Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not in a boxing club but I wa wondering if anyone here was in one and is it worth it?
Also what do you do at a boxing club to work out?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Its not really a club that I am in but I box with a few guys I know every few weekends I am intrested to join a club but I also need to know more.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ebittner:

I was lucky enough to find a good club in Vancouver when I was a kid. A good coach will work with you from stance to balance to footwork, speed bag and will show an interest in teaching you. I'd suggest checking around your local area and find out who the good coaches are. Some coaches will 'cherry pick' but the good ones will work with anyone who wants to learn, even the timid ones..and especially the timid ones. 85% of kids start boxing for one of two reasons: They LIKE to fight, or they are tired of being shoved around by some bully at school or wherever

Some coaches just make fighters, others make boxers out of sluggers, make pit bulls out of poodles, and sometimes tame an animal (A hard hitting sparring partner can do this real quick)

A workout will consist of doing everything to the tune of a three minute round with a one minute rest in between (This is pre-stone age, but methods haven't changed a lot)

You warm up for 2 rounds, shadow box for maybe 2 more then hit the speed bag and skip rope a round each. When you are warm, you might hit the heavy bag, then catch your wind and spar 3 rounds.. maybe one more later on

A good coach will work with you on the heavy bag and teach you technique.
To build stamina, we would go 2-3 rounds in the ring with the coach who held the medicine ball and he made you hit it.. and you could get so tired you'd want to puke. Speed bag comes after that, then more heavy bag work. Cool down on the speed bag and then... do pushups until you cannot do one more no matter how hard you try. After that, situps are good, just do 20-30 on the incline board. Train 3 days a week and go real hard, rest on your off-days. A workout will go for about an hour and ten mins. Meaning 17-18 rounds.

That's about how a workout goes. Fees were cheap back then. These guys coach for the love of the sport, and once you have trained for even 4 months you have enough experience that you are kind of in 'the brotherhood' I cannot explain what that means, but you will know after your initial 3-4 month break in period. After 4 months you will feel better than you ever felt in your life.

Lastly decide that you are going to have the meanest, fastest, hardest left jab in your weight division and train it real hard. You will win more fights too, and a good jab will get you out of trouble when you are tired or getting thumped. Oh yeah, don't drop your right hand (the most common mistake of any amateur, and many pros too)

Oh by the way, some of the most decent and good hearted people you will ever meet are in the fight game. (dunno about the pros though)

Good luck

·
Registered
116 Posts
Its definitely worth it

I go to a boxing club near the college that I attend and I'd have to say that its worth it. Its actually a free club but its top notch. If you work hard enough a trainer will pick you up and show you the ropes. My trainer says that the price of admission is blood and sweat. The people there are really cool with you if you show respect. Thats all its about really, showing respect and gaining respect by working hard.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just practice with friends as well, there are no decent clubs around here as far as I know so for now this will have to make do

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Nice post by Glen above.

I train at a local gym. Our workouts are very tough, and intense. They last almost 2 hours, 4 days in a row each week. 20mins jump rope, 5 rounds speedbag, 5rnds heavy bag, 3-5 rnds uppercut bag, 4 rnds on the cycle, a little double-end bag if you have time, and then finish it all off with the exercises(pushups/crunches/situps/jumping jacks)

At a gym you will push yourself much harder, and you will have the experience of a coach, and frtends to help you with your balance, stance, defense, etc. Theres no better workout you can get. This is coming from someone who plays football/basketball/softball and hockey.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Captainobvious99 said:
Nice post by Glen above.

I train at a local gym. Our workouts are very tough, and intense. They last almost 2 hours, 4 days in a row each week. 20mins jump rope, 5 rounds speedbag, 5rnds heavy bag, 3-5 rnds uppercut bag, 4 rnds on the cycle, a little double-end bag if you have time, and then finish it all off with the exercises(pushups/crunches/situps/jumping jacks)

At a gym you will push yourself much harder, and you will have the experience of a coach, and frtends to help you with your balance, stance, defense, etc. Theres no better workout you can get. This is coming from someone who plays football/basketball/softball and hockey.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I played lacrosse/football/basketball but boxing was always the most intense workout because it relies 100% on how much effort you put or don't put into it.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
I go to a gym every tuesday and wednsday, sometimes I go on monday. I used to liftweights but that place closed up. First I get up into the ring I shadow box from corner to corner, when I reach the opposite corner I do my foot work by going to the farthest corner where I just was. Then I get the gloves on hit the heavybag for 4 rounds. After that I take the gloves off and do 80 sit ups with a 4 lb weight on my chest on an incline of about 45 degrees. Then I get the gloves on again and do the mits fo 4-5 rounds. After that I hit the speedbag for 4 rounds. Then I jump rope for 4 rounds. Sometimes I go on the machiines it depends if anyones on them or not. Then I bob and weave under a rope for 3 rounds. I also use this pendulum thingy its only on a chain hanging on the ceiling. I duck under that and punch while I'm ducking. Thats what I do its pretty succesful. It improved my power and speed. It also depends on your trainer, I hapened to have 2 excelent trainers and a former heavyweight champion (Larry Holmes) giving me instructions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How would you learn to box without a club? I'm just curious. Like, you guys that just box with your friends, do any of you have any knowledge of what you're doing or do you guys just hit each other?

I go to a club, and I've been spending mad time just on learning to perfect the jab and the right. Like every little detail. I'm new of course.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Opening a new boxing gym?

No gym in my area and I'm sick of not being able to work out. I literaly have gym withdrawals. I dont have a lot of money and I dont want to go broke. I've done my homework and plenty of interest. What do I do????

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Captainobvious99 said:
Nice post by Glen above.

the guys at our gym train very similar to yours captain, im not doing the circuit myself just now though because ive hardly done any traning the past 4 months and i think it'd probably kill me. :laugh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
well i also train at a gym and i assume pretty much everyone on this site has atleast gone and given it a go atleast once and they quit because they got popped in the nose or got sick of their trainer telling them there not ready yet, whatever. I would type more but i have an oblicue fracture of the 5th meticarple (your hand) so it is abit tough

1 - 14 of 14 Posts