Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you guys would know how one goes about becoming a tv or any other sort of boxing commentator. The reason im asking is becuase after some thinking it seems like it would be a job id love. I love public speaking.. and at the end of my next semester of school ill have a BA degree with a Major in Journalism and a minor in Public speaking. Already being decently educated in boxing (both doing it myself and watching a **** load of it) i think that im well on my way to being qualified to fill the job of a commentator. So do you guys have any advice?

-Melty

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I'm not completely certain, but I have a friend who is a professional referee who may be able to help you out if you want his email. Let me know Melty. And thumbs up on your completion of college buddy. I have a year and a half left. I'm taking my time trying to figure out what I want to do.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
My dad is actually the commentator on boxing here in Iceland, and i could problaby join him some day, he even offered it to me some time when the partner could not show up but i was like 16 and did not want to do that back then :D But maby someday :O

ps. yeah and bout the advice i really dont know my dad was kinda famous in Iceland and thats problaby why he got it :) Back when Boxing was illegal in Iceland he actually set up an exebition(sp?)match and went to jail and **** for it, but now Olympic boxing is allowed here so atleast he accomplished something :)

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
A lot of commentators start out as journalists and as they gain respect can gain connections and weasle their way in. Other than that, you pretty much have to have been a well known fighter or trainer.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
I'm not completely certain, but I have a friend who is a professional referee who may be able to help you out if you want his email. Let me know Melty. And thumbs up on your completion of college buddy. I have a year and a half left. I'm taking my time trying to figure out what I want to do.
Is your ref friend from Dallas Pretty boy if so I probably know him

1 - 7 of 7 Posts