Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exaclty are they? :confused:

I've heard the term used but didn't know what it meant :eek:

While we're on the subject anyone fancy doing a beginners guide to understanding the belts maybe :D
 

·
Team Mayweather
Joined
·
24,365 Posts
wbc world boxing council
wba world boxing association
wbo world boxing organization
ibf international boxing federation


Alphabet belts..........there are plenty more, every sanctioning body as one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,210 Posts
I think those alphabet belts suck, i think there should be just one MAIN title in each division like it used to be.

It sucks when fighters cant fight the best cause they have to fight some nobodys cause they are the mandatory challanger or whatever and if they dont fight them they will have their title stripped away from them, it sucks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,348 Posts
Brutus said:
I think those alphabet belts suck, i think there should be just one MAIN title in each division like it used to be.

It sucks when fighters cant fight the best cause they have to fight some nobodys cause they are the mandatory challanger or whatever and if they dont fight them they will have their title stripped away from them, it sucks!
That mando fought his way to that position and had to win to get a shot at the title. I like this better over the RM with no mandos and only pointless big money fights. Defend or vacate no picking and choosing easy fights for big money.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
WBC = World Boxing Council (its the original and the most respected)
WBA = World Boxing Association
WBO = World Boxing Organization
IBF = International Boxing Federation
IBO = International Boxing Organization

The WBC is the true belt, of course the lineal champ is the true champ though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
daveDaboxingfan said:
he is to busy trying to get me to talk about my Ship that he got lost for a minute.:cheeky4:
Please explain the poop deck.
 

·
Fire of the Dragon
Joined
·
241 Posts
never really seen the IBO as a recognized belt before!

it's hard to say which body has the true champions, there are great boxers in WBC, WBA, WBO, and IBF, the nearest to true champion status id say is the ring belts.

List of current world boxing champions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

look at the lists, the ring is nearly accurate in all weight categories, Hopkins, Calzaghe, Hatton, Mayweather, Pavlik, Casamayor and Vazquez.

Heavyweight is vacant, so is most of the lower weight categories which hasnt got a lot of meaning to them.

Haye is controversial imo, Cunningham and Maccarinelli especially have valid claims on that belt
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
The WBC has had all of the major champs, and lineal champs, thats the main belt IMO.
 

·
Team Mayweather
Joined
·
24,365 Posts
The ring rankings are accurate but its not the most publicized belt. The wbc is. In all honesty, The most recognized champ is the one with the most belts.
 

·
Fire of the Dragon
Joined
·
241 Posts
TysonJones said:
The ring rankings are accurate but its not the most publicized belt. The wbc is. In all honesty, The most recognized champ is the one with the most belts.
that's the best possible way of defining a real champion! that covers most of it! you can't cover it all until you get one champ for every weight class
 

·
Team Mayweather
Joined
·
24,365 Posts
and that raraly happens because by the time the belts are unified, someone either gets beat, is at the end of their career or they can't mandatoraly defend each title so they have to give them up. Then we start all over again.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Also politics (*cough* Don King *cough*) has a lot to do with it. If a promoter can have 4 different champs fighting at once, all making him millions, why would he let them unify and have only 1 making millions? The only reason Tyson unifyed is because he was so exciting and could make as much as 4 champs because of his style.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
bill1234 said:
WBC = World Boxing Council (its the original and the most respected)
WBA = World Boxing Association
WBO = World Boxing Organization
IBF = International Boxing Federation
IBO = International Boxing Organization

The WBC is the true belt, of course the lineal champ is the true champ though.
the wba is the original, the wbc is more reconised though.

the wbc broke away from the wba around 65 i think.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,912 Posts
TommyGunn said:
the wba is the original, the wbc is more reconised though.

the wbc broke away from the wba around 65 i think.
I believe you're right. The WBC carrys the HW championship history right?
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top