Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Mark Vester

Former three-division champion Marco Antonio Barrera is still talking with Golden Boy Promotions about a possible return to the ring in the next couple of months. Barrera announced his retirement after losing a twelve-round decision to Manny Pacquiao last October. It took a few short months before Barrera began making plans for a return.

Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, told Sportinglife that one of the main names discussed as a possible return opponent has been WBC super bantamweight champion Israel Vazquez. Vazquez has a trilogy bout scheduled with Rafael Marquez on March 1. He would need to win for the Barrera fight to happen. He would also have to move up from 122 to 130-pounds.

"Marco Antonio Barrera came to see me a few weeks ago and he indicated to me that he does want to come back and he does want to continue fighting," Schaefer said. "I have discussed with him some possibilities, one of which would be against Israel Vazquez (co-promoted by Golden Boy and Sycuan), who is preparing for a rubber match against Rafael Marquez.

"If Vazquez were to win the potential for him to move up to fight Marco Antonio Barrera has been discussed, and that would be a very exciting fight."

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
How good do you think Vazquez would be at 130 anyways?

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
I still want to see Valero fight. It sounds like he is a huge puncher

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
He's not that good imo. He'd get torn to shreds by guzman, pacquiao, marquez. I think even the washed up morales and barrera would beat him up badly.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Ok, watched a couple clips of Valero. Swings wide, doesnt keep his chin tucked, really leaves himself exposed when he goes for the body. But damn he hits HARD. If he caught ANYONE clean they are in trouble

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
he hits hard, I guess. But he's only been knocking out bums. He's not world class. I'd strongely argue that juan manual marquez hits harder, and pacquiao, and morales.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
he hits hard, I guess. But he's only been knocking out bums. He's not world class. I'd strongely argue that juan manual marquez hits harder, and pacquiao, and morales.
Vincente Mosquera (who he stopped for the title) was no bum. But the rest were

·
Registered
221 Posts
Another guy who just won't stay retired. I would probably be the same the way I love the sport. But this is one guy Barrera should probably stay away from. Size advantage he has but at this point that is about it.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Barerra looked ok in his last outing which is more than we can say for most guys who fight past their prime. He should really just stay away and not fall into a fight where he gets really beat up like nearly every other solid guy who fights too long. Retire with pride and no hospital visit.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
considering his opponent was pacquiao, barrera is still a decent fighter, hell many people felt he beat marquez. He could outbox vasquez I feel though. Although manny was pretty tame his last time out, so i really dont know. Im always up for barrera/morales IV.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
I think the fight will happen because IV will lose to RM. And instead of it being PPV it might end up on HBO.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts