Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which of the following actors were professional boxers either before or during their acting careers?

Victor McLaglen

Bob Hope

Jack Palance

Robert Conrad

John Diehl

Mickey Rourke

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Ken Norton was a guest star on the show in the 80's called the A-Team. The A-Team has Mr.T as the main character. Mr. T beat the crap out of Norton.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Others

Marion "The Duke" Morrison --- Also know as John Wayne
He only fought at the amiture level, but he did box.

Tony Danza -- Actually went 9-3 in his carrer.

Tommy Morrison -- I do not know if you can call him an actor, but he was in a movie and did play a key role. Rocky 5

·
Registered
198 Posts
bill1234 said:
Marvin Hagler makes westerns now.

I thought he was making Italian Action Movies. To what I heard he is quite big over there. (I guess if your from Italy, it would be here :lol: sorry I am from across the pond.)

·
Registered
168 Posts
:thumbsdown: All of them. John Diehl was on Miami Vice and then decided he was a tough guy and was knocked unconcious in his firts and last pro fight. What a moron!

As fro Rourke, he finished with a 6--0-2 record agaisnt dead bodies and side of stale beef. Another real nut hugger.

The others were the real McCoy, but these two were imbeciles who had no buisness in a boxing ring and tained the sport wit thier presnce..

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :

·
Registered
168 Posts
Dr Wisdom, Hagler has not made a movie in many, many years. He livess about two miles from me here in the White Mountians of New Hampshire.

Morison's first name is Tommy; not Marion.

·
Registered
286 Posts
T he great director John Houston boxed in his late teens.He was finally able to make a boxing movie. I can't remember its name but it had Stacey Keach fight in a come back fight against a journeyman and win.Ted would remember the name of the movie and the name of the famous hispanic boxer who portrayed the journeyman.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
answers for you

To all of you who replied,
Before seeing your replies to my question about actors who were boxers, I had started putting my answers in a separate thread. Here are the answers:

Victor McLaglen was born in England in either 1883 or 1886 and died in 1959. His film career lasted from 1920 through 1958. Because he wasn't a recent performer, like Tony Danza, I thought none of you would know about him. Prior to his acting career, McLaglen boxed as a heavyweight under the name Sharkey McLaglen. That was from 1908 to 1920. In March of 1909, in his first match after winning the heavyweight title, Jack
Johnson went six rounds with McLaglen in an exhibition bout. McLaglen's career record was ten wins, six losses, one draw, and one no contest. The no contest happened when McLaglen's corner man accidentally doused him with ammonia that made him unable to continue the bout.

McLaglen began working in silent films. After the advent of sound, he became what was known as a "character actor", playing tough guys. For his 1935 role in The Informer, he won the Academy Award for Best Actor. He also co-starred with John Wayne in She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Fort Apache, and, perhaps most memorably, in The Quiet Man. In the latter, he and Wayne, who plays an ex-fighter, have a long, comical fistfight near the end of the film while the Irish townsfolk are watching them.

As for John Wayne, I have no knowledge that he was an amateur boxer. But if so, my question was only about professionals.
His original name was Marion Morrison. The ex-fighter Tommy Morrison is his
grandnephew. According to Movie News, Tommy Morrison only worked once on the television series Cybill and in the film Rocky V. Morrison's eight year fight career came to an end in 1996 when he tested positive for HIV, which causes AIDS.

Bob Hope I thought was a prizefighter. But he was only an amateur, briefly, as Packy East.

Jack Palance, according to Movie News, that you can access over Google, won fifteen of sixteen fights as heavyweight Jack Brazzo. But Boxing Record Archives lists only his last fight, a loss, against Jack Baksi on Dec. 17, 1940.

More later on this topic

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To Finish About Actors/boxers

To continue about Jack Palance, if you don't know who he was, he has an acting career that goes back to the 1940s. His rough voice, arched eyebrows and prominent cheekbones served him well in roles such as the vicious gunslinger in Shane, Attila the Hun, and on television in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. In 1991 he won the Oscar for Best Actor for his part in City Slickers. Running out of words to say during his acceptance
speech, the seventy-two year old Palance suddenly got down on the floor and did one-armed pushups.

Robert Conrad is most well-known for his roles in the television series Wild Wild West and Baa Baa Black Sheep, later called Black Sheep Squadron. In 1960, years after beginning his acting career, Conrad became a professional middleweight boxer. His record is four wins, two knockouts, and one draw. He retired from the ring in 1962. During that time, he also was acting.

Wild Wild West aired in 1965 through 1969. While rehearsing a stunt on it,
Conrad fell twelve feet, headfirst, on to a concrete floor. Production on the show had to be halted for months while he recovered. In 1992 Geraldo Rivera,
who considered himself quite a pugilist, challenged Conrad to a boxing match.
The fight was to be in New York City and ticket sales would raise money for
charity. Conrad turned him down, probably because he couldn't take blows to his head after being injured. Rivera instead fought an experienced amateur fighter and got a beating, being cornered more than once and getting a bloody nose. But the fight did go to a decision, a loss for him.

Boxing remained a part of Conrad's image. He played a sparring partner in a
boxing gym in an episode of Mission Impossible. In one show of the series Baa
Baa Black Sheep, as the legendary "Pappy" Boyington of World War II fame, he was in a boxing match with the bad guy. The real Boyington had been an
amateur wrestling champion and loved that sport.

In the 2000s, Conrad was seriously injured in an auto accident caused by his speeding. He has had to undergo much surgery and rehabilitation.

John Diehl was a regular on the television series Miami Vice in 1985 when he quit the show to become a middleweight boxer at the age of thirty-five. He
had two fights. The first was against DeBoe Bickering on December 21, 1985. Diehl won that one by a knockout in the first round. On April 11, 1986 he lost on points to Eugene Holly in four rounds. Even though he could have been knocked out or TKOd, Diehl quit the ring after that loss. Oh well, if we don't try, we'll never know, right?

Mickey Rourke had been an amateur boxer as a teenager, with twelve knockouts in a row. After having success as an actor, he was a light-heavyweight boxer from 1991-1994, with a record of six wins, two draws, five kos.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Deihl was ko'd something fierce in his second fight. Out like a light. Roarke was a nut hugger who couln't fight his way out of a paper bag. TWO BIG TIME PHONIES! :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
29 Posts
george forman was a boxer who had a tv sho

50cent was in a movie and he used to box

Dempsey made several films

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tedsares said:
Deihl was ko'd something fierce in his second fight. Out like a light.
Tedsares,
According to Boxing Record Archives, John Diehl was defeated by
Eugene Holly on points. It was scheduled for four rounds and went to the end.

Out of Holly's twenty-two fights, his only win was against Diehl.
In his six bouts before that match, Holly had been kod three times and tkod three times. The question was not why Diehl should have been fighting but why someone as incompetent as Holly was allowed into a ring.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Regardless of what the records say, John Diehl was knocked unconnsiouss, iced, ko's, knocked cold, out like a light, whatever. Dont always believe what you read.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tedsares said:
Regardless of what the records say, John Diehl was knocked unconnsiouss, iced, ko's, knocked cold, out like a light, whatever. Dont always believe what you read.
Tedsares,
Where did you read or from whom did you hear that Diehl was knocked out by Holly?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I never said he was ko'd by Holly. All I know is that he was ko's by someone. I remeber that as if it were yesterday. I always like to see so-called "tough guys" get their comeuppance when they step up. Maybe I'm wrong, but I usually can trust my memory.

·
Registered
198 Posts
tedsares said:
Dr Wisdom, Hagler has not made a movie in many, many years. He livess about two miles from me here in the White Mountians of New Hampshire.

Morison's first name is Tommy; not Marion.

Thanks for the info on Hagler, but you are incorrect sir on Marion,

This Marion was non other than John "The Duke" Wayne !!!

HE only fought in amitures, but that is still considered boxing

Far as Tommy Morrison, I lived in his old town of Jay Ok for awhile, and I also gave him props as well.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts