Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Update
Undefeated junior welterweight sensation ALFREDO “Perro” ANGULO of Mexico, has picked up the scent of his next victim – former world champion Ricardo Mayorga. The Angulo-Mayorga junior middleweight rumble will take place on February 14, 2009 – Valentine’s Day – and will be televised live on HBO. “I’m going to leave forget-me-knots all over his nicotine-stained face,” growled Angulo, whose nickname “Perro” translates to “dog” in English. “Mayorga isn’t going to have to wait until the last second to get knocked out like he did with Shane Mosley. I’m going after him like a dog on a bone the second the first bell rings. He is so done.” Added Gary Shaw, Angulo’s promoter, “I don’t know what possessed Mayorga to accept this fight. Maybe they should be checking the contents on of his cigarettes!”

Angulo (14-0, 11 KOs), of Mexico is riding a 10-bout victory-by-knockout streak dating back to 2006. The former Mexican Olympian is currently world-rated No. 3 by the WBC, No. 5 by the WBO and No. 8 by the IBF. Mayorga (28-7-1, 22 KOs), from Nicaragua, has a resume that boasts victories over Vernon Forrest, Fernando Vargas and Andrew Lewis and world titles in the welterweight and super welterweight divisions.

Shaw also announced that Ali Funeka (30-1-2, 25 KOs), of South Africa, the IBF’s No. 1-rated lightweight contender and mandatory challenger, would be making his U.S. debut, when he takes on world lightweight champion Nate Campbell (32-5-1, 25 KOs), from Tampa, in the co-main event. Source

By Rick Reeno

WBC interim-junior middleweight Sergio Martinez (44-1, 24KOs) has agreed to face WBA champion Daniel Santos (32-3, 23KOs) on February 14 on HBO. Sampson Lewkowicz, the agent for Martinez, has informed BoxingScene.com that a deal was reached with Martinez. They are waiting on Santos to agree to the terms in order to finalize the fight.

Martinez was originally scheduled to fight Joe Greene as the January 17 co-feature to Andre Berto's defense of the welterweight title against Luis Collazo. Greene withdrew from the fight on Wednesday due to an issue with kidney stones. An offer was presented to Santos for a fight with Martinez on the Jan. 17 show. With less than two weeks to prepare, Santos turned the offer down.

Negotiations quickly resumed after HBO agreed to move Martinez to their Feb. 14 card, and approved Santos as the opponent. Sources in Puerto Rico believe that Santos will accept the fight. He was set to make a defense against Nobuhiro Ishida at the end of this month, but Ishida withdrew. Martinez's only loss came to Antonio Margarito. Santos holds a win over Margarito. That makes an interesting background bit for the fight.

"Terms were reached between Martinez and promoter Lou DiBella [Martinez's promoter]. We are just waiting on Santos to agree to the terms. Martinez proves once again that he is willing to take any challenge that comes his way," Lewkowicz said.

Martinez-Santos would turn the Feb. 14 card into a tripleheader. Already scheduled is undefeated junior middleweight Alfredo Angulo taking on Ricardo Mayorga and Nate Campbell defending his lightweight titles against mandatory Ali Funeka. Source

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
This is a risky fight for Angulo, but it's the kind of risk I love to see a promoter take. Would be an awesome matchup and with Mayorga's performance against Mosley still fresh in my mind, I think it would be highly competitive.

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
I dont think it would be much of a contest, Although Mayorga has the edge in Experience, Angulo is hungrier and would whip that ass. Mayorga did not impress me at all in the Mosley fight, the only reason it lasted as long as it did was becasue of Mayorgas sloppyness, Angulo would shut him down by the 10th.

G

·
Angulo would beat him pretty handily even at this stage. It would be some good experience for him. Mayorga wasn't at all impressive against Mosley even though it was a pretty close. Angulo would give him a beating.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I think this would be a pretty good war. Mayorga can really crack and Angulo isnt exactly the hardest to hit, same thing for Mayorga

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Angulo " CARA DE CULO" and fould mouth MAYOGA should be a good fight and Anculo should take if he's ready......

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
This is the kinda fight i like great prospects put in, a fight they can win but they need to bring their A game to do so. Angulo is a damn good fighter and seems to have an excellent chin, so il definetly take him over Mayorga.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
This is the kinda fight i like great prospects put in, a fight they can win but they need to bring their A game to do so. Angulo is a damn good fighter and seems to have an excellent chin, so il definetly take him over Mayorga.
I think it makes good sense to favor Angulo, but if Mayorga gave fits to Mosley, what makes anyone think that he couldn't do the same if not more so to the young Angulo.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Styles make fights and Angulo just doesn't stop throwing punches. Mayorga will give him hell in the early rounds and land big exciting punches but Angulo will get him down the stretch.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gutierrez buzzed Angulo before Perro came back and beat him in the same round, so he doesn't have an iron chin, I'd say it was pretty good or solid. His defense is underrated though, if Mayorga doesn't decide to hold for 12 this is an FOTY candidate.

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
I think it makes good sense to favor Angulo, but if Mayorga gave fits to Mosley, what makes anyone think that he couldn't do the same if not more so to the young Angulo.
Mayorga IMO didnt do **** but smuther Mosley the whole fight, Angulo throws and throws and throws and throws and is good on the inside, he wouldnt let him just lay up on him like Mosley did. Angulo's hungry right now and Mayorga just need a check.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Gutierrez buzzed Angulo before Perro came back and beat him in the same round, so he doesn't have an iron chin, I'd say it was pretty good or solid. His defense is underrated though, if Mayorga doesn't decide to hold for 12 this is an FOTY candidate.
I too remember Gutierrez hurting Angulo pretty badly before he was able to complete one of those dramatic intra-round comebacks and stop Gutierrez. But that stoppage was highly premature. So yeah, he's tough and all, but he doesn't have the Margarito chin, no matter how much he reminds us of the Tornado. Then again, who does?

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I too remember Gutierrez hurting Angulo pretty badly before he was able to complete one of those dramatic intra-round comebacks and stop Gutierrez. But that stoppage was highly premature. So yeah, he's tough and all, but he doesn't have the Margarito chin, no matter how much he reminds us of the Tornado. Then again, who does?
Today, in a P4P sense, I'd say nobody ranks above Margarito's chin.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Updates
Undefeated junior welterweight sensation ALFREDO “Perro” ANGULO of Mexico, has picked up the scent of his next victim – former world champion Ricardo Mayorga. The Angulo-Mayorga junior middleweight rumble will take place on February 14, 2009 – Valentine’s Day – and will be televised live on HBO. “I’m going to leave forget-me-knots all over his nicotine-stained face,” growled Angulo, whose nickname “Perro” translates to “dog” in English. “Mayorga isn’t going to have to wait until the last second to get knocked out like he did with Shane Mosley. I’m going after him like a dog on a bone the second the first bell rings. He is so done.” Added Gary Shaw, Angulo’s promoter, “I don’t know what possessed Mayorga to accept this fight. Maybe they should be checking the contents on of his cigarettes!”

Angulo (14-0, 11 KOs), of Mexico is riding a 10-bout victory-by-knockout streak dating back to 2006. The former Mexican Olympian is currently world-rated No. 3 by the WBC, No. 5 by the WBO and No. 8 by the IBF. Mayorga (28-7-1, 22 KOs), from Nicaragua, has a resume that boasts victories over Vernon Forrest, Fernando Vargas and Andrew Lewis and world titles in the welterweight and super welterweight divisions.

Shaw also announced that Ali Funeka (30-1-2, 25 KOs), of South Africa, the IBF’s No. 1-rated lightweight contender and mandatory challenger, would be making his U.S. debut, when he takes on world lightweight champion Nate Campbell (32-5-1, 25 KOs), from Tampa, in the co-main event. Source

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Nate better be on his A+ game against Funeka for real. I can't wait for these fights. I hope Mayorga beats Angulo.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nate better be on his A+ game against Funeka for real. I can't wait for these fights. I hope Mayorga beats Angulo.
Definitely, Ali doesn't throw that much, but when he does, he can make guys do the chicken dance. Angulo is gonna beat up Mayorga pretty bad, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes him quit.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Good post, Tom. I'm rolling with Angulo by stoppage around the 6th.
Mayorga got Mosley out of rhythm and threw him off. Angulo doesn't have to get into much of a rhythm to get off, and Mayorga doesn't have the footwork/mobility to frustrate Alfredo. This is one hell of a matchup.
Definitely, Ali doesn't throw that much, but when he does, he can make guys do the chicken dance. Angulo is gonna beat up Mayorga pretty bad, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes him quit.
I like the Angulo-Mayorga fight a lot, but I'm more interested in seeing how little Nate matches up against Funeka. I can't wait to talk to Nate about his strategy going in to the fight. This will be one hell of a card!

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Figures...after Nate is denied the biggest fight of his career they put him in the ring with the most dangerous man in the division. If there is a god, Nate will take this kid to school.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.