Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On April 19 in Las Vegas, Bernard Hopkins faces what many are considering his toughest challenge, Joe Calzaghe. Leading up to the fight, Hopkins told Calzaghe he'd never lose to a white boy. That comment has attracted a lot of heat on Hopkins, with many people feeling the comment was racial and made him look like a racist.

In a recent interview by Ian Stafford of the Daily Mail UK, Hopkins stated that where he grew up, he never saw any
white people, so it's unacceptable for him to lose to a white person. Hopkins however defends his comments to the publication and says he is not a racist.

In regards to why he said the "White Boy" comment to Calzaghe, Hopkins tells the Daily Mail: "I wanted to test the pulse. I knew it would get under his skin and it did. I smell fear in people that others can't because of where I've come from. Everyone knows I'm not a racist. Most of my team are white, and that includes my coach."

Hopkins added went more in depth, stating. "What I said was a social comment. Where I come from, in the North Philly projects, in the State Penitentiary, and especially in the boxing rings, I never saw a white face. So it's unacceptable to me that a white guy can defeat me after where I've had to drag myself up from."

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
I didn't see a black person face to face until I was ten. I knew they existed though. I saw them on the television.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
guys a legend in the sport...but as soon as he said that ****...im hopign Calzaghe lights him the hell up.
Ive known Bernard Hopkins for many years, you can call him anything you want but he is in no way a racist. He's hyping the fight. Like the puerto rican flag deal its staged planned out.
He's right though about where he came from he cheated death at least 3 times. He means it when he says " I fear no man that breathes the same air that I do" Calzaghe will have his hands full and then so0me I feel

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Ive known Bernard Hopkins for many years, you can call him anything you want but he is in no way a racist. He's hyping the fight. Like the puerto rican flag deal its staged planned out.
He's right though about where he came from he cheated death at least 3 times. He means it when he says " I fear no man that breathes the same air that I do" Calzaghe will have his hands full and then so0me I feel
Ha Ha. Prepare for incoming. :cheeky4:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
On April 19 in Las Vegas, Bernard Hopkins faces what many are considering his toughest challenge, Joe Calzaghe. Leading up to the fight, Hopkins told Calzaghe he'd never lose to a white boy. That comment has attracted a lot of heat on Hopkins, with many people feeling the comment was racial and made him look like a racist.

In a recent interview by Ian Stafford of the Daily Mail UK, Hopkins stated that where he grew up, he never saw any
white people, so it's unacceptable for him to lose to a white person. Hopkins however defends his comments to the publication and says he is not a racist.

In regards to why he said the "White Boy" comment to Calzaghe, Hopkins tells the Daily Mail: "I wanted to test the pulse. I knew it would get under his skin and it did. I smell fear in people that others can't because of where I've come from. Everyone knows I'm not a racist. Most of my team are white, and that includes my coach."

Hopkins added went more in depth, stating. "What I said was a social comment. Where I come from, in the North Philly projects, in the State Penitentiary, and especially in the boxing rings, I never saw a white face. So it's unacceptable to me that a white guy can defeat me after where I've had to drag myself up from."

What an idiot! I can only respect him for what he is in the squared circle. He says he sin't a racist then is quoted saying the comment that I embolded. Why would it be unacceptable to lose to a white person? He's obviously implying that they are a weaker people.

:thumbsdown: For Hopkins but I hope he wins. Adding to that, him up on the ropes screaming "USA, USA" after knocking Tito out was classic. A historical momemt in boxing. As soon as he steps out the ring though, he's a low educated street thug who pretends he is smart trying to use big words in interviews and such.

So :thumbsup: For Hopkins in the Ring,

and :thumbsdown: for Hopkins as soon as he steps out.

That's my opinion on the guy.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
What an idiot! I can only respect him for what he is in the squared circle. He says he sin't a racist then is quoted saying the comment that I embolded. Why would it be unacceptable to lose to a white person? He's obviously implying that they are a weaker people.

:thumbsdown: For Hopkins but I hope he wins. Adding to that, him up on the ropes screaming "USA, USA" after knocking Tito out was classic. A historical momemt in boxing. As soon as he steps out the ring though, he's a low educated street thug who pretends he is smart trying to use big words in interviews and such.

Im the opposite of that. If i dont like someone outside the ring i tend not to root for them it either.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
That explains the bias on Mayweather?
I guess it does. I still respect him as the best in the game though.

I was the same with Hamed, I must have been the only Brit who was glad when MAB put a beating on him.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Dude, mad props for admitting it. :thumbsup: (No sarcasm)

I honestly thought you were going to deny it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:laugh:

Ive never denied or said he aint the best, ive also picked him to beat Cotto if there fight ever came off.

I just dont think Floyd wants to fight him, I think he wants to end his career fighting guys he knows he can beat easily.

That is my gripe.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Tommy, that's exactly the way I feel about Floyd, and well, any other fighter for that matter. I love great skills in the ring and a great attitude outside it. as far as the white boy comment goes, hopkins said it was meant to get under Calzaghes skin, and it did. that's bs, I seriously think it didn't bother Joe that much at all if ya wanna know my opinion. I agree with Calzaghe, it only made Hopkins look bad.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Does Floyd think that though?
Floyd Sr?

He said something along the lines of :

"Lil' Floyd would beat Cotto easy. Cotto comes straight at you and Lil' Floyd would beat him down".

Then the interviewer confronted him telling him PBF was taking on easy C class fighters and Sr said something like:

"What? Are you telling me De La Hoya is a C class fighter? He's fighting up at 154 and Lil' Floyd is a natural 140lbs fighter".

As to what PBF would say, or is saying behind closed doors... I do not know.

I'll try and post the interview. I saw it on youtube a long time ago.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Tommy, that's exactly the way I feel about Floyd, and well, any other fighter for that matter. I love great skills in the ring and a great attitude outside it. as far as the white boy comment goes, hopkins said it was meant to get under Calzaghes skin, and it did. that's bs, I seriously think it didn't bother Joe that much at all if ya wanna know my opinion. I agree with Calzaghe, it only made Hopkins look bad.
It wont bother Calzaghe in the slighest Bull. Omar Sheika tried to play the race card against Calzaghe and all he got was hit by 100 punches a round. :laugh:

Floyd Sr?

He said something along the lines of :

"Lil' Floyd would beat Cotto easy. Cotto comes straight at you and Lil' Floyd would beat him down".

Then the interviewer confronted him telling him PBF was taking on easy B class fighters and Sr said something like:

"What? Are you telling me De La Hoya is a B class fighter? He's fighting up at 154 and Lil' Floyd is a natural 140lbs fighter".

As to what PBF would say, or is saying behind closed doors... I do not know.

I'll try and post the interview. I saw it on youtube a long time ago.
I see it exactly like SR does. Cotto does not have the speed of foot to get near pbf to inflict damage without eating a lot of straight right hands in the way in. Cotto will look worse than Hatton did.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts

No disrespect intended Doc but I know the guy. Sure he's no angel he is a real bad-ass but he's no racist heck he treats me better than shane and lance do :cheeky4:

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
No disrespect intended Doc but I know the guy. Sure he's no angel he is a real bad-ass but he's no racist heck he treats me better than shane and lance do :cheeky4:
I did a little demographic research to shut you up.

Germantown is one of the more peaceful and affluent neighborhoods in Philadelphia. Bill Cosby is from there as well, as was Sun Ra. White collar workers outnumber blue collar workers by about 9/2. The median income is over $40,000 a year.

Crime rates are some of the lowest in the city.

Many people grew up in a rougher area of Philly than Hopkins did, with higher crime rates and lower median income. He did not live in North Philly, his parents did. So I can't help but laugh when he refers to his tough background: he's a middle class kid! Sure he went to prison, but anyone can do that. He was involved in a petty theft scandal. Big deal. He deserved it. He was stabbed in the front and back, but that can happen anywhere. Hell In bartlesville, oklahoma, Where I live. Voted one of the top 10 places to retire in The United states, a kid stabbed another kid with a pencil at my highschool and paralyzed the kid.

He's built a false image on being "street." But it's not him. Sorry if you thought he would be too "street" for Calzaghe or anyone else, but you have the wrong guy.

Now no one is doubting Hopkins toughness, he's proved so in the ring, but saying he never saw any white people when he grew up means that he must of been blind until he was 20 years old.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I see it exactly like SR does. Cotto does not have the speed of foot to get near pbf to inflict damage without eating a lot of straight right hands in the way in. Cotto will look worse than Hatton did.
I found the interview on youtube and re-watched it. He didn't talk much about Cotto like I had originally thought but he did say "Lil' Floyd will beat him, and beat him raggedy (spelling?)". I thought that was pretty funny.. LOL

YLxFxnGT5E
YouTube - Floyd Sr defends Floyd Jr w/Jose OnFire Aguirre 11-17-07

That's awsome that you know the guy. I don't know him so Im just judging by the way he portrays himself. Excuse my ignorance.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts