Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a process or steps you're supposed to take to become an amateur boxer? Or do you just sign yourself up, weigh in and are labeled as an amateur?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea just join a local boxing gym
All of them around here are $80-120 a month. I'm looking to do this for a little bit, get some exposure to some trainers who'd expose me to a lower, better priced gym.

·
Premium Member
5,471 Posts
All of them around here are $80-120 a month. I'm looking to do this for a little bit, get some exposure to some trainers who'd expose me to a lower, better priced gym.

So you are going to try and fight with no real previous training, you wont impress any trainer by getting your ass kicked like that, and believe me thats exactly what would happen

It might look easy on TV, you might think certain fighters are beatable by you, but they are trained boxers and you wouldnt stand a chance

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
So like, go get checked out by the doctor and tell him I'm trying to be an amateur boxer, he'll register me?
The gym is gonna give you a paper that the doctor will sign after your physical exam.

And they're letting you train? You got a license? Even if you don't compete it's weird. If you get injured they could be in trouble.

·
Premium Member
5,471 Posts
And they're letting you train? You got a license? Even if you don't compete it's weird. If you get injured they could be in trouble.

I signed a few papers when i joined up, one was an insurance legal thing, in case i get injured, It had a small box telling you to write in any health probs

and thats about it haha

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So you are going to try and fight with no real previous training, you wont impress any trainer by getting your ass kicked like that, and believe me thats exactly what would happen

It might look easy on TV, you might think certain fighters are beatable by you, but they are trained boxers and you wouldnt stand a chance
I guess we'll have to see, buddy. I know a guy who's willing to show me some stuff, but let me go once I enter a real gym. He fought Mugabi and Holyfield in the amateurs. I trust him.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I signed a few papers when i joined up, one was an insurance legal thing, in case i get injured, It had a small box telling you to write in any health probs

and thats about it haha
That's how I thought it was too. Just sign a few things, make payment and box!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The gym is gonna give you a paper that the doctor will sign after your physical exam.

I KNOW there's a way around that gym thing, man. The Puyallup Wallop had guys in there that never even TOUCHED a gym.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is this guy who thought Mugabi and Holyfield:)laugh:) going to hit you in the face alot
No, actually he went the distance with both and lost. He took some damage, he's got a real fucked up nose and scars on his face... lulz so you could be right. baha. But I know the basics, but I know he could show me somethings, and get me in better shape.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is this guy who thought Mugabi and Holyfield:)laugh:) going to hit you in the face alot
and btw, by "expose me to a better gym" I didn't mean "show my great skills off to someone who'd love to have me." It was just me saying, that somewhere would eventually lend a hand because I'm serious.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts

and thats about it haha
Must be a small gym then. Most gyms (and this is true for any sport) ask you to get checked.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts