Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Abraham/Miranda II

12K views 363 replies 30 participants last post by  daveDaboxingfan 
#1 · (Edited)
Did you guys watch the re-broadcast of their first fight last night? I had watched it on YouTube a while back, but it was nice to be able to concentrate on the fight and not be distracted by the German commentary which sounded like an audiobook version of Mein Kampf. It was easy to tell that it was kind of awkward for Alberts and Bernstein to comment and give play by play for something that happened a year and a half ago, but after some early rough spots, they ended up doing a decent job. It almost seemed like Bernstein would leave the room every couple of minutes when they were recording the audio tracks.

Anyway, watching it for the second time got me nice and pumped up for the rematch on Saturday. I'm still as impressed as ever with Abraham's intestinal fortitude to finish the fight despite the broken jaw. Problem is, he probably shouldn't have been allowed to keep going. I'm quite sure that had that fight taken place anywhere else but his home country, the ringside doctor wouldn't have given him the option to continue. Not to mention the fact that the doctor called time and actually treated the champ from the apron. This fight also reminded me of how deplorable a job referee Randy Neumann did. I have no gripe with the intentional headbutt being penalized, but two points? The low blow fouls were also very questionable in my book. If a ref is going to take away five points from a guy, shouldn't he have disqualified him already. That shows that he isn't the least bit sure that he made the right calls. That last low blow was just icing on the cake as he didn't penalize him initially but after a minute or two of hearing Abraham groan, he decided to take another one from Abraham. Neumann is a complete joke and I hope I never have to see him again. After this fight, he should have never gotten another title fight like the one in which he let Cotto nearly kill Gomez.

As I said, I'm impressed with Abraham even though he's faced limited competition. He does have big power for a guy with such solid defense and his style is pretty engaging. He's the better boxer and the smarter fighter, but I think Miranda has improved greatly since this fight, even though he was knocked out last year by Kelly Pavlik. Obviously, there's no shame in losing to Pavlik. Yeah, he hasn't decided that defense is more important to him, but his power is only going to be helped by the fact that he won't have to boil down to make 160. His knockout of David Banks is still my pick for KO of the year this year. I just have a feeling that he's very hungry after having two potential opponents appear to run from him in Jean Pascal and Mikkel Kessler. I think he feels slighted for the first fight and he's going to take it out on Abraham in what will be the much more friendly confines of south Florida.

If Abraham comes out on top, though, especially if it's in emphatic fashion, I'll still be ringing the bell for Pavlik/Abraham, in Cleveland or Hamburg, it doesn't really matter.

See less See more
#2 ·
the first fight was about right. aa was in surival mode but he still hit miranda back. if you look at a fighter who isn't scared of miranda's power then they do better than a defensive one. (unless he ko's them). mrianda is great when you don't punch back, but very poor if you do. abraham is slightly better imo and i am not fond of either. a nigel benn would destroy either. a pavlik has already done half of it. i'm awaiting for an aa - pavlik fight.

#6 ·
Miranda only was beaten obviously by one man, and that guy is now the undiputed middleweight champion. (Abraham didn't beat Miranda in most of the US eyes) So one lost in what 34 fights....thats not too shabby. I don't like Abraham because it takes him how long to get his first fight in the US??? I can't even take this guy seroiusly you guys think Miranda sucks, but this was the best guy AA has fight in his entire PRO career, so what does that say about AA.....he's a pretender, and Miranda is the contender. I respect the man with the stiffer competition, and this guy has the guts to call himself the king :laugh: He's a queen IMO, but the dude showed heart with a broken jaw, but it takes more than heart to beat Miranda in a obvious fashion.

#7 ·
Miranda fought a totally different fight that he will fight with this time around. In the first fight he was bouncing on his toes and gave Abraham center ring til his jaw broke. Abraham's combos were explosive but he was covering up for most of the fight, Miranda should have 1 that first one only 1 point for the headbut was legit.

Miranda has a different style now, bounce around trying to box and give the guy center ring. Abraham still does the same thing cover up when his back is to the ropes and throw potent combos. It all depends on how their chins hold up to each others punches, Abraham has the better chin and defense but Miranda has the punching power and if he can hold off AA's combos and not waste as many punches as he did in first fight, Miranda will win either by late ko or UD

#13 ·
just watched mrianda banks again to see if i am wrong on miranda. since some say he ahs improved.

he closes up and gets caught by the right far too easily. a good fighter will hit and win rounds with this. he doesn't even blcoked some of the punchess.

he has a weak jab that doesn't hit. a counter puncher would hit him all day long.

he found it hard to hit a banks, whom doesn't punch much and has one of the worse footwork on the planet. although that right that ko'd banks was sweet. banks left was far too low in the whole fight considering miranda is a power puncher. shudda kept your left up instead of punch banks lol

if he does ko abraham then i will say he has learnt a lot and he has a few years to become good.

#30 ·
You must of missed the part where his corner said he couldn't continue.

Those are good points. And i know Abe is looking for a Pavlik fight. But Miranda also has a lot to lose. Another loss will really hurt his career. He always blamed making weight as his reasons for losing. He doesn't have that excuse right now. He loses this weekend. He loses future big fights.
Miranda style will always get him big fights.

#43 ·
At the end of the day its what the germans do. They'll try and gewt any unfair advantage they can.

God damn promoter wrang the bell half way through the round when Williams had the guy hurt. :laugh:

#53 ·

Miranda ripped and ready!

Wednesday, June 18 2008

By Karl Freitag / Photo: Karl Freitag

"This fight is going to be the most important fight for me," says Edison 'Pantera' Miranda about his much anticipated rematch with IBF middleweight titleholder Arthur Abraham on Saturday night. "I'm ready. I've prepared for this fight [it seems like] forever, and I'm going to take care of business." Miranda shook out for a few minutes Tuesday night in an outdoor ring set up outside the fight venue, and drew some oohs and awes from an enthusiastic crowd when he removed his shirt to reveal an extremely ripped physique. He is in tremendous condition. "Right now I'm chilling, relaxing and just waiting for this fight," said Miranda. "I'm not nervous at all and I'll put him to sleep in the ninth round!"

#64 ·
I hope AA knocks out Miranda, this guy is a punk and a dirty fighter, I dont respect him at all. Besides, I always cheer for my fellow countrymen. AA has the heart of a lion, he lost so much blood in the first fight, and still kept fighting and was game the whole time, and Miranda still could not put him away. I hope that jaw doesnt cause any problems for this fight, lets go AA knock this punk out.

#65 ·
Normally its a TKO when you break your jaw or any bone but I guess in Germany they have different rules or whatever lol. Miranda is no punk though...dirty fighter...maybe...but by far he's no punk. When you have the power to break someone's jaw?! I'm still amazed by the force he has in his punches. Miranda is a beast in the ring and has tremendous heart. Abraham will feel his wrath when they fight this weekend. Its going to be a great fight and it could go either way. But I'm saying Miranda by brutal KO or Abraham by UD are the possible outcomes IMO...but like what I said I'm predicting a late round stoppage in favor for Miranda.

#66 ·
The odds are pretty good on vbookie(2.05) and I'm going all-in on Miranda!

I'm not so sure about it but thats my pick, I can see either a KO by Miranda or even a decision in his favor... He might win a couple of rounds by simply being the agressor and the one backing Abraham up. Some people said Miranda improved technically but we're about to find out, the point is, I didnt like what I saw from Abraham in his last fight, he took too long to take taht bum out and he wasnt very active..:dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.