Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Michael Marley’s Boxing Confidential – News, Analysis, and Commentary

Bob Arum, the helpful elf that he can be at times, does not want to see the top echelon of the 130-pound division lie dormant while Manny Pacquiao tests lightweight waters against WBC champ David Diaz.

So the Pacman promoter has this suggestion when Mexican ringmaster Juan Manuel Marquez is done licking his wounds from his second bout with the Pinoy idol, take on undefeated Dominican,WBO champion Joan Guzman, undefeated WBA KO artist Edwin Valero or both of them.

“I keep saying this but I said it before Saturday’s bout and I will say it once again,” Arum told Boxingconfidential from his Las Vegas think tank. “and that is that Juan Manuel is an exciting fighter. There is no reason for him to just sit around while Manny is moving up in weight, which he is, against David.

“What Marquez should do is to fight Guzman, fight Valero or fight them both. Look, it’s not like the rest of the 130-pounders are all tomato cans. I’d say that Marquez against Guzman is a good matchup of styles and I can say the same thing for Valero against Marquez.”

Guzman has a mandatory title defense finally set for May 3 in Edinburgh, Scotland, against outgunned Scotsman Alex Arthur. If he gets past Arthur, would Guzman be interested in battling Marquez?

“No doubt,” Guzman manager Jose Nunez said. “We just resigned with Sycuan and we want the most meaningful bouts we can get so that includes Pacman, Marquez, Valero and anyone else. But Priority 1 is Alex Arthur and we’ve got to go overseas and take care of that business first.

“I do appreciate the shout out from Bob Arum though.”

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Update

From Fightnews.com

NEWS FLASH

Arum: Pacman deserves $8-10 million for third Marquez bout!
By Dennis Principe

If Manny Pacquiao fights Juan Manuel Marquez, the Filipino boxing sensation deserves to get at least $8 million. This was what Bob Arum told the daily morning Philippine radio program “Sports Chat” where the veteran promoter was the main guest recently. But despite the specific numbers being suggested, Arum said an immediate rematch will not be a good idea. In the same interview Arum revealed the ticket sales were the biggest by far achieved by the three-division world champion. Arum said the gate of the fight saw an income of $3,350,000, excluding the nearly $60,000 sales of the closed-circuit coverage. This amount, according to Arum, is Pacquiao’s all-time high, eclipsing the $2,900,000 revenue for the Filipino’s third bout with Mexican icon Erik Morales.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
If Floyd is making 20+ and Calzaghe is making 10+ then id say 8m is the least Pac deserves top be making.

More power to him, he's never in a bad fight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts