Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
- SILVA BOXING JONES A STEP CLOSER TO REALITY? - MMA WEEKLY - Mixed Martial Arts & UFC News, Photos, Rankings & more

ltimate Fighting Championship middleweight titleholder Anderson Silva recently indicated that he would like to challenge Roy Jones, Jr. – once regarded as one of the top pound-for-pound boxers in the world – to a boxing match.

“Anderson really would love to fight Roy Jones, Jr. in a boxing match,” said Ed Soares, Silva’s manager. “It’s not just talk, we really would like to put that fight together.

“We respect Jones’ boxing ability and think he’s one of the best, but we’re tired of different boxers saying that MMA fighters aren’t technical. Anderson would love to fight Roy Jones in a boxing match under boxing rules to prove that MMA fighters are technical, too.”

It now appears that what started out as a dream bout may actually have some merit to it.

Even nationally syndicated sports talk host Jim Rome, on his Rome Is Burning television show on ESPN2, has picked up on the story. He isn’t a big proponent of the bout happening though, saying, “Silva should not box Roy Jones. Where’s the intrigue in that? The whole ‘would MMA beat boxing’ argument is a big waste of time; it’s irrelevant. Silva, the best MMAer in the world would get schooled, even by a way past his prime Roy Jones, if he ever did boxing. He can’t fight his way off the ropes with his knees, just as Jones wouldn’t last a minute with Silva in his cage.”

According to Soares, however, there are other people who think there might be some merit to putting Silva up against Jones in a boxing ring.

“I just spoke with Roy Jones’ management and they are very interested in it. They think it would break all kinds of pay-per-view records. It all kind of started as a dream of Anderson’s, but if the UFC would back it, it is something that we really would like to pursue.”

Jones’ management indicated that this could be a fight that would bring together the fractured factions of boxing and mixed martial arts. “They think it will actually bring together the boxing and MMA communities,” said Soares.

And that would have to be a big part of it, as he continued, “Anderson looks up to Roy Jones, and he would love to test his skills against him. At the same time, we are very loyal to the UFC and would love to represent the UFC in a boxing match with Jones.”

UFC president Dana White has been vocal in the past about a boxer stepping into MMA to challenge his fighters. Prior to his fight with Oscar De La Hoya, Floyd Mayweather, Jr. commented, “(the UFC) ain’t nothing but a fad… These are guys that couldn’t do boxing.” White fired back offering up then lightweight champion Sean Sherk in the Octagon as a proving ground for Mayweather, who then retracted much of what he said.

It is unclear, however, if White is willing to put up Silva in a boxing match, as he was unavailable for comment at the time of publication.

Jones is currently headed out of the country until next week, but his management told Soares that he was “flattered and excited” by Silva’s interest in a boxing match with him. The parties are expected to talk again once Jones returns.
I am not really interested in seeing this happen. Anderson Silva is not 1/10th the Boxer that RJJ is. I may be interested if this were under K-1 Rules, where kicks, knees, elbows, etc were allowed but no grappling... but in a straight Boxing Match... this would be no contest for RJJ. Even past his prime RJJ's still a great Boxer who's devoted his life to training his art. Anderson has divided his training between Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thaiboxing, Wrestling, etc. That's like a Decathalon Champion challenging Michael Johnson to the 100 yard dash. Just doesn't make sense.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Good analogy comparing things like Decathlon and 100dash to boxing and mma..

I dont think this is gonna happen anyways, its a pointless fight for RJJ. The only good thing I can think of is that MMA fans are gonna watch it, and will see a massacre

·
Registered
397 Posts
Just kidding. I think this fight will be closer and more competitive than some people think.

Anderson is the total package in MMA. And he's possibly the best stand-up fighter in MMA.

He's got a good chin, he's pateint in the stand-up, accurate, powerful, great at working angles and I think he could give jones some problems.

But we'll never know until it happens.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
In a boxing match, mma's has no defense, they'd look like girls fighting in their with their hands out trying to catch punches. This fight wont happen, sorry.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Until I see an actual quote from ROY JONES himself I won't give this any real thought.
You guys could show me a video of Silva's best "striking" in any fight and I'll show you exactly why he would get dropped.

Roy Jones TKO as soon as he gets tired of embarassing the dude.

THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN while ROy is still competitive in boxing.

·
Registered
146 Posts
UFC has Anderson under contract and Dana White would have to be smoking crack, while injecting heroin and drinking 100% proof Vodka to let this happen.

ALTHOUGH

It would be interesting to see the fight happen with 4 ounce gloves.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
It sure would. Roy has no history of hand problems and him landing one straight right with 4 oz gloves would be all it would take.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Check this video for instance...I didn't even look hard....
YouTube - Anderson Silva vs Tony Fryklund
1:13 Roy lands a straight right with ease here...
Okay, just about every few seconds Silva is wide open to left jabs, left hooks, and STRAIGHT RIGHTS. Silav carries his hands around his shoulders. Roy beats this guy at age 45.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Okay, just about every few seconds Silva is wide open to left jabs, left hooks, and STRAIGHT RIGHTS. Silav carries his hands around his shoulders. Roy beats this guy at age 45.
Well not saying you're wrong but it's an MMA match and Silva is looking to clinch and knee and finishes him off with a spinning back elbow. Totally different strategies

I am sure in a boxing match he would use a different approach.

It's why I would like it to be a K-1 kick boxing match otherwise fight is pointless.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
If its a boxing match Roy Jones will KTFO of Silva whenever he wants too. Knowing Roy he'll probably play with him for a few rounds though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here is a video of Silva sparring in pretty much just boxing. The guy he is sparring is a HW who trained with the Cuban national team for like 4-5 years now.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
In a boxing match, mma's has no defense, they'd look like girls fighting in their with their hands out trying to catch punches. This fight wont happen, sorry.
UM, what???? How often do mma guys fight in boxing matches???? They don't have pillows on their hands to block punches so that would be absolutely stupid to try to fight like a boxer in mma. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
UM, what???? How often do mma guys fight in boxing matches???? They don't have pillows on their hands to block punches so that would be absolutely stupid to try to fight like a boxer in mma. :laugh:
I'm curious as to why you come to this place. You don't really ever say anything positive about boxing or the top boxers unless they are zero-defense "warriors." Everything coming from you is usually either negative or Pro-mma.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Well not saying you're wrong but it's an MMA match and Silva is looking to clinch and knee and finishes him off with a spinning back elbow. Totally different strategies

I am sure in a boxing match he would use a different approach.

It's why I would like it to be a K-1 kick boxing match otherwise fight is pointless.
Agreed. That doesn't change how he reacts when an opponent feints or throws a punch. I can tell just by watching his reactions to an incoming punch how he would do. Not well at all.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
We're talking about silva fighting jones in a boxing match. I think you underestimate roy jones strength. I'd even give a prime roy jones a good shot against silva in an mma fight, as long as he can land first and stay on his feet, the fight wouldnt last long. If jones had time to learn a few moves on the ground. He would be just as strong as silva. Jones is extremely freakish strong for his size.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We're talking about silva fighting jones in a boxing match. I think you underestimate roy jones strength. I'd even give a prime roy jones a good shot against silva in an mma fight, as long as he can land first and stay on his feet, the fight wouldnt last long. If jones had time to learn a few moves on the ground. He would be just as strong as silva. Jones is extremely freakish strong for his size.
Thing about mma that you need to realize is technique>strength. And I would say that Silva is stonger than Roy as well.

My question to ya'll is, Silva has a pretty good jab and has a definite reach advantage so how do you see Roy closing the distance. I know he has closed the distance on fighter before but that was really when he was in his prime and was as quick as anyone. Silva has some fast hands and their would be a pretty good distance that Roy would have to close and Silva has pretty good reactions. So it would seem that he would be able to catch Roy with something as Roy closes the distance.

I'm not saying Silva would win, but I think that it would be a closer fight than most people think. Putting away most of everyones hate for mma, how would you objectivley see this fight going?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Don't you think I know that? But what you are doing is trying to compare striking to boxing through your boxing goggles. You guys keep looking at mma fighters and judging them as boxers. As many have said before, the defense in boxing would get you KTFO in mma from kicks, knees, or easily taken down. And the same can be said for mma guys trying to use the same defense in boxing as they do in mma.

Reactions: BigDigga

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I'm curious as to why you come to this place. You don't really ever say anything positive about boxing or the top boxers unless they are zero-defense "warriors." Everything coming from you is usually either negative or Pro-mma.
I come here because I enjoy it. Get lots of info on boxing without going to ten different websites. Didn't know I had to like only the best boxers in order to be here??:dunno: I, PERSONALLY, like the boxing matches that are more offensive. They are more entertaining to ME! And more often then not, it is usually the mexican fighters, they just love to brawl. I enjoy watching boxing just as I enjoy watching mma. But when some try to explain mma when they don't even watch it or understand it? That would be like me trying to teach my daughter who loves soccer, how to play the game when I have never enjoyed playing or watching it in my life.

1 - 20 of 195 Posts