Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It seems to me that the careers of several fighters have come to an end. Being dissapointed in the performance of Raul Marquez against Abraham, Rahman against Klitschko and other fighters like Maskeav, Holyfield who strech their careers to long, i wonder why they just cant end their career period. Morales the same story, HOF'er please stop, they all had their moment in the spotlight, did great and had all respected careers, they can take pride in what they have achieved ? If the money wasn't enough in their prime what is the little money at the end going to change ? They can only lose respect if they continue...

4 LeedsLad: edit, "Oscar included"

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Most fighters didn't go to college. Boxing is all they know. When they retire they ask themselves "What am I supposed to do now?". They relax and enjoy themselves for a while but eventually they get bored, and the only thing they ever saw themselves doing that was productive was boxing, so they try to re-live the glory days.

If boxer's were required to have a higher education I honestly don't believe this would be as much of an epidemic as it is today.

G

·
A generation is coming to an end. The Oscar DLH generation. To me, the fighters who are lumped in are DLH, B-Hop, Roy Jones, Winky Wright etc.

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
Most fighters didn't go to college. Boxing is all they know. When they retire they ask themselves "What am I supposed to do now?". They relax and enjoy themselves for a while but eventually they get bored, and the only thing they ever saw themselves doing that was productive was boxing, so they try to re-live the glory days.

If boxer's were required to have a higher education I honestly don't believe this would be as much of an epidemic as it is today.
That is part of the problem of the lack of depth of great fighters. Nowadays people have all these college degrees, scholarships, apprenticeships etc. There is so many avenues in life now that a lot of people don't consider Boxing an option. In the past these options were far rarer then they were now, hence the huge depth of great fighters. Now we have another economic crisis ongoing, people will turn to Boxing as a source of income (one can only hope.)

Marquez, Maskaev & Rahman are hardly the names i expected to hear when i opened this thread:laugh:
:laugh: me neither.

·
Registered
665 Posts
No, I completely forgot he just had a fight recently too. How terrible was it?
Bowe was a complete embarrassment Obama, 19stone of middle age.
He threw for 20secs of each round then just like, kinda stood there blinking, i stopped watching in round 5, dunno what happened.

Lennox was in the stadium, must have been cringing.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Bowe was a complete embarrassment Obama, 19stone of middle age.
He threw for 20secs of each round then just like, kinda stood there blinking, i stopped watching in round 5, dunno what happened.

Lennox was in the stadium, must have been cringing.
hey man, I bet Lennox would look really bad if he came back too. :laugh:

Heavyweights retire and get big man....Joe Frazier is the only Heavyweight I know who stayed small after retirement.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry if i didn't mention more "big names" but i was trying to make a point. I mean its a shame to see respected fighters lose their credibility. In that perspective i would like to see them stop at the peak of their carrees. Lennox should stay retired and maybe Joe Calzaghe should hang up the gloves at this moment.
Saturday 20/12 i will be ringside at the Baldomir / Osei Bonsu fight and i wonder if it will be the end of another career?

That is why i love the 49/0, its beautifull to see a champ retire undefeated...

PS thanks for the replies, as you can see i'm here to learn and i'm impressed with the quality of the posts on this board, THX;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts