.

Paul Williams
Juan Diaz
Kermit Cintron
Katsidis

All have stumbled pretty badly. Definitely a void here. Not that boxing hasn't gone through a few of those, just an observation.

Heayweights?...Of course forget'em all unless Haye comes through.

#23 ·
Whats wrong with lopsided and slaughter? :S Since when did all fights have to be competitive :S i love seeing a slaughter tbh :p And nothing wrong with somone showing off his skills by dominating an opponent.
Yup. I there was nothing wrongf with Calzaghe vs Hopkins. :D

#21 ·
Results don't really matter to me. I'm all about SIGNIFICANCE and what each fight does towards future match ups in determining champions.
I loved Hopkins-Calzaghe.
Mosley-Judah is my most anticipated of 2008.
Cotto-Margarito will be the best fight of the year.

Every year can't be like last year was.

#29 ·
I think floyd and oscar is a close fight on paper. It still intrigues me a little, although I'd still rather see him against cotto. I like floyds attitude. Although I will agree with Shane, because he does look stupid to me at times as well. Floyd knows this too.

#33 ·
March was filled with great fights and considered one of the best months ever in terms of excitement. Sticking to the topic your being harsh on the rest of this year, the HBO card with Gamboa, Kirkland, and Angulo. The unification Mijares v. Munoz, Mosley v. Judah, Pavlik v. Lockett, Quintana v. Williams, Andre Ward v. Jerson Ravelo, Abraham v. Miranda, Diaz v. Pacquiao and that's just May and June.

There is still 6 months after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.