Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Was THE REF right in stopping The Ali/Lyle fight in the 11th Round?

• Yes! Ali was just about to knock Lyle out flat on his ass!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No! The fight should've been allowed to continue man!

Votes: 3 100.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not saying that Ron Lyle was on his way to beating Muhammad Ali during their 1975 Bout... I'm just saying that the fight shouldn't have been stopped in the 11th Round with Muhammad Ali getting Ron Lyle on the ropes for a bunch of unanswered punches with THE REF coming in and awarding the fight to Muhammad Ali via TKO! RON LYLE WAS STILL STANDING THEIR PROUD... HE WAS STILL THERE TO FIGHT... HE WAS HARDLY FAZED... HIS CORNER PROTESTED LIKE CRAZY... HE PROTESTED LIKE CRAZY... but it was to no avail!!! If there was ever an early stoppage that I was OH SO SURE OF... this would be it... the fight should've been allowed to continue... and... who knows... we could've had A NEW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION ON BOXING (at that time)! Who agrees with me? Yes or No? Also... explain your reason as to why you made that choice???:thumbsup:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
i think the ref stopped the fight because of the punishment lyle took during the whole fight not just the last flurry from ali. he showed good compasion and the stoppage was right, lyle was never going to win the fight from there so why let him take another 4 rounds of punishment.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
tommygunn said:
i think the ref stopped the fight because of the punishment lyle took during the whole fight not just the last flurry from ali. he showed good compasion and the stoppage was right, lyle was never going to win the fight from there so why let him take another 4 rounds of punishment.
Lyle was beating Ali. The fight should have gone on. I hate pre mature/late stoppages.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
the cards were level when the fight was stopped if i remember correctly but lyle wasn't doing anything and was starting to take a real beating.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
tommygunn said:
the cards were level when the fight was stopped if i remember correctly but lyle wasn't doing anything and was starting to take a real beating.
He only took a beating during that combo. He wasn't in any real danger, and if Lyle lost that fight by decision, it would be another gift decision for Ali.

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually... I reckon the only true time Muhammad Ali got a very disputed/controversial decision his way was against Jimmy Young. I reckon he beat Ken Norton in their latter two bouts and Joe Frazier in their 2nd bout by points decision fair and square. But the Jimmy Young fight... THAT WAS A MISTAKE... and although Ali is the greatest heavyweight boxer of all time (in my opinion)... it would've been sweet to see Ron Lyle be allowed to continue in their fight... and not only win The World Heavyweight Championship... BUT KNOCK HIM OUT AS WELL!!! Also... most reports state that Ron Lyle was winning the whole damn way against Muhammad Ali until that sudden stoppage!:thumbsup:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
heres the official scores when the fight was stopped.

Referee: Ferd Hernandez | Judge: Bill Kipp 43-49 | Judge: Art Lurie 45-46 | Judge: John Mangriciana 46-46: 2 for lyle with 1 even.

but ali was winning the 11 round so it would have been 1 for ali 1 for lyle with 1 even. and the way the 11th was going ali was wasn't going to drop any the remaining rounds.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Try going to this site to watch the last round.

YouTube - Ali vs. Ron Lyle

Ali threw approx. 45 punches without Lyle returning one. I know a lot of Professional Referee's and done of them had any problem with the stoppage.

If you look at Lyle, he did not complain too much either.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
i have the fight and its clear to see lyle was spent, as henry said there was nothing comming back from lyle and after about 50 punches unanswered the stoppage was very fair.

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well if Lyle didn't complain about the result... I... "GUESS" that's okay... although I would've loved to have seen Ron Lyle knock the living **** out of Muhammad "I am The Greatest of all time ever" Ali... I'm a Ron Lyle FAN!

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
One thing I get pissed about is how many decisions Ali got, but didn't deserve.

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bill1234 said:
Besides the Jimmy Young fight (which I truly do believe he didn't deserve)... what other fights did you think he didn't deserve???:)

·
Registered
749 Posts
bill1234 said:

That is your Opinion. You can pick on almost any boxer and say the same thing.

I think your talking about the following bouts:

Ali-Jones: When this bout 1st took place, everyone said that Jones won. They played the tape a bout a week later on TV and they took the sound out and had several experts scoring it. All of them had Ali winning. Most people that watch the show also had Ali winning. I also gave the film to several well known boxing judges, one of them will be Judging the Heavyweight Title bout this weekend, and they all had Ali winning.

Ali-Norton III: A couple of my friends (Mercante and Lederman) were the Judges. So I would go by them before I would go by anyone else. Here's the official scoring:

Referee: Arthur Mercante 8-6
Judge: Harold Lederman 8-7
Judge: Barney Smith 8-7

Ali-Young: I really can't see how Young could have won when he stuck his head outside the ropes several times. The rule is that if you do so, the boxer is suppose to get a point taken away. The referee did take 1 point away during the bout, BUT he should have taken away several. Maybe the judges took points away on there own.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
hhascup said:

Ali-Jones: When this bout 1st took place, everyone said that Jones won. They played the tape a bout a week later on TV and they took the sound out and had several experts scoring it. All of them had Ali winning. Most people that watch the show also had Ali winning. I also gave the film to several well known boxing judges, one of them will be Judging the Heavyweight Title bout this weekend, and they all had Ali winning.

Ali-Norton III: A couple of my friends (Mercante and Lederman) were the Judges. So I would go by them before I would go by anyone else. Here's the official scoring:

Ali-Young: I really can't see how Young could have won when he stuck his head outside the ropes several times. The rule is that if you do so, the boxer is suppose to get a point taken away. The referee did take 1 point away during the bout, BUT he should have taken away several. Maybe the judges took points away on there own.
i wish lederman could score all the fights he's very good. ive looked into doing a bit of judging my self.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
White Tyson said:
Besides the Jimmy Young fight (which I truly do believe he didn't deserve)... what other fights did you think he didn't deserve???:)
Norton III.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
hhascup said:

Points should have been taken away from Ali many times through out his career for holding behind the head and neck, but no one took points away from him.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts