Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think so.

IMO Even though he was often exposed as a punching bag by the elite pro fighters, his blood and guts style contributed to the sport by exposing it to people otherwise uninterested. By establishing a fan base he opening the door to create more fans of the sport as a whole. This is what he brought to the table.

You couldn't even list him on the top twenty list of the past
decade, but the fact of him being good for the fight game in general is undisputed.

Should his inability to shine alongside the superstars of his era keep him out of the IBHOF?

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Why not? One of the most popular fighters of our era was part of the best trilogy ever. I could name some less deserving guys in the hall of fame tbh.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
To me you must be a great fighter to get in and he just wasnt a great fighter. He kept his name in the game and happened to have a slugfest with the same guy three times.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There might not be guys much worse than him that got in, but he certainly wouldn't be the worse. He was as big a part of boxing as anybody in the last twenty years, and did nothing but bring honor to the sport even in defeat.

And besides there letting Barry McGuigan in so why not Gatti?

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
LMAO, that is what I was going to say. If they let McGuigan in why not Gatti. By those (low) standards I could see Gatti getting in. The HOF isn't really what it is supposed to be. Only the greats should get in IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
There might not be guys much worse than him that got in, but he certainly wouldn't be the worse. He was as big a part of boxing as anybody in the last twenty years, and did nothing but bring honor to the sport even in defeat.

And besides there letting Barry McGuigan in so why not Gatti?
Two wrongs don't make a right.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
A few guys I know on boxingbb go annually. They seem to really like it, but it isn't something I would go to unless one of my favorites was being inducted.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Although I like Gatti and his big heart he couldnt even beat one A fighter in his era. So while were at it lets consider John Duddy. If he keeps fighting he's gonna bring alot of excitement win or lose and he brings new fans to boxing.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think they should let him in,besides hes how i started watching boxing.And now im highly addicted.:cheeky4:
This is exactly what I'm talking about, name a better fighter other than Oscar that created more fans to help preserve the very existance of the sport in the past decade.

They let journalists, refs, trainers, etc in the HOF why not somebody that helped preserve the sport for the next generation.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts