Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What ffirst got you into boxing?

What was the fist ever fight you watched?

Was it a good fight, a lousey one?

No matter how daft what is your first memory or recolection of this fight or of boxing generally?

Tell us what your favourite fights why do you love them so much?

What is your favourite era of boxing?

Can you name some boxers that you have really liked where they might not have made it to the top but you have pulled for them and can you tell us why you hoped they would do well?

What defining moments in boxing (defining for you) made you sit up and think wow I have to re-evaluate what boxing is and how a guy can do it in the ring?

If we could have a couple of rules this might work well.

1 Only answer the questions don't go beyond them

2 ZERO hate of any description only positive experiences of your boxers allowed

3 ZERO commentating or judgement on the subjective experiences of others. If you take part it is to give your subjective experiences.

If the mods could be a bit strict on these rules being kept we might just get a continual stream of positive boxing stories that we can all enjoy....

Bar our own singular post it should be a thread where the ears are more important than the mouth and a thread more about listening to others......friggin nightmare for me and my mouth Haha

I'll post my answers tomorrow....really interested in the range of experiences that we might get on this.

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
What first got you into Boxing? Well I've always liked boxing, but the Middleweight tournament in 2001 really got me into Boxing. It was the four best of the division against eachother and it's definitely something Boxing needs right now.

What was the fist ever fight you watched? First fight I ever watched was Mike Tyson vs Francois Botha.

Was it a good fight, a lousey one? A pretty boring fight. Tyson wasn't in shape, he was shot to pieces by this time and he only got worse as the fights went on.

No matter how daft what is your first memory or recolection of this fight or of Boxing generally? My first memory of Boxing in general was Bernard Hopkins knocking Felix Trinidad out. Put it like this, Bernard Hopkins is the man that got me into Boxing.

Tell us what your favourite fights why do you love them so much? Bernard Hopkins vs Felix Trinidad. Bernard Hopkins vs Kelly Pavlik. Mike Tyson vs Michael Spinks. Well Hopkins/Trinidad was the first GREAT fight I watched. Hopkins was mesmerising on the night, he was out of this world. The way he just dismantled Trinidad was phenomenal. Hopkins/Pavlik because so many doubted Hopkins yet once again he proved to the world that he is exactly what he says he is, a modern day legend. Tyson/Spinks because Tyson is THE MAN. The most entertaining Heavyweight of the last twenty-five years IMO. Very few will ever top him, had potential to be THE GREATEST but he never fulfilled it. One of the sports true sad stories.

What is your favourite era of boxing? I'd say the 80s/90s were great. This past decade has been good, we've seen some good Boxing but way to much emphasis on undefeated streaks and PPVs. It seems like when a fight loses that 0 it's the end of his career and he's shot in any fight after. The 80s were great for obvious reasons. The 90s had a **** load of potential and some great fights. This past decade has seen the rise of my favourite Boxer, so I'm happy.

Can you name some boxers that you have really liked where they might not have made it to the top but you have pulled for them and can you tell us why you hoped they would do well? I'd say that Danny Williams is a guy who I like, but unfortunately he never made it to the top. Junior Witter never did what he wanted and that's a fight with Ricky Hatton, so in some respects he never really made it to the top of the sport. So Witter, Williams & I can also say that Mike Tyson never regained his spot at the top. A win over Bruce Seldon, an old Frank Bruno and Peter McNeeley don't do it for me. Tyson unfortunately went onto a permanent decline from his fight with Buster Douglas and one he never really recovered from.

What defining moments in boxing (defining for you) made you sit up and think wow I have to re-evaluate what boxing is and how a guy can do it in the ring? The Middleweight Title tournament. To put it frankly, how Hopkins could do to Trinidad what he did is beyond me. The way he completely dismantled him but made it entertaining. Oscar De La Hoya beat Trinidad, but he made it very boring. Hopkins on the other hand did it, but did it in style and closed the show in the 12th round. It doesn't get any better then that!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
What first got you into boxing? My mother and father were big Tito Trinidad fans so i would always be playing video games in my room about 8 or 9 or possibly younger and i'd hear yelling and cheering and i'd come out of my room and see whats all the yelling about and sometimes i'd sit down and watch the fight.

Most likely a Trinidad fight but the one i remember most is De La Hoya/Trinidad i did sit down and actually watch it unlike other fights.

Was it a good fight, a lousey one? It was a great fight i was all excited watching it.

No matter how daft what is your first memory or recolection of this fight or of boxing generally? Trinidad came out with the controversial decision :D

Tell us what your favourite fights why do you love them so much? Miguel Cotto Vs Sugar Shane Mosley. Evander Holyfield Vs George Foreman. Felix Tito Trinidad Vs Fernando Vargas. How could you not like those fights..way too good.

The 80's and 90's

Can you name some boxers that you have really liked where they might not have made it to the top but you have pulled for them and can you tell us why you hoped they would do well? I normally can't get into certain fights that the people are not known unless their style is amazing like Andre Berto i remember first watching him and going holy **** wow this guy is good. That's how i started watching him cause he was exciting.

What defining moments in boxing (defining for you) made you sit up and think wow I have to re-evaluate what boxing is and how a guy can do it in the ring?
Nope not really...
My answers are in bold :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
What first got you into Boxing? Well I've always liked boxing, but the Middleweight tournament in 2001 really got me into Boxing. It was the four best of the division against eachother and it's definitely something Boxing needs right now.

What was the fist ever fight you watched? First fight I ever watched was Mike Tyson vs Francois Botha.

Was it a good fight, a lousey one? A pretty boring fight. Tyson wasn't in shape, he was shot to pieces by this time and he only got worse as the fights went on.

No matter how daft what is your first memory or recolection of this fight or of Boxing generally? My first memory of Boxing in general was Bernard Hopkins knocking Felix Trinidad out. Put it like this, Bernard Hopkins is the man that got me into Boxing.

Tell us what your favourite fights why do you love them so much? Bernard Hopkins vs Felix Trinidad. Bernard Hopkins vs Kelly Pavlik. Mike Tyson vs Michael Spinks. Well Hopkins/Trinidad was the first GREAT fight I watched. Hopkins was mesmerising on the night, he was out of this world. The way he just dismantled Trinidad was phenomenal. Hopkins/Pavlik because so many doubted Hopkins yet once again he proved to the world that he is exactly what he says he is, a modern day legend. Tyson/Spinks because Tyson is THE MAN. The most entertaining Heavyweight of the last twenty-five years IMO. Very few will ever top him, had potential to be THE GREATEST but he never fulfilled it. One of the sports true sad stories.

What is your favourite era of boxing? I'd say the 80s/90s were great. This past decade has been good, we've seen some good Boxing but way to much emphasis on undefeated streaks and PPVs. It seems like when a fight loses that 0 it's the end of his career and he's shot in any fight after. The 80s were great for obvious reasons. The 90s had a **** load of potential and some great fights. This past decade has seen the rise of my favourite Boxer, so I'm happy.

Can you name some boxers that you have really liked where they might not have made it to the top but you have pulled for them and can you tell us why you hoped they would do well? I'd say that Danny Williams is a guy who I like, but unfortunately he never made it to the top. Junior Witter never did what he wanted and that's a fight with Ricky Hatton, so in some respects he never really made it to the top of the sport. So Witter, Williams & I can also say that Mike Tyson never regained his spot at the top. A win over Bruce Seldon, an old Frank Bruno and Peter McNeeley don't do it for me. Tyson unfortunately went onto a permanent decline from his fight with Buster Douglas and one he never really recovered from.

What defining moments in boxing (defining for you) made you sit up and think wow I have to re-evaluate what boxing is and how a guy can do it in the ring? The Middleweight Title tournament. To put it frankly, how Hopkins could do to Trinidad what he did is beyond me. The way he completely dismantled him but made it entertaining. Oscar De La Hoya beat Trinidad, but he made it very boring. Hopkins on the other hand did it, but did it in style and closed the show in the 12th round. It doesn't get any better then that!
:thumbsup: Bernard Hopkins got me into boxing too. I remember watching Winky Wright Vs. Bernard Hopkins and telling my mom i wanna start boxing and i also started watching a lot more fires. But i got into boxing with also the help of old memories of fights.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts

No matter how daft what is your first memory or recolection of this fight or of boxing generally?

Can you name some boxers that you have really liked where they might not have made it to the top but you have pulled for them and can you tell us why you hoped they would do well?

3 ZERO commentating or judgement on the subjective experiences of others. If you take part it is to give your subjective experiences.

If the mods could be a bit strict on these rules being kept we might just get a continual stream of positive boxing stories that we can all enjoy....

Bar our own singular post it should be a thread where the ears are more important than the mouth and a thread more about listening to others......friggin nightmare for me and my mouth Haha

I'll post my answers tomorrow....really interested in the range of experiences that we might get on this.
I first got into boxing after going on you tube and searching for fights from 80's and 90's. i remember seeing prince naz's fights again and thinking that was a good fight irrespective of who it was against. i remember watching about 1 hour with a girl at work and even she was thinking it was cool. i was young when i first saw boxing but i think you really need to have gone through puberty to really experience it. so yeah i only recently got into boxing again (2006) and this time i wasn't just watching it, i was really into it like getting friends into and putting money to watch it. i started buying dvd's and it is now my favourite sport.

my first fight was nigel benn vs gerald mcclellan at age 10 in 1995. i didn't really know anything about it and remember my best mate telling me nigel benn was in prison for rape or something. it was a great fight but i didn't really know it until i re-watched it. very exciting. nigel benn is one of my favourite boxers.

yeah it was a good fight after seeing at as an adult.

i remember that benn was in prison and came out, and that he was very happy and the doctor's had to help the other guy.

my favourite fight is naz vs kevin kelly. a lot of hype and it was entertaining and yeah naz is one of my favourites.

i am not knowledgeable enough for an era but i am definitely enjoying this.

i always liked howard eastman for some reason even though he isn't that great. also danny williams seems a nice guy.

i don't ever evaluate why a boxer is in the ring. everyman has a story and a purpose to do something.

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
What first got you into Boxing? I've never boxed before but I have always used its training because it keeps you in great shape and it helps me keep my wind. I feel like I could go 12 rounds right now :laugh:

The first fight I ever watched had to be Roy Jones Jr vs. Bernard Hopkins in 1993. In fact this is where me and my bro divided...B-Hop is his favorite fighter for the same reason Roy Jones Jr is my favorite fighter...who knew that we were going to pick two living legends in this era.

It wasn't the greatest fight. B-Hop did use his rough house tactics by holding him and trapping him against the ropes. But I guess as time went on, I realized that was part of his gameplan.

No matter how daft what is your first memory or recolection of this fight or of Boxing generally?
How fast RJs hands were.

Tell us what your favourite fights why do you love them so much? Roy Jones Jr vs James Toney, Roy Jones Jr vs. David Telesco (fight too funny), Allan Green vs. Edison Miranda, Joe Calzaghe vs. Jeff Lacy (classic fight where speed dominates power), Bernard Hopkins vs. Tito Trinidad, Roy Jones Jr vs. Tarver I, II, III; Roy Jones Jr vs. John Ruiz, Bernard Hopkins vs. Joe Calzaghe, Evander Holyfield vs. Lennox Lewis I,II and more. I just like seeing the unthinkable. Two great fighters going at it and testing the will of the other boxer.

What is your favourite era of boxing? My favorite era would have to be the 90s since that's where my favorite fighter, Roy Jones Jr, dominated all competition.

Can you name some boxers that you have really liked where they might not have made it to the top but you have pulled for them and can you tell us why you hoped they would do well? My favorite four fighters are Roy Jones Jr, James Toney, Bernard Hopkins, and then Glen Johnson and obviously they made it. But some of my other favorite fighters that haven't gave rise to their pinnacle are Allan Green, Sakio Bika, and Edison Miranda. Allan Green I think can still be great, he just has to get in the ring and fight real competition instead of bums. That colon issue messed him up along with that supsension (or the lack there of).

Miranda I thought was going to make for obvious reasons. His power and his heart will never let him quit. But just like James Toney, he is too far from his comfortable fighting weight. He needs to be fighting at LHW or Cruiser to get back in the mix. I didn't really think Bika was going to be the greatest. His fighting style is what makes him one of my favorite fighters but his style is also his downfall. He's slow and doesn't really have a jab. But his aggressive way of fighting and power slugging makes him a fan favorite.

What defining moments in boxing (defining for you) made you sit up and think wow I have to re-evaluate what boxing is and how a guy can do it in the ring? When Roy Jones Jr won the World Heavyweight title against Ruiz and when RJ was KO'ed against Tarver.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
What first got you into boxing?

Mike Tyson

Oscar Delahoya vs Julio Cesar Chavez in 1996.

Great fight

Bloody, amazing crowd.

Gatti - Ward, amazing action, no meaning. Just War.

I live in the "now"

Theres not to many that I've picked that didnt make it to the top. Top being very vague that is. I'd say possibly, ya know what, I honestly can't think of anyone.

Almost every Manny Pacquiao fight makes me say wow.

G

·
What first got you into Boxing?
Funnily enough it was amateur boxing, Wayne McCullough and Michael Carruth in the 92 Olympics

only had bogstandard irish Tv,so seen Mike Tyson v Buster Douglas and then the olympics with the two above, cant remember which one of the two lads i saw first in the olympics fight i saw them in first

i was 9 i loved it:laugh:

No matter how daft what is your first memory or recolection of this fight or of Boxing generally?

An Irish man winnning a gold and another winning a silver medal.

Tito v Hopkins, the emotion after 9/11 and the masterclass bhop put on. Steve Collins v Eubank, the atmosphere in Mill Street that night will never be seen again, not even Rickys homecoming comes close and Steves performance was nothing short of sensational. then obviously Chico v Castillo, Barrera v Morales, Gatti v Ward all of them, Hatton v Tszyu, Bhop v Pavlik purely for the fact he put in the masterclass he did.

the 90s, boxing in UK and Ireland probably will never see its like again. so many top fighters all fighting each other, not like modern boxing

Although Wayne was a world champ i really really wanted him to beat naz that night, he fell short though, just like at the olympic final. Michael Gomez is another, he is a headcase though so it didnt help him,loved these two cos they are fellow irishmen and because they gave everything in the ring.

Chico rising from brutal knockdowns in the tenth to beat Castillio.Collins beating Eubank.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Seeing the massive hype surrounding big fights, and the fact that it's such an event.

Can't remember for sure, think it was probably Lewis-Tyson, then Oscar-Vargas not long after.

Both amazing.

The hype that surrounded the big HW fight and Oscar's left hook.

Barrera-Morales - War
De la Hoya-Vargas - Ain't it obvious? :D
Hatton-Tszyu - Great Hatton performance.
Marquez-Pacquiao II - Great fight, very underrated. My favourite fight of the year.

80's was good, although I like the current era.

Dunno really...I'll get back to ya on that one.

The Barrera-Morales trilogy and Morales-Pacquiao I. Chico coming back against Castillo is up there too.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great posts from everyone so far and really interesting positive nice stuff :)

Glad we're doing this and also glad it doesn't happen too often otherwise this would be a love-in Mary fookin Popins site Haha

Great stuff though...

I'll stick my shizzle on here tomorrow.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
My old mans a big fan and it rubbed off.

I watched Tyson vs Bruno when i was a kid but the fights that really stick in my mind are Benn/Eubabk/Watson.

All great!

Getting back to the first point about Tyson i remember my Dad waiking me up to watch it when i was a kid.

Barrera vs Morales 1. I love both these guys styles, they had the lot. Both were agressive, both could box and both had the heart of lions.

The early to late 90's was awesome, some of my fav fighters of all time fought in that era. Lewis, Chavez, Benn, Oscar, Tyson and Sweetpea to name a few.

Can you name some boxers that you have really liked where they might not have made it to the top have pulled for them and can you tell us why you hoped they would do well?
This ne's easy. :D

Bomber Graham without a doubt. He's probably one of the greatest fighters to never win a world title. I remember him Toying at times with Mike Mcallum before dropping a disputed SD. He then Toyed with Julian Jackson and had Jacksons corner on the verge of stopping it before he got knocked out and much the same happened against Brewer.

Watching video's of Ali before his prime lay off. The Clevland Williams fight has to be the Greatest performance by any boxer ive ever seen. P4P nobody would have touched Ali that night.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
What was the first fight you watched? The first fight I remember watching was the Mike Tyson vs Evander Holyfield I fight

Was it a good fight, a lousey one? Oh yeah, it was a great one :D

No matter how daft what is your first memory or recolection of this fight or of boxing generally? I thought that this fight was the craziest (and still is the craziest) fight that I've ever seen. I felt that boxing was a sport of sheer war and brutality but an art as well.

Tell us what your favourite fights why do you love them so much? Hopkins vs Trinidad (Showed me no matter what the majority says, your fate is in your hands); Evander Holyfield vs James Toney (Just a great fight between to great HOF caliber fighters); Tyson vs Holyfield I & II; Hopkins vs Pavlik (Again proving naysayers wrong); Holyfield vs Bowe (A real bout and the last great heavyweight slugfest IMO); and many many more....

What is your favourite era of boxing? Present

Can you name some boxers that you have really liked where they might not have made it to the top but you have pulled for them and can you tell us why you hoped they would do well? Edision Miranda, because he's a extremely hard working person who had to live through the struggle early in life. From where he came from and where he is now, the man has already succeeded, but this man has a heart of a champ and I would love to see him get a title one day.

What defining moments in boxing (defining for you) made you sit up and think wow I have to re-evaluate what boxing is and how a guy can do it in the ring? Hopkins vs Pavlik, watching a man at that age give a man that young the business was just amazing.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What ffirst got you into boxing? Seeing my first idol Rocky Marciano destroy all comers

What was the fist ever fight you watched? Marciano-Walcott on an old B/W film

Was it a good fight, a lousey one? Great

No matter how daft what is your first memory or recolection of this fight or of boxing generally? The knockout

Has to be Lewis-Holyfield II when Lennox FINALLY won the undisputed title after suffering so many injustices and set backs

What is your favourite era of boxing? 50's through the 90's

Can you name some boxers that you have really liked where they might not have made it to the top but you have pulled for them and can you tell us why you hoped they would do well? Randall Tex Cobb.. A true warrior. Emmanuel Augustus.. Fight anyone anytime

What defining moments in boxing (defining for you) made you sit up and think wow I have to re-evaluate what boxing is and how a guy can do it in the ring? Watching Cassius Clay totally destroy Henry Cooper in that 5th round after the "split glove" affair

·
Beautiful Man
3,552 Posts
What first got you into boxing? a friend of mine.i was at the age of 10.Was impressed as a kid is

Was it a good fight, a lousey one? Everyone fair

Sounds silly but it was that way it was by Tommy,i was woken up by may dad to watch tyson against spinx.great 53 seconds ;)

morales vs. Barrera,not just because all 3 are great fights,both are confident and both are not.

What is your favourite era of boxing? 70´s Hagler,Ali,Foreman,Leonard.......

Can you name some boxers that you have really liked where they might not have made it to the top but you have pulled for them and can you tell us why you hoped they would do well? Kalvin Brock,because he is a very good boxer.Unfortunately the k.o against Wlad turned him down.

What defining moments in boxing (defining for you) made you sit up and think wow I have to re-evaluate what boxing is and how a guy can do it in the ring? Roy Jones Jr.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
What first got you into boxing ?

For me it was Barry McGuigan. I had seen fights prior but my family followed McGuigan's fight and we all gathered around a small colour tv willing him on.

McGuigan was a wonderful fella who you just had to pull for and I think his attitude across Ireland, Northern Ireland and the UK brought people together.

What was the first fight you ever watched?

I think for me it would have been either one of the early televised McGuigan fights or a Hagler, Hearns or SRL fight......harf to say. I know for sure I was watching when I was 11, but I think I was catching bits earlier as well.

The McGuigan fight was a win as were all his fights that we saw on tv then as a family. I remember him winning the European title and then the world against Pedroza.

Great entertainment and Barry won so that made it special. Not sure how good the fights were to a neutral.

I remember the atmosphere in Mcguigan's fights, the crowds of people being brought together was amazing. Over the years the fights have all just rolled up into one in my mind and become a kind of urban myth in my own mind. I don't want to go back and examine any of it as I'd rather keep the memories. McGuigan's dad singing Danny Boy and the crowd....................WOW :)

Tell us what your favourite fights are and why?

I loved the Watson, Benn, Eubank and Collins fights. The contrasting styles, the quality of the fights and boxers and the action involved made then amazing. Hagler, SRL and Tommy Hearns fights were also amazing also and again it was the fact that styles make fights. All the personalities were so different and engaging as well. Loved Tyson prime too. Always got up at 2am to watch Tyson and never felt disappointed...guarenteed excitement.

80s and 90s

The golden era of UK 160/168 fighters in the 90s is very close to my heart as is the 80s clashes between Hagler, Hearns and SRL and the careers of these guys. I mean how can anyone not like what they did?

The 80s/90s was also a great time for the heavies. Loved watching Iron Mike and his devastating hand speed and power finishing everyone off. I started out thinking Holyfield was an over-blown cruiserweight but he showed me wrong with more heart than I have ever seen outside of the Benn Mcclellan fight. Holyfield's heart was amazing and so were the guys fights with Bowe. Heck one of the fights even had an unannounced skydiver land in the ring and get KTFO......crazy and amazing!

Can you name some boxers that you have really liked, where they might not have made it to the top but you have pulled for them and can you tell us why you hoped they would do well?

Kirkland Laing. The guy had stunning tallent, fast hands, hands down unorthodox fighter whose defence was all about agility and reactions. This guy should have won world titles but he had a tendency to party hard and make one big mistake after another....really sad.

I always wanted Dennis Andries to do well and I guess he did but whenever he won a title he would go and blow it and be chasing a belt again. He was just a good old sturdy pro who gave me some enjoyable rucks....just liked the fella.

What defining moments in boxing (defining for you) made you sit up and think wow, I have to re-evaluate what boxing is and how a guy can do it in the ring.

Watching Ali rope-a-dope Big George was astonishing to me as a kid. As a kid you just don't see how that big powerful guy gets nulified......it's called boxing son and it isn't just fighting WOW this sport of boxing is amazing!

Watching Hagler as a technician, the range of punches and the level of control he exerted in his fights by choosing the right tools and style to get the job done. I was and still am amazed by how Hagler always gave himself the perfect amount of room and distance in a fight to fight or box his fight, just perfect footwork.

Hopkins and Calzaghe have blown me away too. Hopkins with his footwork and latteral movement and how he never lets a fighter set his feet and their punches off and the puzzle that he brings to the ring, Calzaghe's adaptability and his willingness to constantly evaluate and change/make alterations in the ring....

·
Registered
4,210 Posts

My dad

What was the first fight you ever wathced?

Well i was problaby 2 at the time so i dont have a clue the earliest i remember watching was Tyson vs Bruno I i was about 4 at the time

Was it a good one?

Not really, Bruno was terrafied

My dad and Mike Tyson (my dad is the biggest Tyson fan i know exept maby Lance :p)

I really like fights that are back to back action, like the Holyfield vs Bowe trilogy Holyfield maby won 1-4 rd but then Bowe came in strong in the middle round and so on thats what i love about boxing when two evanly matched opponent meet it can go either way.

What is your favorite era of boxing?

Cant say the 90s problaby tho since i was alive to witness most of it.

Johnny Bredhal, my dad actually knows the guy so he was always pulling for him, maby not the most talented fighter in the world but he always gave it 100%

Nothing like that ever happened to me, there are far worse things in this world and they are getting payed alot of money for their trouble, nobody forced them into that ring.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
It's great to be able to talk to people who love boxing just as much as i do :D It's unfortunate i try to get my friends into boxing but they're never able to get into it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts