Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long did it take everyone on here to get "good" at boxing?

Be honest I've been training for a few months and while I'm better than I was I still feel like I'm totally ****
:(

I would seriously get battered in a fight it's so frustrating my mate doesn't even try and beats me easily :(

Any tips on getting better apart from sticking with it which I'm doing as I enjoy it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I took a marker and wrote WWLD on the back of my left glove- when in doubt "what would lennox do"

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Madghost said:
I took a marker and wrote WWLD on the back of my left glove- when in doubt "what would lennox do"
Is that to remind you to keep your left up so a Rahman doesn't happen to you?

·
Registered
71 Posts
daveDaboxingfan said:
Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice and just in case I forgot more practice.
Also get the Floyd tapes
Camacho tapes
Pernell tapes.
And you can’t afford them all then just get the Pernell tapes.
O' yeah, speaking of Camacho. I will be pretty soon sparring with him. He's back in the gym (not very good shape) but I'll still learn something?

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
El Dragon said:
O' yeah, speaking of Camacho. I will be pretty soon sparring with him. He's back in the gym (not very good shape) but I'll still learn something?
Camacho Sr. are you kidding me, he is back in the ring!!! I hope he is just getting in shape and not going to fight.
How old is he now?

And BTW good luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
daveDaboxingfan said:
Camacho Sr. are you kidding me, he is back in the ring!!! I hope he is just getting in shape and not going to fight.
How old is he now?

And BTW good luck.
He's 45, and yes he is there just to get in shape:)

·
Haye Ducked Me Too
515 Posts
I didn't start actually feeling good until my 28-29 amateur fight. Then I started to make the combinations work together and stopped relying on just power. Practice and sparring is all you can do. I use to watch film on Marvin Hagler and tried to make it my style but after tweeking it I made my own style, thats when you will feel comfortable and feel like you can box.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
El Dragon said:
He's 45, and yes he is there just to get in shape:)
uuummm according to maxboxing he is gonna fight:
"Middleweight Stephan Pryor (10-2-1, 7 KOs), son of former junior welterweight world champion and boxing Hall of Famer Aaron Pryor, is currently training to fight eight-time world champion Hector Camacho Sr. (75-5-2, 37 KOs) on Jan. 26, in Michigan."
could you shed some light on this rumour.

·
Registered
71 Posts
ItalianBull said:
uuummm according to maxboxing he is gonna fight:
"Middleweight Stephan Pryor (10-2-1, 7 KOs), son of former junior welterweight world champion and boxing Hall of Famer Aaron Pryor, is currently training to fight eight-time world champion Hector Camacho Sr. (75-5-2, 37 KOs) on Jan. 26, in Michigan."
could you shed some light on this rumour.
Well, friend of mine told me that he (Camacho) showed-up in his friends Gym - that is predominantly MMA - and he asked me if I was willing to sparr with him. According to him, he was in bad shape, and I am all week trying to track him down to find-out exactly what;s-up? I will do the same the next week also. I'll post on that.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Vitali Rules said:
I didn't start actually feeling good until my 28-29 amateur fight. Then I started to make the combinations work together and stopped relying on just power. Practice and sparring is all you can do. I use to watch film on Marvin Hagler and tried to make it my style but after tweeking it I made my own style, thats when you will feel comfortable and feel like you can box.
yeah I get what your saying.

What's your amatuer record if you don't mind me asking?

I'd like an amatuer fight but that's where I (and everyone I know it seems) thinks I'll fail, as I was never "hard" and am crap at taking punches.

·
Haye Ducked Me Too
515 Posts
spiderbloke said:
yeah I get what your saying.

What's your amatuer record if you don't mind me asking?

I'd like an amatuer fight but that's where I (and everyone I know it seems) thinks I'll fail, as I was never "hard" and am crap at taking punches.
I was 54-4 back in the late 80's I was a GG champion in Ohio. I was hoping to make boxing my Profession but I got side tracked when I was injured in Kuwait in the Gulf War. I really destroyed my legs so now I just talk boxing and play around with the heavy bag. Have you ever been in the ring at all. The greatest thing about the sport is being in there your will against your opponents. If you are still young enough take a chance you will never forget it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
spiderbloke said:
How long did it take everyone on here to get "good" at boxing?

Be honest I've been training for a few months and while I'm better than I was I still feel like I'm totally ****
:(

I would seriously get battered in a fight it's so frustrating my mate doesn't even try and beats me easily :(

Any tips on getting better apart from sticking with it which I'm doing as I enjoy it.

Getting Beat up is part of the experience. If you learn from it you'll get better.

If you just got into boxing just because, then you may want to consider that as well because fighting is not for everyone.

Just practice a lot. Three months is not very long. You have to put in serious hours and do mad work to get better. I've been doing Muay Thai for about 6 years now and I've had over 20 amateur bouts with no losses and I'm still not the best I can be.

Give it time and Do work son!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Vitali Rules said:
I was 54-4 back in the late 80's I was a GG champion in Ohio. I was hoping to make boxing my Profession but I got side tracked when I was injured in Kuwait in the Gulf War. I really destroyed my legs so now I just talk boxing and play around with the heavy bag. Have you ever been in the ring at all. The greatest thing about the sport is being in there your will against your opponents. If you are still young enough take a chance you will never forget it.
I'm planning to once I've got a bit better after xmas I should be starting sparring all being well.

I want to prove everyone who said I wouldn't even stick with the sport wrong.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Southpaw447 said:
Getting Beat up is part of the experience. If you learn from it you'll get better.

If you just got into boxing just because, then you may want to consider that as well because fighting is not for everyone.

Just practice a lot. Three months is not very long. You have to put in serious hours and do mad work to get better. I've been doing Muay Thai for about 6 years now and I've had over 20 amateur bouts with no losses and I'm still not the best I can be.

Give it time and Do work son!
I got into boxing not expecting to like it, but I love it :D

It's my favourite sport, I like fighting I'm usually more of a grappler than puncher (how I win street fights) so boxing's a whole new experience for me.
Not only that but I like the self defense and confidence boost it's given me.

I'm planning to put more work in I give 110% every session there's no danger of me quitting don't worry ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts