Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
G'day Fella's

Im just after some advice, i think ive left my run a little too late, im hoping that you can change my mind, im now 26 i am somewhat fit, well im not unhealthy, altho a shadow of my former self when i was working as a labourer. i am a shy person dont normaly & never put a picture of myself on the internet, but well this(Boxing)is something i am always thinking about, and have a passion for, but never done anything about it until now.. so i have a few questions:..

#1 how long will it take to get my body into shape so that i dont feel out of place at a boxing gym.. :
yes thats me and im very embarrassed:mad: (im lifting weights, not posing in that pic, my weight is about 70 k/g

#2 is it possible to start at the age of 26 ? and make a decent go of it ?

#3 as im going back into a labouring job come the new year, can i have some form of amateur career ahead of me and still work a full time job..

#4 last one.. i weigh 70 kg roughly what division/catergory would i be classed in.. and where can i find some amateur videos of the type of fighters i would be thrown up against in a years time or so ?

Thanks in advance for any advice / criticism given to me as this will help me make a decision,

Regards..

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
if its something you want to do then go for it mate, im not gonna sit here and tell you your gonna be a world champion because it dont matter how much you train thats just not going to happen at the age of 26 with no prior training.

you will however be able to get fights as an amature probably after a few months, if you go to a boxing club the trainer there will put you against other novices and get you some fights, you'll get out of the sport what you put into it so at 26 you should be aiming for reginal tournaments as your goal in the future.

70 kilo is about bang on 154 pounds, thats light middleweight. you look like you've got a bit of a gut (no offence) so with your training and your starting a new job as a labourer the weight should fly off you if your eating the right things.

by looking at your body there id say welterweight would probably be your natural fighting weight and thats 147 pounds (67 killo) so you should set yourself a goal of getting down to that weight because you'd be strong there aswell as honing your skills when you start.

its all about how much you dedicate yourself mate, you only get out what you put in. :)

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
yeh i agree here i doubt theres world champion in the making but as for amature go for it. I just turned 17 and weigh in around 10 stone and 5ft 10, im going to start at my local gym to shed a few pounds and tone and then see how i get on. theres nothing beter than feeling fit and boxing is the best sport for doing this. Im also not a loud mouth but i would love to box infront of a crowd.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
tyson said:
yeh i agree here i doubt theres world champion in the making but as for amature go for it. I just turned 17 and weigh in around 10 stone and 5ft 10, im going to start at my local gym to shed a few pounds and tone and then see how i get on. theres nothing beter than feeling fit and boxing is the best sport for doing this. Im also not a loud mouth but i would love to box infront of a crowd.
you couldn't box egg's adam. :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers guys...

no offense taken, 1 & 1/2 years sitting on my ass working with computers has allowed me to form a beer gut lol plus i had a broken ankle which basicly had me in bed for three months..

i want to put a lot of work into this, just wanted to make sure 26 is not to old and im not going to be told to piss off by a trainer because of age..

looking at that pic thats errrrrrrr yuck lol... but that is the only piccy i had on the computer, and thats going to motivate me even more to get into shape...

thanks again.. i will keep some form of log to show my progress and hopfuly it can inspire other people around my age to take up the sport.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
CougarXS said:
Cheers guys...

no offense taken, 1 & 1/2 years sitting on my ass working with computers has allowed me to form a beer gut lol plus i had a broken ankle which basicly had me in bed for three months..

i want to put a lot of work into this, just wanted to make sure 26 is not to old and im not going to be told to piss off by a trainer because of age..

looking at that pic thats errrrrrrr yuck lol... but that is the only piccy i had on the computer, and thats going to motivate me even more to get into shape...

thanks again.. i will keep some form of log to show my progress and hopfuly it can inspire other people around my age to take up the sport.
your preaching to the quire dude, im walking around at about 260 something just now, when i was in shape and in training i was around 240-245. lol

·
Registered
830 Posts
Too many people think that sport is just about the money; but there is so much to be gained in terms of personal improvement both mental and physical. The camaraderie of the environment, the confidence and health it breeds, the discipline that training can give you etc.

Credit for posting the photo and asking the questions you have mate, no matter where you get with it you can benefit in yourself and that can be its own reward. :thumbsup:

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
GO for it mate shoot at 26 your life is just starting is not like you had a grueling amateur career right? keep doing what your doing ,alternate lift weights one day,then box the next ,try not over macht your self ,because if some guy clocks you good he'll change your mind about everything ,just kidding stay in shape and good luck..;)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Cheers guys...

Boxing will get you into shape go to a beginners session and you'll see much fatter people than that, there was an obese bloke at my gym who having come for about 2 months now and he looks like a decent heavyweight (he's naturally tall etc).

Doubt you will mate, I've seen people who were in their 40's start mate and love it, you'll be fine just don't try and compete with the younger/more experienced boxers go at your own pace ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im back.. :thumbsup:

Good news too (no pics yet tho sorry)

been in a gym sweating my ass off for the last 2 months, jogging,weights,sparing, you name it they got me doing it.

Anyway that pic up the top is SAD :( was in a bad place at the time but anyway just a lil update know not many people prolly give a flying **** but thought id post just in case this thread could help someone out in the future.

So yeah talk of my first first as soon as 2 this May.. ive surprised alot of people from how quickly ive progressed, my natural anger gives me an edge..

after sparing with a few of the boys who actual have good records uder there belt im giving them a fair work out, and one bloke made a mistake and asked my to fight him properly so i did, i was all over him for 4 rounds and in the 5th i KNOCKED HIM OUT !! :D god damm its a good feeling.. hehe anyway now the respect me, rether than hate me cause im new at better than most of them there, ive even had a scout from another gym ask him to keep in contact with him as they would like be to box for them, anyway so much so quickly.

i'll try and get some pic or even a video of me boxing up soon

So big thanks to people who encouraged me from the beginning, i really was worried id left it to late at 26

Regards Me

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
Im back.. :thumbsup:

Good news too (no pics yet tho sorry)

been in a gym sweating my ass off for the last 2 months, jogging,weights,sparing, you name it they got me doing it.

Anyway that pic up the top is SAD :( was in a bad place at the time but anyway just a lil update know not many people prolly give a flying **** but thought id post just in case this thread could help someone out in the future.

So yeah talk of my first first as soon as 2 this May.. ive surprised alot of people from how quickly ive progressed, my natural anger gives me an edge..

after sparing with a few of the boys who actual have good records uder there belt im giving them a fair work out, and one bloke made a mistake and asked my to fight him properly so i did, i was all over him for 4 rounds and in the 5th i KNOCKED HIM OUT !! :D god damm its a good feeling.. hehe anyway now the respect me, rether than hate me cause im new at better than most of them there, ive even had a scout from another gym ask him to keep in contact with him as they would like be to box for them, anyway so much so quickly.

i'll try and get some pic or even a video of me boxing up soon

So big thanks to people who encouraged me from the beginning, i really was worried id left it to late at 26

Regards Me
sounds like your off to a fantastic start cougar! i wish you well, man! just keep this one thing in mind. nate campbell started in his late twenties and look what he was able to accomplish. you can do it too if you really want it!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
How Is It Going Now

Hi, from reading your post it seems to be a while ago since we had any news of your progress. Are you still boxing ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts