1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JANUARY 26, 2008

TARVER-WOODS APRIL 12TH
By G. Leon

Antonio Tarver will face IBF light heavyweight champion Clinton Woods at the St. Pete's Times Forum in Tampa, Florida on April 12, 2008. Tarver's IBO championship will also be on the line. Tarver-Woods will headline a stellar Showtime Championship Boxing doubleheader that will also feature undefeated WBC light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson against 2004 fighter of the year Glen Johnson.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Woods has improved a lot since he lost to RJJ, he was fighting with a blood disorder for years to which he never knew about untill he took some random test, the disorder was sapping his energy and he was only ever at 70%.

I give Clinton a slight edge in this fight, only because Tarver has looked so far gone since Hopkins though.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
I would have agreed with you if Tarver hadn't looked so poor of late VD, prime v prime would have resulted in a lopsided UD for Tarver but since he's now a reisident in geezerville i can see Clinton shadding it.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Id have agreed 100% a couple of years back, but i think Tarver has declined a fair bit while Woods has got better. I give Woods a good chance, but i think Tarver may win.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
I would have agreed with you if Tarver hadn't looked so poor of late VD, prime v prime would have resulted in a lopsided UD for Tarver but since he's now a reisident in geezerville i can see Clinton shadding it.
I can see Woods out working Tarver. That wouldn't be a surprise. But Tarver knows a loss to Woods pretty much ends his career. I don't think he'll allow that to happen.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Id have agreed 100% a couple of years back, but i think Tarver has declined a fair bit while Woods has got better. I give Woods a good chance, but i think Tarver may win.
You just typed the same post as me at the same time Tom, great minds and all. ;)

Tarver will most probably start fav in this fight and rightly so but he's looked like poo since beating Roy for the 3rd time, if he is to win he needs to improve his game a lot in this one.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can see Woods out working Tarver. That wouldn't be a surprise. But Tarver knows a loss to Woods pretty much ends his career. I don't think he'll allow that to happen.
i was thinking along the same lines, man. i think being that his back is against the wall will cause him to fight better. like tommy said he's looked like crap since being executed;)

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Woods is a good working fighter. Tarver is a lazy fighter. I can see Woods laying a beating on Tarver round after round. To win a lopsided decision. On the flip side an early Tarver knock out would not shock me either. As I see Tarver as the more skilled/stronger fighter

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Woods promises to give Tarver a thorough beating!
Fight set for SHOWTIME on April 12th

"Tarver may have beaten Rocky Balboa but he won't get past me," said IBF light heavyweight champion Clinton Woods, who has landed a stunning collision with IBO light heavyweight champion Antonio Tarver at the St Pete Times Forum in Tampa on April 12th. "It's a fight I have been longing for. He told me he would beat me years ago, well now he has got the chance. He can't run any longer because the deal has been made. It is smell the coffee time and he is going to find out the hard way what a thorough beating is all about. He lost to old man Bernard Hopkins on points but I am going to knock him out and then my status as the best light heavyweight in the world will be confirmed. If Joe Calzaghe gets past grand-dad Hopkins the week after I make mincemeat of Tarver, he can come looking for me. I'm ready for Calzaghe anytime and any place and he knows it."

·
Registered
221 Posts
Woods has improved immensly and I think he will be too much for this Tarver. Woods isn't a Muriqi or Santiago. Tarver will definitely be in for a fight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts