Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I understand, the scoring in Amateur boxing is determined by the amount of clean hits landed, and not by how hard you hit, or how many knockdowns are achieved. Now, I'm planning on joining a local gym in a few months time, so I was wondering if as a big guy (6'2, 260lbs) I'm going to get mowed down in the scoring aspect of fights against smaller, quicker opponents. I'd consider myself more of a power fighter than anything, although my hand speed is not terribly slow. Any opinions on the matter?

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
In the amateurs the winner is the one who lands the most punches regardless of who hits harder and who hurt his opponent. You're going to compete with guys close to your own weight so you don't have to worry. If you really think you're gonna be outsped and outpointed then I suggest you go for the KO everytime.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha, I'd like to think I could get the KO every time, but I don't know if that's the case. I think I'll work extra hard on my hand speed so that I'm prepared for smaller, faster opponents. The trainer at my local gym says that at 260 lbs I'd be classed as a super heavyweight, along with anybody 200 lbs+. If I end up fighting someone around 200, the 60 lb difference could weigh against me, so I'll just do my best to become as quick as I can.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
In my opinion don't even worry about it. They do score like that but its very easy to have the ref stop the fight. Punch hard impress the judges by a clean hard shot. Don't just work on speed work on accuracy you can have a lot of speed but miss a lot of punches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts