Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help with the Ali footwork and dancing on your toes.
Anybody have any suggestions? I want footwork and dancing ability like Ali, Ray Leonard, Larry Holmes. HELP!

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I need help with the Ali footwork and dancing on your toes.
Anybody have any suggestions? I want footwork and dancing ability like Ali, Ray Leonard, Larry Holmes. HELP!
do a TON of jump rope
spend most of your time doing shadow on your toes - focusing on footwork
watch a lot of tape of early ali, jersey joe walcott, and sugar ray robinson (jim corbett was actually the first).
notice what angles they use to avoid which attacks.
watch where they are in their bounce when they punch, shield, or see shots coming in.
work the living [email protected] out of your jab.

interesting to note that dempsey and a lot of old-time trainers did not buy into the whole "born with it" concept- whether it came to technique, footwork, or power.
there's a science to it all; and eventhough some are more genetically gifted than others, the average guy should be able to learn the science well enough to "get the job done".

·
Registered
841 Posts
do a TON of jump rope
watch a lot of tape of early ali, jersey joe walcott, and sugar ray robinson (jim corbett was actually the first).
watch where they are in their bounce when they punch, shield, or see shots coming in.

interesting to note that dempsey and a lot of old-time trainers did not buy into the whole "born with it" concept- whether it came to technique, footwork, or power.
there's a science to it all; and eventhough some are more genetically gifted than others, the average guy should be able to learn the science well enough to "get the job done".
:thumbsup:I agree, good post

·
Registered
40 Posts
do a TON of jump rope

i agree wid this dude , especially on the jump roping part

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.