Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the gym today and more and more I feel like the guys who work there dont give a crap about me being there. I saved up so I could pay for a whole year in advance and even gave one the trainers 130 bucks for 20 private lessons. I dont think doing what im doing will have me fight ready soon but with my trainer its always hit or miss hes in and out all day. Hes also a professional fighter so maybe it was my mistake thinking he would train me but damn i feel like noone cares there. Is he waiting for me to prove myself or something maybe? what do you guys think? Maybe boxing is a sport you learn alot on your own because i dont see anyone else getting a whole lot of attention, but they also arent there all the time. I think ill start a thread for all my gripes so i dont have to start a whole bunch of new ones:cheeky4:
 

·
Mental Midget
Joined
·
4,170 Posts
How long have you been training there ? Have you done any sparring yet ? Dont get too discouraged. Try to work as hard as you can, and when you think your ready, show them that you wanna get in there and get some sparring experience. A good trainer will also be more inclined to spend more time working with you if your asking questions, and showing alot of interest, trying to learn. Keep your chin up, and train hard my friend, if your giving it your all, they will respect that. Remember that the pros and boxers with upcoming bouts will get more attention, and deservedly so.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Texas Tyrant said:
Went to the gym today and more and more I feel like the guys who work there dont give a crap about me being there. I saved up so I could pay for a whole year in advance and even gave one the trainers 130 bucks for 20 private lessons. I dont think doing what im doing will have me fight ready soon but with my trainer its always hit or miss hes in and out all day. Hes also a professional fighter so maybe it was my mistake thinking he would train me but damn i feel like noone cares there. Is he waiting for me to prove myself or something maybe? what do you guys think? Maybe boxing is a sport you learn alot on your own because i dont see anyone else getting a whole lot of attention, but they also arent there all the time. I think ill start a thread for all my gripes so i dont have to start a whole bunch of new ones:cheeky4:
When you go in there, work out like theres no tommorow. Also when your trainer is there,ask him how to do stuff, and perfect the stuff they taught you. Trust me, if youve been going there long enough, they notice you. If the gym you go to is anything like the one I go to, there is a sort of mutual respect thing because you go in there, work you butt off, and go home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys i thought about it awhile and figured i was just thinking too much. I have been sparring a few times now captain (with my chin down) and thought maybe it was because i sucked at it noone cared. But the last time i sparred it finally clicked and i wasnt so scared to get hit so i let my hands go and the owner of the gym said i impressed the hell out of him because i show alot of heart. So hes cool maybe im just expecting too much oout this other guy. I am just the type of guy who learns more when told what to do all the time. I can do all the stuff i do at the gym at home so when i go to thegym i want a hardcore workout and when i dont get it i get mad for wasting my time
:mad: anyway this forum kicks ass keep up the good responses. Other forums are full of people who think they are the **** because they box and put their nose up to you when you ask ?s so thanks again
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Texas Tyrant said:
thanks guys i thought about it awhile and figured i was just thinking too much. I have been sparring a few times now captain (with my chin down) and thought maybe it was because i sucked at it noone cared. But the last time i sparred it finally clicked and i wasnt so scared to get hit so i let my hands go and the owner of the gym said i impressed the hell out of him because i show alot of heart. So hes cool maybe im just expecting too much oout this other guy. I am just the type of guy who learns more when told what to do all the time. I can do all the stuff i do at the gym at home so when i go to thegym i want a hardcore workout and when i dont get it i get mad for wasting my time
:mad: anyway this forum kicks ass keep up the good responses. Other forums are full of people who think they are the **** because they box and put their nose up to you when you ask ?s so thanks again
Your quite welcome. ;) I my self (I don't mean to brag) draw attention to my self, not because I'm a loud mouth or anything. People just watch me, and they compliment me either for my form, my big right hand, my fast jab, or something or other. The one guy walked up to me after I sparred and told me I was a young, little Rocky Marciano (which was a great compliment). It is cool knowing you have potential. Another thing is, my trainer told me that Larry (Larry Holmes,I go to his gym) pays attention to, and helps the younger people he see's something in.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
Texas Tyrant said:
thanks guys i thought about it awhile and figured i was just thinking too much. I have been sparring a few times now captain (with my chin down) and thought maybe it was because i sucked at it noone cared. But the last time i sparred it finally clicked and i wasnt so scared to get hit so i let my hands go and the owner of the gym said i impressed the hell out of him because i show alot of heart. So hes cool maybe im just expecting too much oout this other guy. I am just the type of guy who learns more when told what to do all the time. I can do all the stuff i do at the gym at home so when i go to thegym i want a hardcore workout and when i dont get it i get mad for wasting my time
:mad: anyway this forum kicks ass keep up the good responses. Other forums are full of people who think they are the **** because they box and put their nose up to you when you ask ?s so thanks again
yes my freind this is the best forum remember to recomend it to your freinds. :D

you say you've sparred and been complemented. well thats you noticed now so thats a good thing.

dont be afraid to ask your trainer especialy if your paying good money to him. if he's not busy ask him if he could do some pad work with you or give you some tips on the bags, you'll find most trainers who see someone keen on learning they will pay a bit more atension to them than the loud mouths who talk a good fight. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
daveDaboxingfan said:
Some times its chemistry between fighter and trainer.
Also remember
"orquesta pagada no toca bien"
And
orquesta sin cobrar toca mejor"
:confused:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Texas Tyrant said:
ahhh gotcha!
Oh yeah, if you want to earn a little more respect, if someone bigger and better than you challenges you to spar, spar him. Give it your all, and if you are losing, think to yourself, this might not go my way, but I am going to give him a good fight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bill1234 said:
Oh yeah, if you want to earn a little more respect, if someone bigger and better than you challenges you to spar, spar him. Give it your all, and if you are losing, think to yourself, this might not go my way, but I am going to give him a good fight.
Actually i have done that heres another funny story for you:

It was probably my second week boxing and I was in the gym when this drunk guy comes in with his nephew to show him the place. He was being real friendly with me then later while I was shadowboxing in the ring he asked if i wanted to spar. I said I havent sparred yet that im brand new and he said its ok i havent sparred inyears ill go easy on you. So, not knowing what to expect I say sure and he even tells me dont worry about headgear he wont hit me hard. Well, we get in and he proceeds to beat my ass from one sid of the ring to the other. Finally a staff guy saw us and said we needed to put headgear on at which point this smug bastard said nah id kill em! He later came up to me to see if i was okay or pissed off i told him no that ill see him in there in 6 months!! he luaghed. I guess he was trying to sho off in front of his nephew
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Texas Tyrant said:
Actually i have done that heres another funny story for you:

It was probably my second week boxing and I was in the gym when this drunk guy comes in with his nephew to show him the place. He was being real friendly with me then later while I was shadowboxing in the ring he asked if i wanted to spar. I said I havent sparred yet that im brand new and he said its ok i havent sparred inyears ill go easy on you. So, not knowing what to expect I say sure and he even tells me dont worry about headgear he wont hit me hard. Well, we get in and he proceeds to beat my ass from one sid of the ring to the other. Finally a staff guy saw us and said we needed to put headgear on at which point this smug bastard said nah id kill em! He later came up to me to see if i was okay or pissed off i told him no that ill see him in there in 6 months!! he luaghed. I guess he was trying to sho off in front of his nephew
Heres a story for you now, this happened about a mont ago. A guy walked into the gym, it was his first day, and he said "I wanna spar" my trainer said "no, your not ready yet", then he kept huffing and puffing about it, then the trainer said sure, you will spar John (not his reall name, just a cover up name for real life), well,John is 13 years old (i am telling the truth here) and he has been boxing for 7 years. John and his brother are the best in there and always beat up on the guys in there 20's and 30's. Then the guy said "you don't understand, I'm 27 years old, I'm a street fighter! You don't know how much power I have!", then Johns brother Bob (again not his real name), said "well you aint gonna get the chance to use it." then the guy was all pissed. Well, John and the street fighter got in the ring. John beat the crap out of him. The street fighter was throwing punches from his butt, and John was hitting him 10-12 times at a time and still not going his hardest. Then the street fighter threw a back hand, John blocked it. Then the street fighter threw another one, and it grazed John. John then hit him with about 30 unanswered punches and the bell wrang. The street fighter wasn't aloud to go on, and he was making a fit about it. His face was all red and swollen. SO what does he do? He challenges the biggest guy in there!!! He challenged a guy who's nick name is Bruiser. Bruiser is about 6'4-6'5, and weighs about 260lbs. He is a pro who is 4 and 0 with 4 KO's. They didn't let them spar, and threw the guy out.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
bill1234 said:
Heres a story for you now, this happened about a mont ago. A guy walked into the gym, it was his first day, and he said "I wanna spar" my trainer said "no, your not ready yet", then he kept huffing and puffing about it, then the trainer said sure, you will spar John (not his reall name, just a cover up name for real life), well,John is 13 years old (i am telling the truth here) and he has been boxing for 7 years. John and his brother are the best in there and always beat up on the guys in there 20's and 30's. Then the guy said "you don't understand, I'm 27 years old, I'm a street fighter! You don't know how much power I have!", then Johns brother Bob (again not his real name), said "well you aint gonna get the chance to use it." then the guy was all pissed. Well, John and the street fighter got in the ring. John beat the crap out of him. The street fighter was throwing punches from his butt, and John was hitting him 10-12 times at a time and still not going his hardest. Then the street fighter threw a back hand, John blocked it. Then the street fighter threw another one, and it grazed John. John then hit him with about 30 unanswered punches and the bell wrang. The street fighter wasn't aloud to go on, and he was making a fit about it. His face was all red and swollen. SO what does he do? He challenges the biggest guy in there!!! He challenged a guy who's nick name is Bruiser. Bruiser is about 6'4-6'5, and weighs about 260lbs. He is a pro who is 4 and 0 with 4 KO's. They didn't let them spar, and threw the guy out.
i love to see these muppets who come in get punished, ive actualy punished a few myself. :laugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
When I was still boxing rarely did we ever have somebody come into the gym off the street wanting to take on the boxers. But it did happen on some occasions and they always ended up getting a royal butt-kick.

I don't know how things are in the UK and others places, but I know how things are now here. If you were to hurt somebody in a situation like today that's a way for you, or the club, and probably both to end up in the court room some where and a lawsuit.

And if your a pro, you could really have a problem if you hurt a guy in situation like that, not only could your boxing license be suspended over it. But you could also end up serving some serious jail time.

If your amatuer it wouldn't be as serious, but the club could end up in a court room and a lawsuit over it.

Its a dam fool thing for club to allow things like that to ever happen in the gym.

JJC
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
JCC said:
When I was still boxing rarely did we ever have somebody come into the gym off the street wanting to take on the boxers. But it did happen on some occasions and they always ended up getting a royal butt-kick.

I don't know how things are in the UK and others places, but I know how things are now here. If you were to hurt somebody in a situation like today that's a way for you, or the club, and probably both to end up in the court room some where and a lawsuit.

And if your a pro, you could really have a problem if you hurt a guy in situation like that, not only could your boxing license be suspended over it. But you could also end up serving some serious jail time.

If your amatuer it wouldn't be as serious, but the club could end up in a court room and a lawsuit over it.

Its a dam fool thing for club to allow things like that to ever happen in the gym.

JJC
The world today is way to serious. If I should make even the slightest racial remark, some group of fools out there would take it to heart and offence, and sue me for millions of dollars, even if it was just a joke. The world is just to serious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
bill1234 said:
Yep. Now if you get into a fight at school they call the cops etc.
When I was a kid, if you got into a fight at school. They may would send you home for the day or something like that but that usually was about all that would happen usually.

And at the local boys club whenever two kids got into a fight. They'd just haul them both off down stairs to the gym and to put the gloves in them and to put them in the ring and to just let them fight it out.

But if they were to do things such as that today, you'd would end up in a court room some where and in a law suit.

Those who weren't born down in the boom docks like I was and in that time in the 1950s like I was, and to have lived in a tough neigborhood like I did growing up may not would be able to relate to all that.

Life was more simple then, and not complicated as things are today.

JJC
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top