Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that he is. I really don't get the claims off certain people that he would beat Mayweather, I really can't understand how this would happen unless Mayweather fought like Cotto did which we all know he wouldn't.

Mayweather wouldn't gas like Cotto did and he also would not trade punches with Margarito like Cotto did and he would be able to easily outbox Margarito like Cotto did would be able to maintain it for the 12 rounds. Anything other than a wide UD for Mayweather would shock the hell out of me.

Margarito is not that talented a boxer, yes he has tremendous stamina and throws a lot of punches but if he is fighting a bloke like Mayweather who has supreme defence then I don't see how he gets the win here.

I think Mosley will go and beat Margarito if he isn't too far past his prime, I hope he does so everyone can shut up about Margarito being the most feared man in boxing which is frankly a load of bs :laugh:

The most feared man in boxing is Paul Williams and we all know it, Margarito wants no part of Williams again and I find it embarrassing that some Margarito fans are calling Williams overhyped when Margarito is talked about like some sort of boxing god when he really isn't.

Paul Williams would beat Margarito more convincingly in a rematch and I would bet all the money I have on that. I think Clottey would have beaten him too if he hadn't injured himself but not everyone will agree with that.

So what do you lot think? Do you think hes the second coming of Jesus or do you think that he is very overrated and isn't in the same class as someone like Mayweather?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm relatively new to the sport(6y) and i'm learning a great deal on this board, a lot of posts are giving me insight and are changing my views on certain matters however regarding Margarito i can just say that watching his style i have got to admire him, i am a big fan of him because of his offensive capacity and would love to see how he would do against Floyd. This is my number 1 fight i would love to see. Maybe the answer wether or not he is overrated.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not saying that I don't like how Margarito fights, I have a lot of respect for his stamina and his brilliant chin but I just think that he is way overrated by a lot of people.

I agree with you Verdict that Cotto would give Floyd a really tough time, I really hope that fight happens one day but I doubt it :(

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
I think that he is. I really don't get the claims off certain people that he would beat Mayweather, I really can't understand how this would happen unless Mayweather fought like Cotto did which we all know he wouldn't.

Mayweather wouldn't gas like Cotto did and he also would not trade punches with Margarito like Cotto did and he would be able to easily outbox Margarito like Cotto did would be able to maintain it for the 12 rounds. Anything other than a wide UD for Mayweather would shock the hell out of me.

Margarito is not that talented a boxer, yes he has tremendous stamina and throws a lot of punches but if he is fighting a bloke like Mayweather who has supreme defence then I don't see how he gets the win here.

I think Mosley will go and beat Margarito if he isn't too far past his prime, I hope he does so everyone can shut up about Margarito being the most feared man in boxing which is frankly a load of bs :laugh:

The most feared man in boxing is Paul Williams and we all know it, Margarito wants no part of Williams again and I find it embarrassing that some Margarito fans are calling Williams overhyped when Margarito is talked about like some sort of boxing god when he really isn't.

Paul Williams would beat Margarito more convincingly in a rematch and I would bet all the money I have on that. I think Clottey would have beaten him too if he hadn't injured himself but not everyone will agree with that.

So what do you lot think? Do you think hes the second coming of Jesus or do you think that he is very overrated and isn't in the same class as someone like Mayweather?
Antonio Margarito is THE BEST welterweight out there period!!
He took the best Cotto had to offer came back and totally destroyed him. In doing so he put the fear of hades into both Prima donna ( he retired) & O scared dela Wiener{ he hastily arranged a fight with a lightweight.
He beat Clottey despite carrying an injury himself.
OK he lost a close one to Williams. He wasnt 100%ready but you wont hear him make excuses. He asked for an immediate rematch. Goosen and Williams said "NO!! We beat Margarito once why would we need to fight him again"? Now Margarito is on top they suddenly want to fight him. They got what they deserved they can take a # sit in the corner and wait now.
The sad part is neither Prima Donna nor O'scared will ever have a set big enough to ever get in the ring with The Tijuana Tornado. So stop:deadhorse: in saying either could beat him GO MARGARITO GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I think Margarito is definitely overrated. However he is the top dog at 147 because of his accomplishment. With victories over Clottey, Cintron x2 and Cotto he has the best resume at welter right now.
I might be the only guy on here who doesn't believe that an elite fighter ever ducked another because of fear. I guess I respect my favorite sport too much and doesn't wanna believe that. The reason why Floyd didn't wanna fight Margarito is the same reason why Margarito doesn't wanna fight Williams right now : there are bigger money making opportunities.
I think Margarito beats Mosley but loses against Williams in a rematch.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Antonio Margarito is THE BEST welterweight out there period!!
He took the best Cotto had to offer came back and totally destroyed him. In doing so he put the fear of hades into both Prima donna ( he retired) & O scared dela Wiener{ he hastily arranged a fight with a lightweight.
He beat Clottey despite carrying an injury himself.
OK he lost a close one to Williams. He wasnt 100%ready but you wont hear him make excuses. He asked for an immediate rematch. Goosen and Williams said "NO!! We beat Margarito once why would we need to fight him again"? Now Margarito is on top they suddenly want to fight him. They got what they deserved they can take a # sit in the corner and wait now.
The sad part is neither Prima Donna nor O'scared will ever have a set big enough to ever get in the ring with The Tijuana Tornado. So stop:deadhorse: in saying either could beat him GO MARGARITO GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I HATE agreeing with C.J.!!!!!

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
I think Margarito is definitely overrated. However he is the top dog at 147 because of his accomplishment. With victories over Clottey, Cintron x2 and Cotto he has the best resume at welter right now.
I might be the only guy on here who doesn't believe that an elite fighter ever ducked another because of fear. I guess I respect my favorite sport too much and doesn't wanna believe that. The reason why Floyd didn't wanna fight Margarito is the same reason why Margarito doesn't wanna fight Williams right now : there are bigger money making opportunities.
I think Margarito beats Mosley but loses against Williams in a rematch.
I dont mean so much physical fear as fear of LOSING !!!!!!!
Floyd wont fight anyone dangerous EVER coz he's scared he'll lose that "0" Thats why he retired. Oscar wont fight Margarito because he knows his pretty face will end up like Coto's did if he does
I think a 100% Margarito beats Williams

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Until Margarito beats Williams then I will not recognise him as the top welterweight end of.

Williams is the man and it is not his fault that all the welterweights are scared to fight him :D

You can debate him maybe beating Williams but Mayweather definitely beats him. Mayweather has fought far better fighters than Margarito in his career and won, would be a simple day for Floyd ;)

The saying goes 'to be the man you have to beat the man' and since Paul Williams beat the man then surely he is the man :cool:

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Margarito is the best Welterweight out there atm imo, however I don't think he'd beat Floyd. I'd expect a clear UD for Floyd, 116-112, 117-111 or something like that.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I dont mean so much physical fear as fear of LOSING !!!!!!!
Floyd wont fight anyone dangerous EVER coz he's scared he'll lose that "0" Thats why he retired. Oscar wont fight Margarito because he knows his pretty face will end up like Coto's did if he does
I think a 100% Margarito beats Williams
Physical fear, fear of losing, it's the same thing. We're talking about guys who fight for a living.
Oscar is involved in the biggest fight out there. A travesty, a disgrace, a freak show...maybe but it's still the biggest fight out there.
Why did Margarito call out Oscar instead of trying to avenge his loss against Williams? Fear of losing? No. Money? Hell yeah.

Until Margarito beats Williams then I will not recognise him as the top welterweight end of.

Williams is the man and it is not his fault that all the welterweights are scared to fight him :D
The thing is Margarito beat Cotto who was the top dog. And that loss against Quintana really looks bad on Williams resume (avenged or not).

·
Registered
830 Posts

I see nothing wrong at all in your analysis of why a fight between Margarito and Mayweather could go the way you have described and you could be right.

We would only know if we got to see the fight.

The fight could go very different and for Margarito and I am sure other people could detail how and I am sure in part it would relate to Margarito's size as a welter.

But your post and position is legitimate.

Where I would strongly disagree personally is in respect of Margarito being overrated as I don't think he is.

He has beaten the previously highest rated unbeaten active welterweight impressively and he has a good history at the highest level. Added to this is the fact that some people already rate Mayweather above him and others even rate Williams above him, plus he is never rated abover about four or five in most people's P4P lists.

Good post though mate on the basis of the fact you could be right on your main point and it is all about opinions.

G

·
Haha I love this thread. Even though I don't think Margarito is even close to being one of the most overrated fighters, it's gonna send all the Margarito slurpurs (C.J. Rock, Violent Demise etc.) into a frenzy.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I can't believe people are calling him overrated. Before he manhandled Cotto, people were thinking Cotto was the second coming of Jesus Christ.

G

·
I can't believe people are calling him overrated. Before he manhandled Cotto, people were thinking Cotto was the second coming of Jesus Christ.
It's silly.

Margarito is a fierce fighter who brings above average strength, constant pressure, and an iron chin into the ring. He may not be the best techincal fighter but Cotto is and what did that get him. I'd rather have less skills and knock the "skilled fighter" out than be the "skilled fighter" and get knocked out.

There's an old quote that seems to be relevant. "A win is a win is a win."

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
Margarito has no doubt the better resume out of any of the current Welters. He's stepped in the ring with: Cotto, Williams, Clottey, Cintron (x2), Santos & Lujan. He's no doubt fighting the top competition at his weight and he's about to fight Mosley aswell. He's the best at 147 atm aswell because he beat the top dog in Cotto.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Margarito is not overrated. He just beat Miguel Cotto, who beat Shane Mosley and Zab Judah, and he has victories over Cintron and Clottey.

I'm not sure if he can beat all the welterweights out there, but hes in the top atm.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Yeah but noone will talk about him like this after his defeat. People talk about Margarito like he's the best at this weight hands down despite his clear loss to Williams. Being #1 doesn't necessarily means being the best.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Hes far from the most overrated fighter. Most posters are spot on about him and only a few overrate him (like any fighter).

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah but noone will talk about him like this after his defeat. People talk about Margarito like he's the best at this weight hands down despite his clear loss to Williams. Being #1 doesn't necessarily means being the best.
Nail hit on the head :laugh:

He is overrated to me because everyone says he is the best welterweight around without doubt when there is a man in the division who has beaten him recently and Margarito won't give him a rematch for some odd reason (not really odd, he doesn't want any part of him).

Say what you want about the Quintana loss but Williams did what Margarito hasn't and AVENGED the defeat in the most convincing way possible and he proved that the loss was just a blip caused by a lack of preparation.

Margarito has done nothing at all to suggest that he would beat Mayweather, just look at the way Williams and Cotto schooled him in the first half of their fights. That would just happen for the whole 12 if Mayweather fought him, he wouldn't be eating punches and he wouldn't gas late on so it would just be a boxing lesson for Margarito in my mind.

SRCJJ, I would say Cotto has a better resume as Mosley > anyone Margarito has fought apart from Cotto :laugh:

I still maintain that if Cotto doesn't get caught up in a slugfest with Margarito and actually improves his stamina which is turning into a big problem for him then the rematch will be a procession for him. He just has way too much skill for Margarito as he showed in the first half of the fight.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts