Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all i have been reading and looking at this forum for a while and i have noticed that all the people here seem like awesome community and very helpful.

I am 100% new to boxing and wanting to get to learn it and also i am in it for the workout even though i am in the Army i am still not wanting to be as far as "physically in shape" wise. Although I dont have any intentions on doing any bouts or sparring is it even still worth getting eqiuipment to learn and finding a trainer to teach me the ropes? Thats the main question i have i dont want to feel like i am wasteing my time and money if all i am in it for is just to learn and stay in shape.. Basically what i am saying is that is it still something worth pursuing without the fighting?

Also, is there still trainers out there that would even put time into teaching or training me? I noticed Captain said something in anyother post about most trainers do it for the game. so just curious

thanks alot for your time
Incase you all are wondering or anything I am 25 years old 5'11 about 210 lbs

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
If your just in it for the training and staying in shape you dont need a trainer or much money at all. Go out buy you a pair of gloves, buy a heavybag, you can find this for under 100 dollars depending on what you want and get to work. Boxing workouts rage from running, jumping rope, hitting the heavybag, shadowboxing, speedbag and sparing and picking up weights from time to time. The best way to learn without a trainer is just watch a ton of fights, watch how guys punch and then go outside and practice on your bag. Hope this helps a little. Welcome aboard. Theres alot more i can say but Im kind of busy at the moment.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks for the reply, also i,ve been thinking when i start to pick up on boxing and leanr and start working out i might end up doing some sparing and maybe a fight....but right now i know i wouldnt last no time in a match so i guess it all depends on cofidence in myself right now i have none when it comes to boxing.

Also i just dont want to go out and just get cheap sets of stuff i am really serious about getting into it and like i said up there i just never know i might actually get more into it than just learning and getting in shape (its just my confidence in boxing right now)

Did any of you all have the same problem starting out? Such as thinking to yourself saying theres no way?

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Haha we were all this way. Boxing takes Guts and other things if you know what I mean. I first started with a pair of 30 dollar 12 oz everlast gloves that I got at a local sports shop. Later to find out many pros including roy jones jr and jermain taylor use these same gloves to workout in sometimes. I have a 100 pound everlast heavybag that cost 90 dollars. These are good quality proudcts to start out with. I have now upgraded to a pair of 100 dollar gloves made by grant, they have less padding and are 8 oz. I usually spar with these for fun and I have had over 40 fights with them.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
newchapter said:
hello all i have been reading and looking at this forum for a while and i have noticed that all the people here seem like awesome community and very helpful.

I am 100% new to boxing and wanting to get to learn it and also i am in it for the workout even though i am in the Army i am still not wanting to be as far as "physically in shape" wise. Although I dont have any intentions on doing any bouts or sparring is it even still worth getting eqiuipment to learn and finding a trainer to teach me the ropes? Thats the main question i have i dont want to feel like i am wasteing my time and money if all i am in it for is just to learn and stay in shape.. Basically what i am saying is that is it still something worth pursuing without the fighting?

Also, is there still trainers out there that would even put time into teaching or training me? I noticed Captain said something in anyother post about most trainers do it for the game. so just curious

thanks alot for your time
Incase you all are wondering or anything I am 25 years old 5'11 about 210 lbs
So what do you say TJ you thinkhes fit for the HW division or cruiser. He might even get down to LHW. Newchapter if your heart is in boxing its never a waste. Learning something that you love watching is great. It makes you understand it even more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts