Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
What's everybody's take on Andre Dirrel?
I saw his last fight and thought he had one or two holes in his defence:dunno::dunno:

He can punch though, Discuss :p
I'm not really a fan of the guy. He doesn't stand out and he's not all that exciting to me. A lot like the Peterson brothers, but with a bit more skill. I saw him get rid of Hanshaw, but I wouldn't make all that big a deal out of that. In his last fight, some club fighter got in a few good licks on him before it was stopped due to that grotesque forehead split. Oganov will be more of a threat and should provide a good test for him.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
Very gifted fighter. His hand speed is his biggest weapon. It's outstanding. He also has great reflexes and has very good power. His defense is pretty leaky. And has that annoying habit that all fighters with great hand speed have. He keeps his hands low. I would rate his chin as above average or even average at this point. I think Dirrel is championship material. I would be shocked if he never wins a title.

On a side note I noticed Andre's brother Anthony Dirrel made a comeback a couple of days ago. He struggled early but got the win. He's been on the sidelines for a while. And battled cancer. So it's understandable he would be rusty and a little off. I'll keep an eye on him. He was considered just as good a prospect as Andre before his sickness.

·
Blood Clot Jungle Techno
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not really a fan of the guy. He doesn't stand out and he's not all that exciting to me. A lot like the Peterson brothers, but with a bit more skill. I saw him get rid of Hanshaw, but I wouldn't make all that big a deal out of that. In his last fight, some club fighter got in a few good licks on him before it was stopped due to that grotesque forehead split. Oganov will be more of a threat and should provide a good test for him.

Yes mate i saw that fight when the other guy (name escapes me at the moment)got his forehead split open. Never seen a punch do that before! I think against a good heavy puncher he would come unstuck leaving his hands low. Why dont fast handed boxers take a leaf out of Andre Bertos book and raise some sort of guard? :(

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
Provided he doesn't get caught with some miracle home run punch (which I seriously doubt) I think Dirrel is going to just toy with Oganov. Oganov can't fight. That was obvious in his lost. He has power. But that's it. His record is seriously padded.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Very gifted fighter. His hand speed is his biggest weapon. It's outstanding. He also has great reflexes and has very good power. His defense is pretty leaky. And has that annoying habit that all fighters with great hand speed have. He keeps his hands low. I would rate his chin as above average or even average at this point. I think Dirrel is championship material. I would be shocked if he never wins a title.

On a side note I noticed Andre's brother Anthony Dirrel made a comeback a couple of days ago. He struggled early but got the win. He's been on the sidelines for a while. And battled cancer. So it's understandable he would be rusty and a little off. I'll keep an eye on him. He was considered just as good a prospect as Andre before his sickness.
I remember hearing about Anthony getting cancer. I didn't know he was back. That's great news

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I really like Dirrell. I've been impressed with him in his last 3 fights. He's nowhere near his peak yet either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts