Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm looking at getting a punching bag to help keep fit and build my arms. Space is at a bit of a premium in my house. I seen the following being sold on eBay in the UK:

PB118K Multi Way Freestanding Stand + Leather Punch Bag on eBay, also, Punch Bags Pads, Boxing, Sporting Goods (end time 30-Jul-08 20:34:12 BST)

It looks alright to me, and having the facility to do chin-ups is a bonus for me as well. But I'm no expert on the matter, so I was wondering whether anyone on here has anything similar and, if so, what they think/thought of it. I realise I won't be able to get 360 degrees round the bag but, as it's only for recreational use, I don't think that should be a problem.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Ok, so I have owned one of these in the past before I started going to the "real" gym. Heres the deal:

The Platforms for the speedbag on every one of these that I have seen are always loose and not anchored in solid. This means everytime you hit the speedbag, it wiggles around. They also have poor quality wood and swivels. They are basically useless.

When it comes to the double end bag, that portion is "ok" but you cant move aroud the bag like you are meant to, so thats pretty much useless as well.

The only parts that are decent are they pushup-pullup bars, and the heavy bag section. But beware that the heavy bag section also doesnt allow you to rotate around the bag and work on your movement. You can only stand and punch right in front of the bag.

Personally, Youd be better off with a single hanging bag that you can move around, or a floorstanding punching bag. The latter of the two is not going to allow you to go all out on it as they are meant for workoing on movement and getting a decent aerobic workout.

Nothing is gonna beat a traditional hanging heavy bag.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the advice guys. Think I'll have to pass on this one and get a wavemaster or something... Just don't have the space for a hanging heavy bag :(

Thanks again

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Ringside Freestanding bag is a good option. I have one, and I have been happy with it. My only complaint is that the motion is understandably limited and it would not replace a hanging heavy bag for all workouts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
have no use for poor quality equipment. spend your money on something that will last. find a welder and practice then build what you want.

·
Registered
21 Posts
if your going to use a bag might as well do it right, no free standing crap is as good as a swinging heavy bag. more alive, more footwork etc. the guy that came up with this stationary target bull should have his head examined.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts