Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What did you guys think of it? While I though that Witherspoon wouldn't have recovered in the one minute between rounds and then would have been knocked down again in the fourth, I thought the ending of the fight was a mess. It's obvious to me why states like Tennessee aren't boxing hotbeds. The referee was a joke and didn't seem to have a clue. Whomever was responsible for ringing the bell was having their share of troubles. They were ill-prepard all around to properly manage any situation out of the norm. The way I saw it, Witherspoon could have lost via a KO when he tried to get up from the second knockdown and fell back down. Problem was, the referee didn't rule it that way, gave him the count, which he beat and then called it a DQ. I think there was a solid chance that the bell was "rung" and that Witherspoon's corner heard it because it was on their end, but that no one else did. His corner didn't seem to jump in prematurely. There was no time left in the round as he fell to the fround and that long pause was confusing to everyone. I notice Arreola's promoter Dan Goosen in the ear of the ref and when they interviewed him after the fight about why he ruled it the way he did and did he think he'd let the fight go on, he had no good answers. "That's a tough question" he said.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Yeah, it was a definitely a mess.
Chazz was on queer street, no doubt but if he got up within the 10 count he should have been allowed to go to the corner and continue the fight. On the replay you could clearly hear the bell ring just before he hit the canvas.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It blows for both guys, because Chazz did beat the count, so he should have had the chance to go out on his back like he said in their pre-fight meeting. It's also a bad deal for Arreola who most likely would have gotten another big KO, but instead had to settle for a DQ which doesn't sound or look as good, but everyone in the building and watching on TV knew it was a KO for all intents and purposes.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Im not exactly sure what the rule was in this fight.

Does the bell save the fighter at the end of the round?

Does the fighter still have to make the count?

If the bell saves the fighter then it should be ruled a no contest but if it doesn't save the fighter and his corner helped him up then its a DQ.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Arreola got robbed of a KO win
Yep, Witherspoon was out of it after the second knockdown most refs would have stopped it when they'd see Chazz fall face first, try to get up, put a shoulder block on the canvas, then actually get up, walk backward til he was stopped by the ropes because he wasnt able to walk forward. Even then when his cornerman walked him back to his stool he was out of it, his corner was yelling at him and he had a blank stare on him, they asked him a question waiting for a response and he was like zombie they even did the Trinidad slap to him and he didnt react.

He finaly said something and was responsive when the fight was over

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I think Arreola looked good

·
Registered
30 Posts
That was confusing. He looked very wobbly, but still they should've let him continue to the next round. Even though it probably wouldn't of mattered anyways.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Yeah, it was a definitely a mess.
Chazz was on queer street, no doubt but if he got up within the 10 count he should have been allowed to go to the corner and continue the fight. On the replay you could clearly hear the bell ring just before he hit the canvas.
There should be an immediate rematch and the referee concerned severely censured

·
Registered
318 Posts
In the age of somewhat boring HW's, I like to watch Arreola fight. He appears too sloppy to beat a skilled boxer but there is only one skilled boxer with a title right now, IMO. I thought he would beat Chazz but I thought he would wear him out by 9 or 10. It's hard to fight guys that bring that much pressure unless you have nice foot skills.

Most refs stop that fight after Chazz does the face plant.

I think the bell should save you in all but the last round. I don't mean that your corner should be able to come into the ring and pick you up. I do mean that if you are down when the bell rings then you should get to take the minute to get up.

What does everybody think of an Arreola/Minto fight?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
There should be an immediate rematch and the referee concerned severely censured
Rematch for what? Chazz got dominated. No need for a rematch

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Rematch for what? Chazz got dominated. No need for a rematch
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say CJ has met Chazz before or has some personal tie to him. Maybe a friend of his met him at the BHOF. That's my guess. The fight wasn't even competitive. No need for a rematch.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say CJ has met Chazz before or has some personal tie to him. Maybe a friend of his met him at the BHOF. That's my guess. The fight wasn't even competitive. No need for a rematch.
Looks like you answered my question

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
I never saw the fight Shane and i've never met chazz though i have met his dad terrible tim lol. I just read the contraversyat the end looks like the ref was like Johnny LoBianco when Duran hit Ken Buchannan low and wayyy after the bell to end the round. He didnt know what to do he knew Duran was supposed to win

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I never saw the fight Shane and i've never met chazz though i have met his dad terrible tim lol. I just read the contraversyat the end looks like the ref was like Johnny LoBianco when Duran hit Ken Buchannan low and wayyy after the bell to end the round. He didnt know what to do he knew Duran was supposed to win
No need for a rematch. It was very one-sided. Trust me on this

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Than how in the hell can you call for a rematch? It wasn't even a competitive fight.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts