1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boxing: Steward on Lee - Setanta Sports

Steward negotiating title shot for Lee
by Mark Doyle, 03 February 2008

Emmanuel Steward has claimed that Andy Lee could fight the winner of the proposed summer showdown between undisputed middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik and John Duddy.

Pavlik and Duddy are widely expected to collide in Madison Square Garden on June 7, though no contracts have yet been signed.

However, Steward revealed after Lee’s impressive fifth-round stoppage of the durable Argentine, Alejandro Falliga, in Ireland on Saturday night that he was hoping to secure a world title shot for his fighter by the end of the year.

Indeed, Steward told the Limerick crowd immediately after the bout that he was in the process of negotiating a shot at the victor from Pavlik-Duddy for Lee.

However, Pavlik’s manager, Cameron Dunkin, is less than keen on a bout with Lee as he believes the 23-year-old Irishman is not yet a big enough draw in the United States.

"I have no problem with Kelly fighting anyone, but nobody knows Andy Lee,” he told boxingscene.com.

”There are people out there that mean more to Pavlik. I think it's Pavlik's turn to make some money."

Pavlik claimed the WBC and WBO titles with a stunning seventh-round stoppage of the previously undefeated Jermain Taylor last September.

The pair are set to go head-to-head again on February 16 in a fight which will be shown LIVE on Setanta Sports, although this time around there will be no belts on the line as the fight will be taking place at a catch-weight of 166lbs.

As a result, Pavlik’s first actual title defence will, more than likely, be against Duddy, provided, of course, that the Derryman comes through his February 23 clash with Walid Smichet in Madison Square Garden.

I assume Steward is just trying to build a bit of hype but even still this sort of bollocks makes him look ridiculous imo.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Lee is good but he wont get a shot till the end of the year and it most likely wont be against Kelly.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lee is good but he wont get a shot till the end of the year and it most likely wont be against Kelly.
I'm Irish and I've been to his few fights here. As far as I'm concerned he is the biggest prospect to ever come out of the country. The bloke has the potential to be a very, very good fighter.

But that's it, potential. Pavlik would dismantle him if they fought in the near future. He shouldn't be thinking about world titles till late 09 in my opinion.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Everyone in Ireland should forget about Duddy because there is only one middleweight from there who is the real deal, and its lee, the kids awesome!

I doubt he fights for a title soon, if he does it would most probably be Sturm or AA, the Pavlik vs JT winner will be fighting money fights against Calzaghe,Hopkins,Wright,Jones.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
I'm Irish and I've been to his few fights here. As far as I'm concerned he is the biggest prospect to ever come out of the country. The bloke has the potential to be a very, very good fighter.

But that's it, potential. Pavlik would dismantle him if they fought in the near future. He shouldn't be thinking about world titles till late 09 in my opinion.
Like I said it WONT be against Kelly.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Lee looked pretty good offensively against Falliga, but I was far from impressed with his defense. If he improves on that he could be pretty damn good.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lee looked pretty good offensively against Falliga, but I was far from impressed with his defense. If he improves on that he could be pretty damn good.
He's deceivingly heavy handed as well, his shots are much stronger than they look. The shot that sparked Carl Daniels was pure quality.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Yes I agree about his hands being along the lines of a Kelly Pavlik type. I think he is most effective when he mixes in compact, straight punches along with his gorilla punches. When he just goes wild he is susceptible to getting nailed by a top fighter. They don't need to put him in with a 25 win guy any time soon.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Lee comes again, i dont doubt that for a second. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
But he wont be a champ for a while now. Like I said befor.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Exactly. He has to avenge that lost now. But if he cant get past Vera a second time then Lee will be stuck being a ESPN fighter and thats all.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
I agree 1000%. Like I said in another thread I'm willing to bet the farm that says he will put Vera to sleep in the rematch.
I hope he do put Vera to sleep. Befor Vera puts him to sleep.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts