Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always found this to be of the utmost of importance, weather it pertains to boxing, street fighting or otherwise.

It has always been my opinion that anyone can learn the skills of a particular discipline of combat. What is highly in doubt however, is anyone's ability to manifest them when confronted with real life danger. For example, I have studied various forms of martial arts and wrestling. At one point in my youth, I even wanted to become a police officer and took some combat classes in college. I have known many individuals who were well skilled in certain forms of self defense or combat, but when the moment of truth came, they froze and handled a bad situation very poorly. On the otherhand, men and even women who have never studied any form of fighting on a formal level, found themselves capable of standing up for themselves, because they had the instinct to at least attempt to fight back.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
I have always found this to be of the utmost of importance, weather it pertains to boxing, street fighting or otherwise.

It has always been my opinion that anyone can learn the skills of a particular discipline of combat. What is highly in doubt however, is anyone's ability to manifest them when confronted with real life danger. For example, I have studied various forms of martial arts and wrestling. At one point in my youth, I even wanted to become a police officer and took some combat classes in college. I have known many individuals who were well skilled in certain forms of self defense or combat, but when the moment of truth came, they froze and handled a bad situation very poorly. On the otherhand, men and even women who have never studied any form of fighting on a formal level, found themselves capable of standing up for themselves, because they had the instinct to at least attempt to fight back.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue?
You're either born with them or you're not
Quite like to be a copper when im older

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're either born with them or you're not
Quite like to be a copper when im older

I tend to agree with this statement, although I also believe that a person's attitudes and confidence levels can change or develop over time making them more apt to handle confrontational situations more effectively.

During times of war, such as the Vietnam era, school boys who were otherwise considered harmless were very quickly transformed into killing machines through a combination of training as well as witnessing horrific terrors in the jungle. When some of these young men returned home, their loved ones hardly recognized them.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
I tend to agree with this statement, although I also believe that a person's attitudes and confidence levels can change or develop over time making them more apt to handle confrontational situations more effectively.

During times of war, such as the Vietnam era, school boys who were otherwise considered harmless were very quickly transformed into killing machines through a combination of training as well as witnessing horrific terrors in the jungle. When some of these young men returned home, their loved ones hardly recognized them.
That is so true They left home as innocent boys, the horrors they encountered changed them forever. The saddest part of all though is some of them when they came home were booed, spat on, even had dog feces thrown at them while they were being called murderers and baby killers. We sent them there to fight, then some people ostracised them for doing so.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Yes I belive a persons enviroment has a lot to do on wether they can apply physical harm given a certain situation , I mean if a person has never had to fight in his life, but learns a skill and becomes good at it, all that is is the skill it self ,it does not provide the mental aspect called for in a real physical struggle situation, there for the person freezes at the time to kill or be killed..... I'm quite sure there's a lot more to it, this is just my take on the subject...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts