Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me, I get hit maybe 4-5 times good and clean in a round, and only about 2-3 times where I really felt it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't really get hit that often, and only about once cleanly a round, max 3. But most of the time they have been deflected, so no damage.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I don't like getting hit, honestly, but it comes with the territory so I deal with it. I'm not talking about little tap taps, I'm talking about really getting hit. I don't let that happen often :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Too many, I've just started boxing my sparring partner hits me quite a bit,

Getting better at taking his punches and sending my own back now though :)

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
The key is to get to where you are able to keep your eyes open. Something I did a long time ago was have a friend jab at me and extend to about an inch away from my nose/fase to try and get used to keeping my eyes open. Other than that keep your chin tucked and shoulders up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also if you are getting hit a little too often ask him toslow the pace down, afterall you are just starting and theres no need to get hurt if you can avoid it.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I have found it to help. The more you see the better you can be. After a while you will get to the point where you will keep your eyes open for practically the entire session. Good luck!

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Salty24 said:
Also if you are getting hit a little too often ask him toslow the pace down, afterall you are just starting and theres no need to get hurt if you can avoid it.
Something tells me that if I asked that, I'd be getting a prompt ASS kicking. lol

·
Registered
468 Posts
Anyone have any tips for getting better at taking shots?

Is it just something you develop over time or do you have to be naturally "hard".

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Upstairs or downstairs? Downstairs you basically want to be as rock solid as possible. You really don't want to be taking too many body shots though man. You really can't get "better" at getting punched though. You gotta get better at not getting punched.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I don't like defense so I get hit a lot. I prefer to always come forward while I bob and weave. In answer to someones question about getting "better" at taking shots. A pro at my gym said that he does a lot of neck strengthening exercises and it has greatly improved his ability to take shots. He is a HW so he needs to have that ability.

·
Registered
468 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
Upstairs or downstairs? Downstairs you basically want to be as rock solid as possible. You really don't want to be taking too many body shots though man. You really can't get "better" at getting punched though. You gotta get better at not getting punched.
Can you expand on that mate?

I'm good at taking shots downstairs I went sparring today and took quite a few decent hooks, they hurt but I got myself through.

It's upstairs thats the problem.

·
Registered
468 Posts
theboz19 said:
I don't like defense so I get hit a lot. I prefer to always come forward while I bob and weave. In answer to someones question about getting "better" at taking shots. A pro at my gym said that he does a lot of neck strengthening exercises and it has greatly improved his ability to take shots. He is a HW so he needs to have that ability.
What type of exercises mate?

·
Registered
318 Posts
spiderbloke said:
What type of exercises mate?
We have a weight machine at the gym specifically for neck strengthening. I purchased a strap and hook system from ringside I think. You hook some weights and the strap goes on your head. It is then a simple exercise of using your neck to lift the weights. It is not as effective as the machine but since I only go to the gym once a week it does in a pinch. Stronger neck muscles will keep your head from spinning when getting hit.

If you are bothered by temple shots it is possible that you have a thin skull such as I do. Thicker skulls are generally able to absorb more of the shock. I try to deflect as many shots as possible to prevent them from landing solidly because my brain is rattled pretty easily.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts