Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2008 Olympic Trials concluded this weekend; with the top 11 boxers in each weight class just one international competition away from fulfilling their lifetime dream of representing America as an Olympic athlete.

All 11 Olympic Trials winners are slated to compete in the World Championships later this year in Chicago, and with a birth into the quarterfinals, they are assured a spot on the 2008 Olympic squad in Beijing, China.

The three Olympic Trials winners listed below will enter the 2008 games as the odd-on favorites to medal in China. Each carries a vast amount of experience on the international stage, and represents the best America has to offer in their individual weight class.

Rau’shee Warren ~ Flyweight (112 lbs/48 kg)

With his victory in the 2008 Olympic Trials, Rau’shee Warren stands poised to become the first U.S. boxer in 30 years to compete in back-to-back Olympic Games. While he entered the 2004 games in Athens as the youngest member from any country in competition, Warren will most likely be voted team captain of the 2008 Boxing squad, leading his team to Beijing, China.

Blessed with God-given skills and maturity beyond his years, Warren hopes to impart the valuable lessons learned in the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens.

“When I was 17,” Warren admitted, “I was a child. I still had things to do. Now I’m 20, and I think I’ve grown into my body. I’m getting more power -- my body is now fully developed – and I’m able to get my mind right in the ring. I’m out of school so I can concentrate 100% on boxing.”

Post Athens, Warren has remained undefeated in the past three years, solidifying his reign at 112 lbs with a fluid, southpaw style. Warren’s foot and hand speed stand as his most potent attributes, and his slashing combination punching often forces opponents into a limited, defensive shell. With several more years of international experience under his belt, Warren stands as USA’s best prospect to medal in the 2008 games.

“My experience in 2004 will help me develop better as a man. As a child -- like I said before -- I was going to school, I had too much going on. Now, it’s just boxing. It looks like we will have a lot of young athletes on the team that are going through the same process that I went through, and I’m here to show them, this is what I had to do.”

An obvious pick for squad captain, Warren relishes his role as a leader, confident he can instill the discipline and team cohesion that will be necessary to excel on the worlds stage.

“I’ve been there,” he stated unequivocally. “I’m willing to show them what to do, and what not to do. What the judges like and what the judges don’t like. I’m happy we are a young team but we will need a lot of experience going into the 2008 games -- it’s going to be a lot of hard work. But I’m glad they are making the team early so we have time to get strong.”

Weight Class: Flyweight/112 lbs

Height: 5’ 4”

Weight: 112 lbs

Born: February 13, 1987, in Cincinnati, Ohio

Lives: Cincinnati, Ohio

School: Harmony High School

Coach: Mike Stafford

2004 Light Flyweight Olympian

First U.S. Olympian to return to amateur boxing since 1992

Youngest member of the 2004 Olympic team in any sport

2005 World Championships Bronze Medalist

Two-time U.S. National Champion

Luis Yanez: Junior Flyweight (106 lbs/48 kg)

Two-time junior flyweight national champion Luis Yanez has emerged from USA boxing as a veritable powerhouse at 106 lbs, winning every domestic event he has competed in since 2003.

A self-described technical southpaw with heavy hands, Yanez’s composure and ability to impose his will seem certain to translate into success in the 2008 games.

“USA boxing and the Olympics means a lot to me,” he admitted. “Before USA boxing, I never thought about the Olympics. But then they told me about Beijing, and that I could be an Olympian, so that was when I started working real hard, and I then I started winning every tournament out there. I haven’t lost a fight in 4 years.”

In the 2007 Pan Am games, 18-yrear-old Yanez was able to maintain his composure throughout the international competition, defeating highly regarded Cuban World Champion Yampier Hernandez on his way to claiming the gold.

“Of course I want to face the Cuban in the Gold medal round,” Yanez stated emphatically. “I know he is working twice as hard because he knows I can beat him now. He is in the gym working hard like me, but I’ve got his game down. I’m too positive, and I know I’m going to reach the finals. And the Cuban knows it, too.”

Weight Class: Junior Flyweight/106 lbs

Hometown: Duncanville, Texas

Birth Date: October 25, 1988

Height: 5’ 3”

Weight: 106 pounds

Coach: Dennis Rodarte

2007 National Golden Gloves Champion

2007 Pan American Games Team Member

2006 National Champion

Two-time Junior Olympic National Champion

2005 Cadet World Championships Silver Medalist

2006 Junior World Championships Bronze Medalist

2006 National Golden Gloves Champion

2006 Under 19 National Champion

Demetrius Andrade: Welterweight (152 lbs/69 kg)

2006 U.S. National and Golden Gloves champion Demetrius Andrade stands as the most physically imposing of the 2008 class, with a heavy-handed southpaw style that seems certain to wreak havoc in Beijing, China.

While Andrade may not be the most fleet-footed member of the 2008 squad, he makes up for this shortcoming with a solid jab coupled by a propensity to mix it up on the inside, unleashing short uppercuts and debilitating body shots which exact an extreme toll.

“USA boxing has been good too me,” Andrade confided. “They have sent me to different camps; traveling all over the world…it’s been a great experience. Representing America means everything to me. Not everybody in this world gets a chance to have this opportunity, you know. Most don’t even get to see what it looks like at this level. So I’m going try my hardest, I’m going to fight the best I can, and I’ll have my family and my coach, David Keith, in China to support me.”

Much like fellow team members Yanez and Warren, Andrade has an extensive international pedigree, competing in the 2005 World Cup as a 17 year old before earning the silver medal in the 2007 Pan Am Games.

“With my international experience, I know what I need to do with certain fighters,” Andrade explained. “I know how the scoring system works and what punches the judges will count.”

Weight Class: Middleweight/152 lbs

Height: 6’ 1”

Weight: 152 lbs

Born: February 26, 1988, in Providence, Rhode Island

Lives: Providence, Rhode Island

Coach: Paul Andrade

School: Cooley High School

Began Boxing: 1994

Career Highlight: The 2005 U.S. Championships, Silver Gloves, Dual Meets and Junior Olympic International Invitational

2007 National Golden Gloves Champion

2006 National Champion

2006 National Golden Gloves Champion

2005 National Champion

Gary Russell Junior Bantamweight (119 lbs/54 kg)

Weight Class: Bantamweight/119 lbs

Height: 5 ‘5”

Weight: 119 lbs

Born: June 5, 1988, in Washington D.C.

Lives: Capitol Heights, Maryland

Coach: Gary Russell, Sr. and Robert Martin

Club: Enigma Boxing

Began Boxing: 1995

2006 National Champion

2005 USA Boxing Athlete of the Year

2005 World Championships Bronze Medalist

2005 U.S. Championships Gold Medalist

2005 National Golden Gloves Champion

2004 Junior Olympic Champion

Raynell Williams Junior Featherweight (125 lbs/57 kg)

Hometown: Cleveland, Ohio

Birth Date: February 4, 1989

Height: 5-6

Weight: 125 lbs

Reach: 30

Coach: Clint Martion

Club Name: S.A.B.A

2007 U.S. Champion

Two-time National Silver Gloves Champion

Sadam Ali: Lightweight (132 lbs/60 kg)

Hometown: Brooklyn, New York

Birth Date: September 26, 1988

Height: 5-8

Weight: 132 lbs

Coach: Victor Roundtree, Andre Rozier

School: Canarise High School

Began Boxing: 8 years old

J.O. Nationals and World Champion

PAL National Champion

U-19 National Champion
Two-time Golden Glove National Champion

Two-time New York City Golden Glove Champion

Javier Molina: Light Welterweight (141 lbs/64 kg)

Hometown: Commerce, California

Birth Date: January 2, 1990

Height: 5’ 9”

Weight: 141 lbs

Coach: Roberto Luna

Club Name: Commerce Boxing Club

Began Boxing: 1997

National Senior Titles: Eastern Trials

Career Highlight: Winning bronze in the Cadet World Championships

2007 U.S. Champion

Shawn Estrada: Middleweight (165 lbs/75 kg)

Weight Class: Middleweight/165 lbs

Born: April 1, 1985

Lives: East Los Angeles, California

Coach: Rodrigo Mosquera

Club: Eddie Hevudit

School: East Los Angeles College

Began Boxing: 1997

2007 Pan Am Games Team Member

Christopher Downs: Light Heavyweight (178 lbs/81 kg)

Hometown: Knoxville, Tennessee

Birth Date: November 5, 1974

Height: 6’ 4”

Weight: 178 pounds

Coach: Basheer Abdullah

Club Name: World Class Athlete Program

Began Boxing: 2003

2006, 2007 U.S. Championships

200-2007 Armed Forces Championships

2005 PAL Championships

Pan Am Box Offs Gold Medalist

Pan Am Qualifier II gold Medalist

2007 Pan American Qualifier Ii Gold Medalist

2006 National Champion

Deontay Wilder: Heavyweight (201 lbs/91 kg)

Weight Class: Heavyweight/201 lbs

Hometown: Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Birth Date: October 22, 1985

Height: 6’ 7”

Coach’s Name: Jay Deas

Club Name: Skyy Boxing

School: Central High School

Began Boxing: October 19, 2005

2007 U.S. Champion

Michael Hunter: Super Heavyweight (201+ lbs/91+ kg)

Height: 6’ 2”

Born: July 10, 1988

Weight: 215 lbs

Lives: Las Vegas, Nevada

Began Boxing: 2002

Coach: Augie Sanchez

Career Highlight: Making it to the finals of the Golden Gloves with only five bouts

2006 Under 19 National Champion

2007 U.S. Champion

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Auctioneer said:
Gary Russell is from neck of the woods and I have had the fun of intrducing him to the crowd and watching him in action.
Go Gary
What gym in Baltimore does he train at? I'm just curious, because one of my cousins lives and trains in Baltimore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts