Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my amateur passport a couple of weeks ago and am eager to compete/get my ass kicked. I turned 35 in June...anyone else here competing at the master's level?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry, I dont have answers to your question but where can I find more information of those divisions?

I am still a newb but I would love to fight in those divisions one day.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got my amateur passport a couple of weeks ago and am eager to compete/get my ass kicked. I turned 35 in June...anyone else here competing at the master's level?
I had one masters fight. Lost a decision. (Of course I thought I won! lol). I for sure landed the harder punches but the other guy threw about a kazillion more than me.

You have to be in great shape. My style doesn't fit well with the amateur style. I just didn't throw enough punches. I wasn't in good enough shape anyway. Had a pretty bad injury I was recovering from.

The big thing is you gotta train like you are going to fight. You have to be very busy. The more punches you land, the more points you get.

In some masters fights they wear 16 oz gloves. For my fight we wore 12 oz.

It is hard to find other masters boxers, depending on where you live. The biggest masters tournament is at the Ringside Tournament held each year.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
darren: If you go to usaboxing.org they should have some info. Also, check out Masters Boxing Division

oldfrt71: Thanks for sharing the experience. Yeah, I'm working on getting in shape. My coache's workouts are killer, I hope that my cardio will be decent by the time I get in the ring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
darren: If you go to usaboxing.org they should have some info. Also, check out Masters Boxing Division

oldfrt71: Thanks for sharing the experience. Yeah, I'm working on getting in shape. My coache's workouts are killer, I hope that my cardio will be decent by the time I get in the ring.
The thing that hurt me with conditioning was that I couldn't do any running because of injuries.

But when I could run, this is what I did, and it really got me into good shape for my first fight. Unfortunately in that one, I only had about 6 weeks of real boxing training and I fought a guy with over 100 fights. Not the way to start out, that's for sure. (But I did okay)

Anyway, I would go to a football field and I would run down the field, goal post to goal post and back for 2 minutes ( I think I usually made it down and back twice). Then rest one minute. Then two minutes again. Then rest one minute. This is called interval training. I would do five rounds of this. But go by time, not how far you run.

Now, when I say run, I mean that it wasn't a sprint but close to that. You want to be about to collapse when you get to two minutes. You should be sucking wind big time. It's a tough workout and really prepares you mentally too.

Especially for a master guy, who is older, I think this is a much better way to do it. It's on grass, so it's easier on your joints. Running long distances is tough on the body, and you aren't fighting a 10 rounder. It's three 2 minute rounds.

scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Everyone.
Where can I find out more about competing in the masters division in Ohio or the area? I am 50, 178lbs, 6 feet. 0 fights. I have been boxing for 8 months, in Ohio.
Are they good at matching you up with someone with similar experience?
I just don't want to get killed by boxing someone with 50 fights and a 20 year amature careerer :)

Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts