Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it I can go 10x3 rounds on the bag but I cant run more than one mile without wanting to stop? Some of it is boredom and some is my body just cant do it. I’m trying to get a feel of if I’m in somewhat fighting shape but its hard to since I cant even run a mile. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,471 Posts
I run 4 miles a day, but want to stop after 5 mins :laugh:

You gotta build it up, its hard work but keeping pushing your self to that mile then when it starts getting easy push it up again :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

You gotta build it up, its hard work but keeping pushing your self to that mile then when it starts getting easy push it up again :thumbsup:
Yea but see that's where the boredom sets in. I get deathly bored after 2 minutes and want to get off. I guess what I'm asking is if running miles and miles is really necessary.

·
Premium Member
5,471 Posts
Yea but see that's where the boredom sets in. I get deathly bored after 2 minutes and want to get off. I guess what I'm asking is if running miles and miles is really necessary.

Thing is you are not moving as much when your just hitting the bag, unless you can keep the pace of the fight real low then you will get tired

You could prob still win fights if your good enough, but will always be there to get outworked.

·
Registered
841 Posts
If you start running more you'll notice a huge difference in your boxing for the better. I think your getting bored with running because you never run. Once you realize how much running benefits you in so many ways, you will get addicted to it and it will become a routine in your daily life. There other things you can do such as; swimming, cycling, sprinting, Bleachers, ciruit workouts, etc. If you really hate running for long periods of time that much, I recommend you do quarters on the track(sprint as fast as you can all the way around)and it wont take you more than 70 sec. Do it 4x which would be equivelant to a mile. You will have more explosive muscle tissue as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Why is it I can go 10x3 rounds on the bag but I cant run more than one mile without wanting to stop? Some of it is boredom and some is my body just cant do it. I’m trying to get a feel of if I’m in somewhat fighting shape but its hard to since I cant even run a mile. Any ideas?
Start with time, lets say 30 minutes. Run for about mile, and than walk some, and than run again when ready. Eventually you will run the entire 30 minutes.

Don't let the bag work fool you that you are in fighting shape. Until you do plenty of roadwork, heavy bag, skill practice in the gym and many rounds of sparring with(hopefully better) opponent you wont exactly know if you are in -competitive- fighting shape. Unfortunately you wont be able to do all by yourself. You need to find good trainer and boxing gym. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Start with time, lets say 30 minutes. Run for about mile, and than walk some, and than run again when ready. Eventually you will run the entire 30 minutes.

Don't let the bag work fool you that you are in fighting shape. Until you do plenty of roadwork, heavy bag, skill practice in the gym and many rounds of sparring with(hopefully better) opponent you wont exactly know if you are in -competitive- fighting shape. Unfortunately you wont be able to do all by yourself. You need to find good trainer and boxing gym. Good Luck!
Yea I guess I didnt really mean fighting shape, I just meant more in shape than I was. There is a gym around me and apparently the trainer is good but Its real small and is about 40 more bucks a month for a membership. I might see if the guy can work with me maybe once or twice a weeks. Thanks again guys.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Make sure to skip rope, that really helps your legs just as much as running does. Try to switch up the routes to. Get hungry, and run down to subway for a sammich :D thats what I do.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Having trouble running a mile means you may be out of shape a little. I've never not been able to run a full mile. Bag work and running are 2 totally different exercises and they focus on many different muscle groups. I can spar for hours, honestly. But theres no way I could run for hours at a time. If running bores you, then just run until you get bored, then do something else. There are other ways to stay in shape.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yea but see that's where the boredom sets in. I get deathly bored after 2 minutes and want to get off.

The way you phrase that makes it sound like you're on a treadmill. If that's the case, no wonder you're bored!! Go outside and run in your neighborhood or in a park or go trail running. Far more fun than staring at the readout on a treadmill.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are you guys jogging? or running? i can see how you would get bored jogging for a long time, but if you push yourself and run fast or even sprint then i dont think you'll get bored. Also you can switch up your routine by using a jump rope, or you could run long distance at a slower pace one day then the next day maybe do shorter distance sprinting. A good sprinting workout is what i call indian runs, that is where if you're running on the road, you sprint from one telephone pole to the next and then jog from that one to the next and just go back and forth. If you dont have evenly spaced telephone poles, then you can sprint for 30 seconds and jog for 60, do that for 5 or 10 minutes

·
Registered
49 Posts

Yes, you definitely have to push yourself. If your pushing yourself there should be nothing bored about it because you'll be focusing on your breathing and your stride. Listening to music definitely helps me as well.

I think your getting bored with running because you never run. Once you realize how much running benefits you in so many ways, you will get addicted to it and it will become a routine in your daily life.
sure does

·
Registered
10 Posts
i had same prob,but with a little help from mr ipod i just got beta and beta at running.just keep at it mate you will get beta.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts