Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The WBA has ordered that Anthony Mundine must mandatory challenger Mikkel Kessler in a rematch. Mundine has to first beat Sam Soliman in their trilogy bout in May, but Kessler would have to be his next opponent within 90-days or Mundine runs the risk of being stripped of his WBA "regular" super middleweight title. Joe Calzaghe is recozgnized as the WBA's "super champion" at 168.

Kessler easily decisioned Mundine a few years ago. Rather than be forced into another bout with Kessler, he may vacate his title and jump down in weight to 160-pounds to pursue bouts with Kelly Pavlik, Winky Wright, Arthur Abraham and others. The biggest bout for Mundine at 168 would have been a rematch with Danny Green. Mundine took a big financial hit when Green recently announced his retirement from boxing.

"I've never had to diet for a fight, I love my fried chicken and my hamburgers too much," Mundine said. "But you look at the top guys I have fought in the super-middleweight division: Mikkel Kessler was much bigger than me, Danny Green was much bigger than me, Manny Siaca was much bigger than me.

"[Roy Jones Sr] believes I will be a monster down in middleweight. I believe I will be faster, I will be lighter, I will hold my strength, my power down there, and I'll be a lot more dangerous. And the fighters I will be fighting won't be as big."

"[The WBA] mandated Kessler to fight me after Soliman, so we have to look at that and see whether it is a financially viable and good business choice to fight, or do we go to middleweight and look for a big opportunity."

By Mark Vester

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Smart move hes goning somewhere that he can get big fights that he can win.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Mundine is running from Kessler.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mundine is running from Kessler.
He already got whipped once why go through it again and risk lossing his draw ability. He can move down and fight all the top guys there so why not?

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
at least hes man enough to admit it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts