Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you are old enough to remember when you could plop down on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and watch incredible wars on NBC,CBS, and ABC for free. Fortunately I taped many of them, and just got through watching Bobby Chacon and Boza Edwards II. A bloody spectacle with an amazing end! Just wondering if fighters today have the heart and courage these 80's warriors did. Something is sure different. What do you think?

With all due respect to the fighters health, one thing that has taken alot of the drama out today are premature stoppages, and taking out the championship 13-15 rounds.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Not old enough. A lot of those guys who fought in the "glory dayS" are half retarded now from getting beat to death!

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Yea but he is talking about the fights where you could be literally DEAD on the ropes and the ref would let it keep going until your soul visually left your body and ventured off.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
like tommy morrison vs ray mercer? yeah i know what he's talking about, i am also a little to young but i have many of those fights in my collection. There are still very entertaining little guys.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
Not old enough. A lot of those guys who fought in the "glory dayS" are half retarded now from getting beat to death!
This is unfortunately true. But the more civilized it is the less entertaining it is. Maybe why MMA and UFC are on the rise....Not a fan of either

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
It isn't so much that it is more civilized but rather more sensible. They don't want their guys dying in there. I don't like MMA or UFC either.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
to many deaths have occured and they still do but boxers know that they risk this in the first place. I love the old time fights, but i cant say i dont enjoy the newer ones even more just because its my generation and rarely are the great fights boring to me. mma and ufc will never take over the best sport ever.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Was reading a study of the long term brain damage done to fighters after their careers in this months Ring mag. Funny that even after all the back and forth there was still no definitive answers. There's no way of knowing if todays fighters will be any better off than the old timers where distances were longer and there wasn't much medical scrutiny.

Some guys can end their careers in fine shape and some can't, Sadly you don't know until it's too late.

Look at the new light shed on football players recently. Alot of these guys are crippled at 50 years old.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Not old enough, but my dads old enough to remember them from the late 50's (he didn't watch it back then, didn't watch until early 70's or mid-late 60's). He watched great wars like Ali-Frazier 1, Holmes-Norton, Foreman-Lyle and all of the stuff like that live and for free. The last heavyweight war like those would have to be Holyfield-Bowe. He really misses those days, and why I wish I was born in the mid 70's, so I would be old enough to see those kinds of things.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
TysonJones said:
those aer all great fights bill but their are fights today that even better than are happening in our lifetime.

Not in heavyweights. And as for middleweight, nothing will top Hearns-Hagler. The best fight of this generation was Corrales-Castillo.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
i say gatti ward was. ive seen plenty fights that have topped hagler vs hearns, they just last longer than 3 rounds and didnt mean much. but based on signficance/awesome fight, hagler hearns will always be number 1

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I have a hard time saying todays fights are better. There are some great ones, but I'm still hung up on those 80's fights.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
lol live in the present and future. I agree that the 80's fights are great, but seeing how they affecting nothing now, i dont watch them anymore, wel except for the ones i have in good quality and are great fights.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I'm all about the present day fights, because I already know what happened in the past and I hate knowing the winner before I watch a fight.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
I'm all about the present day fights, because I already know what happened in the past and I hate knowing the winner before I watch a fight.

Then your not going to watch Hatton-Mayweather are you? Because you already know Hatton will win.:cheeky4:

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
I knew that was coming.

Well yeah. Even Ray Charles could see that Hatton will beat Mayweather. And he also saw what I mentioned earlier was coming.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts