Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw his fight today and he impressed me. What do you guys think. I want your guys honest oppinion.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
earls a good fighter who gave katsidis some problems.

amir was simply class tonight.

he's learning all the time and picked his punches perfectly tonight, he didn't rush in and seemed calm but devastating at the same time.

he beat a good fighter tonight, thaxton next then a euro title shot then bring on juan diaz. :)

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whats your guys opinion on his chin now? i know all young prospects eventually get knocked down but i never saw the fight when he got knocked down. Graham is a solid opponent and I was surprised khan won in the first round.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
he's been down and hurt so im not going to rant and say he has a solid chin guys.

his defence was poor against limond and he took a lot of shots though, shots that a lot of good fighters would have been stopped from.

theres still a maybe about it but ive seen worse and better, if the right shot hits him then he'd prob go but when he fights like that is anyone going to get a chance to get near him?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think he will be massacred if he fights a big boxer, such as Castillo, as Naseem Hamed was demolished by Barrera.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think the Limmond fight really sorted Khan out - he realised that he wasn't just quite as strong as he thought, and that he could be easily beaten. Now he seems to have set about proving that wrong, and has dominated his last two fights!

Earl is a good opponent and to be beaten in 1 minute 12 and 12 seconds!

Hopefully he keeps the current form and doesn't get too cocky, which could be his undoing!

Needs world shot soon I think!!!

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
TysonJones said:
whats your guys opinion on his chin now? i know all young prospects eventually get knocked down but i never saw the fight when he got knocked down. Graham is a solid opponent and I was surprised khan won in the first round.
Hes chin is less than solid, believe me. Hes been floored several times as an amateur, once to Craig Watson whos a relatively small puncher at the pro level. Limond had 8 KOs in 29 fights, most of those at 130lbs too. Alot of that was to do with his poor defense and some bad habits he had picked up, but its still abit worrying. He showed he has great handspeed and awesome power against Earl, but we already knew that, he needs a fighter thats going to push him now and get some rounds under the belt.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Well done to Amir Khan that was an excellent result I put my bets on Round 8 stoppage, Round 1 really suprised me!!! Jonathan Thaxton will be a tough fight as he contiues up the ladder.

When I was in Vegas for the Oscar/Floyd fight I was talking to Amir in Cesears Palace and he said he aims to fight in Vegas by the end of next year so watch this space.....

·
Registered
468 Posts
stejay said:
I think he will be massacred if he fights a big boxer, such as Castillo, as Naseem Hamed was demolished by Barrera.
He got battered because he didn't train hard enough was far too over confident, Khan train's his absolute bollocks off for any fight.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
If Khan keeps focused and concentrates on boxing he will do well. If the fame and money get to him, then he'll get KO'd when he steps up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Khan will be a champion but he will get beat a few times in his career
he aint got a glass chin but it aint no granit either lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
From what i have seen of Khan. Hes gifted. Im unsure whether he can stand out against the really big names. He is destined for big things though. Currently im not sure whether he is going to be a two time world champion or whether he will reign.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Frank Warren's actually is the right man for the job with Amir, Khan wants to jump up and fight for a world title now but Warren is taking him up slowly which is right. All the champions at 135 would knock Khan out.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I generally dont think you have to have a great chin to become a great champion. case and point, Floyd Mayweather Junior. Now i know he's never been down (except when he broke his hand, his glove touched the canvas, being his only knockdown) BUT when have you EVER seen him get hit by a huge punch? He's been tapped a few times, but im struggling to find a memory in my head of a time where Floyd has been hit and I've shouted "oh ****!". He's defense has been so good that he never really has gotten hit by a big shot, and he's to elusive to get downed by an accumulation of punches. Now I dont want to say that Khan can be as good as Mayweather especially in the defense department, but im just saying you dont have to have a stellar chin to be able to hold your own with the best. Every fighter has a weakness, its up to him to expose his opponents weakness while guarding his own.

-Melty

·
Registered
424 Posts
oh, and im not saying mayweather has a weak chin either. Im just saying that we dont know if he does or not, and the fact that he hasn't shown us if he does or doesn't proves that if he does have a glass chin it doesnt matter cause he's going to keep winning anyway.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Floyd has never really been knocked down in 39 fights. I'd say his chin is a-ok.

Amir Khan impresses me, but I can't see him being a seriously dominant force. He just comes off as too brittle to me.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Floyd's chin is good, remember he took a few punches from Hatton, Judah and Castillo. Khan is absolutely nothing remotely close to Mayweather defensively though, hes getting better but still bad in that area.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts