Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking in to adding a heavy bag and have a question to pose to the more experienced here.

Which would be better; an angle bag or a straight heavy bag?

Now I am weighting in at 230 lbs. and the angle bag only comes in at 60 lbs. Where the typical straight heavy bag varies. I like the idea of having one bag in my garage that I can work a variety of punches, with the weight being lighter this will also help with movement.

Please give me your input on this as I would like to make the right decision the first time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
at 230 pounds you should be using a 100 pound heavy bag if youre trying to keep your power but you can use anything really in mexico alot of kids would ounch phone books tapped together when they had no bag

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike, I was not sure with the 60 lbs. angle bag. You have me leaning to the 100+ lbs heavy bag.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Captain,

Thanks for your input. Both Mike and you have given me some insight as to what is best for me.

Now as for product, I know, I know quality. But with a family and all practical is the best for me. I went and purchased a Everlast 100 lbs at Academy Sports (70.00). I feel that is best for me right now, as I will be using it for a cardio/conditioning type workout.

I go to a cardio based boxing session twice a week and this will give me that extra in between classes and also strengthen by punch. Maybe my kid will knock it around a few times.....we can only hope.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
21 Posts
at 230 pounds try to get the heaviest bag you can.And dont be mislead by imitations only the rafter hanger from title boxing cag hold such a bag.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unless you rarely plan on hitting the bag stay away from the cheap Everlast and Century bags you find at sports academy. If you hit them on a regular basis you will only get from 6 months to a year out of them before the D rings tear off, the bag splits, or it hourglasses beyond repair. If your at 230 you need a heavy bag. I'm a middleweight, grated I cut a good bit to get there, but I hit a 150lb bag

1 - 13 of 13 Posts