Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In a battle of former world champions, Bernard Hopkins (48-4-1, 32 KOs) won a unanimous decision over Winky Wright (51-4-1, 25 KOs) in a light heavyweight clash on Saturday night at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. Wright was cut over the left eye in round two by an unintentional headbutt. Wright was the aggressor with Hopkins trying to give angles. There was lots of holding and wrestling at close quarters. Hopkins' best weapon was a short right hand. Wright was busier, but the rounds were close and tedious. Hopkins seemed stronger at the end to pull away. Scores were 116-112, 117-111, 117-111.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
IMO the fight was really close with winky fighting his heart out, i thought hopkins just did enough though to nick it. i had the fight scored 115-113 for hopkins with him taking the last round.

the judges scoring seemed very excessive though, anyone scoring it 117-111 should not be near a sanctioned fight again, i agree with the right man getting the win but the judges scoring seemed down right corupt!!

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
yeah i agree with you that the right man won but it was closer than the judges scored it. BUT WHAT A ******* CLINCHFEST!!!! i hate clinchning man.

Man and that cut was NASTY!!! one of the baddest cuts ive seen in years!

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brutus said:
yeah i agree with you that the right man won but it was closer than the judges scored it. BUT WHAT A ******* CLINCHFEST!!!! i hate clinchning man.

Man and that cut was NASTY!!! one of the baddest cuts ive seen in years!
i didn't think the holding was that bad untill the 7th-8th when hop was trying to slow the fight down.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Tommy, I think you're scoring was very good. I scored it for B-Hop 6 rounds to 5 with one round split. When I heard 117-111 i was shocked. But after thinking about it, there were two rounds that really could have gone either way, so its not unthinkable IMO.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Captainobvious99 said:
Tommy, I think you're scoring was very good. I scored it for B-Hop 6 rounds to 5 with one round split. When I heard 117-111 i was shocked. But after thinking about it, there were two rounds that really could have gone either way, so its not unthinkable IMO.
even still captain, i thought the rounds winky won were clear cut with nard taking the close ones, it just had me puzzled how anyone could think winky lost 9 rounds in the fight. :(

·
Registered
229 Posts
just finished watching it, scored it 7-5 Hopkins. Decent fight, Wright landed the better punches IMO the heavyer punches. Hopkins just controled the fight for the most part and landed more punches. I think in a rematch Wright could possibly pull off a win...but going into this fight I had my money on Hopkins and he didnt disapoint even though after that disgusting display @ the weigh-in I was hoping Winky would knock him out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts