Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was disapointed. IMO the undercards were better. The first one was lopsided though, I wouldn't have taken a fight with 3 days notice. I was all pumped and ready for a great fight when Hopkins and Winky entered the ring, and I was real excited when Michael Buffer yelled "LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS GET RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMBBBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!", Then I see Winky come out throw a left straight, Hopkins turn away like Walcott, and then went back to his typical style. Also, IMO they both held about 10 times as much as they should have. They almost held as much as John Ruiz, or the heavyweights of today. While I beleive the head butt that cut Winky was an accident, I didn't like the way Hopkins walked away smiling, or how Winky complained about every tiny little thing, and was acting it out a little too. I gave Hopkins the first round Winky the next 2, then Hopkins again, then I forget after that. But in the end, I had Hopkins winning 7 rounds to 5. In other words 115-113. I thought the judges were crazy giving Hopkins such a huge lead. I would have had it a draw if Winky went out and won the last round IMO. But over all, I was disapointed in the fight. I liked Hopkins robe and trunks/gloves though. I want those pads, they were my favorite shade of blue. The undercards IMO were much better than the actual fight. Not a bad PPV over all.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
i had it 5 rounds a piece with 2 even. it dont know how accurate this is, i watched it on sopcast for free and it wasnt all that clear and it skipped a little here and there. ill let ya know what i score again this upcoming saturday. I actually expected more to be honest.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Yeah actually i hated the main event. And did you notice how much Hopkins went after the cut with his head and stuff? And i agree with you about the clinching. wtf?! they did it way too much.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I didn't get to watch the fight due to QT with the wife and kids. But my buddy that did told me that he thought the weight was to much for Winky. He said he looked good at the beginning and when the holding started, it just seemed to wear him out. Is that what it seemed to any of you?

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Winky did look very fleshy at 170. Hopkins won the fight i thought when i watched it, but i didnt score it. I always watch the fights once then score it on the second time. It wasnt that bad of a fight really i didnt think, Hopkins was partcularly guilty of holding but outside of that it was a decent fight.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had the fight a draw. However that was some of the worst Ref'ing I have ever seen! There should have been atleast one point taken away from B-Hop for holding. If he continued then another point. I think this would have caused the fight to get much better. Because Hop would have had to start fighting harder and then winky would retaliate causing a real fight. Instead it was typical dirty hopkins holding holding holding and winky looking very tired at the end. All in all lame.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can't blame everything on Hopkins. Winky was acting and complaining about nothing. Winky held Hokins and made it look like Hopkins was holding him from about round 5 and on. Also, Hopkins wasn't head butting that much. Sure he did a little, but the first one was 100% an accident. Even Winky said so. Winky leaned into him more than Hopkins went into Winky. Can you blame Hopkins for going after the cut though? Winky had a pretty nasty cut there, and Hopkins knew if he opened it up enough, he could possibly get a TKO. But all in all, I give the fight a 6/10. They did have some good exchanges at times.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
7th was a good round, and also the last round was pretty good. I thought Hopkins initaited the majority of the holding. Hopkins is a dirty fighter, but he does it very slyly and the referee usually doesnt notice it. If you can get away with it though, you might as well take the advantage.

I just watched and scored it. I had it 6 for Hop, 5 for Winky and 1 even. 115-114 Hopkins. He deserved the win, but the cards were ridiculously wide.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LeedsLad said:
7th was a good round, and also the last round was pretty good. I thought Hopkins initaited the majority of the holding. Hopkins is a dirty fighter, but he does it very slyly and the referee usually doesnt notice it. If you can get away with it though, you might as well take the advantage.

I just watched and scored it. I had it 6 for Hop, 5 for Winky and 1 even. 115-114 Hopkins. He deserved the win, but the cards were ridiculously wide.

Yeah, thats what I had it. I gave the one real close one to Hopkins cause he was the champ, and Winky was challenging him for his title. I would say Hokpins initiated about 65-70% of the clinches, but Winky held on longer.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
A post-fight CompuBox count found 132 combined clinches in the fight. Hopkins initiated 74, Wright 53, with five mutual clinches. Of Wright’s 53 clinches, 41 occurred between rounds 8 and 12, with 19 occurring in the last minute of each round.
Wright did initiate more than i thought, it was an amazing amount for a 12 round fight lol. Winky's were more down to being tired though i think, since they were mostly at the end. Hopkins was trying to slow it down to his pace.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I stayed up for the fight and although I was watching through very drunken eyes I scored the fight to Hopkins but I do agree the judges scores were wide. The undercard was very good aswell.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm glad the undercard was very good. That guy that came in with the spartan helmet really got busted up. If I didn't see the whole fight I would have thought he got his butt kicked with how bad he was cut up.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Yes, Katsidis is someone to be excited about. Hopkins fought the way he usually fights. He frustrates the hell out of opponents and lands straight rights all night. Same story against winky, and that is why I picked Bernard to win. Who's next???

·
Registered
101 Posts
bill1234 said:
You can't blame everything on Hopkins. Winky was acting and complaining about nothing. Winky held Hokins and made it look like Hopkins was holding him from about round 5 and on. Also, Hopkins wasn't head butting that much. Sure he did a little, but the first one was 100% an accident. Even Winky said so. Winky leaned into him more than Hopkins went into Winky. Can you blame Hopkins for going after the cut though? Winky had a pretty nasty cut there, and Hopkins knew if he opened it up enough, he could possibly get a TKO. But all in all, I give the fight a 6/10. They did have some good exchanges at times.
Yeah winky started holding after he saw that the ref wasn't going to do his job. I give this fight a 3.5 our of 10. It could have been much more offensive if the ref took a point away from holdkins causing him to step it up a notch....:dunno:

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
The compubox stats showed that 41/53 of clinches which Winky initiated came in the last 4 rounds, so its obvious he was feeling the pace and got tired.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
Yes, Katsidis is someone to be excited about. Hopkins fought the way he usually fights. He frustrates the hell out of opponents and lands straight rights all night. Same story against winky, and that is why I picked Bernard to win. Who's next???

Yeah, I picked Hopkins to win. It caused 6 murders in philly though. Someone bet on Winky, and didn't have the money, and the guy shot 6 people with 9 rounds with a semi automatic. Now philly has 233 recorded murders this year. Last year they passed the number of days in a year with murders.:( B-Hops home town is killing its self.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Reed422 said:
Yeah winky started holding after he saw that the ref wasn't going to do his job. I give this fight a 3.5 our of 10. It could have been much more offensive if the ref took a point away from holdkins causing him to step it up a notch....:dunno:

But since it was such a big fight, and Winky did do some acting in the clinches, the ref couldn't take the point away with out being bashed for it. Winky was acting a lot in the clinches. More then once Hopkins intitated the clinch, but Winky wouldn't let go when Hopkins tried to break.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I can't help but to disagree. Just because it is a big fight does not mean that the rules aren't there to be followed. 2 Warnings followed by a point deduction. He warned him about 100 times. The ref sucked.

·
Registered
229 Posts
without a doubt I was disapointed with it...the headbutt made Winky lose IMO...every two seconds they would throw and get in close and hold on...which was Hopkins fault because he kept going in head first to Winky throwing wild punches and theyd get close and Winky has nothing to do but grab on to Kopkins before he runs him over or headbutts him. Hopkins made the fight boring IMO and honestly wouldnt care if I ever see him in the ring again.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts