Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bernard Hopkins vs Marvin Hagler: Who would Win?

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Is it that obvious? I don't know personally, Bernard Hopkins at his best was excellent at nulifying the opponents best weapons and finding a way to win. Id favour Hagler, but i also think it would be very close.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Hagler was just too tough and too good, He never stopped comming, his punches would always find home, he could handle fighters with superior handspeed.. I'd say Hagler by decision.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Since this is about my favorite fighter of all time against my least favorite fighter, HAGLER! But I'll say it wouldn't be easy. Hagler by decision.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I cannot imagine Hagler ever beating Hopkins. Bernard is taller, just as strong, dirtier(in a slick way), takes a great punch and just seems to be a little smarter. Hopkins is the king of ring generalship, everyone fights his fight no matter what.
If Hagler bumrushed Hopkins, Bernard would tie him up and jab the sh%t out of him.(see Hopkins-Echols).
If he stalked Hopkins, Bernard would pick him apart(see Hopkins-Trinidad). If he tried to lay back Hopkins would beat him to the punch.(see Hopkins-Tarver). If Hagler stayed inside Hopkins would cleanly counter his every move(see Hopkins-Wright) and finally if he tried to be versatile B-hop would do whatever is necessary to win(see Hopkins-DLH/Joppy/Vanderpool/Eastman).
I am not underestimating Hagler one bit, but Hopkins has went about 13 years without losing more than a handful of rounds(see attached text) against an array of different fighters. He has no difficulty with southpaws and Hagler(greatly conditioned himself) could never count on Bernard fading down the stretch.
It would seem like a close fight over 12 rounds but I see it reading like this: Hopkins UD12 Hagler(117-111).

Hopkins is just a little bit better than Hagler in every single category,IMO. A rough fight but clear cut at the end who is the superior Middleweight.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Are you kidding me? Hagler would dominate Hopkins. Trinidad is no where COMPARED to Hagler. Nor is anyone you've mentioned. Hagler would absolutely dominate Hopkins man. Gotta watch some of his fights to know.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
I cannot imagine Hagler ever beating Hopkins. Bernard is taller, just as strong, dirtier(in a slick way), takes a great punch and just seems to be a little smarter. Hopkins is the king of ring generalship, everyone fights his fight no matter what.
If Hagler bumrushed Hopkins, Bernard would tie him up and jab the sh%t out of him.(see Hopkins-Echols).
If he stalked Hopkins, Bernard would pick him apart(see Hopkins-Trinidad). If he tried to lay back Hopkins would beat him to the punch.(see Hopkins-Tarver). If Hagler stayed inside Hopkins would cleanly counter his every move(see Hopkins-Wright) and finally if he tried to be versatile B-hop would do whatever is necessary to win(see Hopkins-DLH/Joppy/Vanderpool/Eastman).
I am not underestimating Hagler one bit, but Hopkins has went about 13 years without losing more than a handful of rounds(see attached text) against an array of different fighters. He has no difficulty with southpaws and Hagler(greatly conditioned himself) could never count on Bernard fading down the stretch.
It would seem like a close fight over 12 rounds but I see it reading like this: Hopkins UD12 Hagler(117-111).

Hopkins is just a little bit better than Hagler in every single category,IMO. A rough fight but clear cut at the end who is the superior Middleweight.
I agree :thumbsup:, I like both fighters but the physical mismatch itself will be the reason why Bhop will win this fight.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts

I disagree. Hagler can be argued for having one of the top 5 chins of all time. He had solid power, was one of the best conditioned fighters of all time, just got more determined if it was a tough fight, and could adapt very well. Hagler IMO was stronger than B-Hop, and he hit a little bit harder all around, just Hopkins has the better timing. Hagler wore down Leonard, and that is no easy thing to do. Leonard was beat by the end of their match. He also wore down Mugabi and Antuofermo. Marvin wouldn't just allow someone to jab the piss out of him, or to just tie him up. If they tied him up they would just tire themselves out after a while. He would constantly be working and pressuring. While Hopkins has a height advantage, Hagler has an advantage in almost every other aspect. Out of the guys you mentioned, none were near in the league of Marvin.

·
Registered
772 Posts

no way in a million years would b-hop win this fight....... hagler was a monster inside those ropes and you obviously haven't seen hagler fight or you would have a completely different opinion. if hagler was to step in the ring with the people you mentioned it would go like this

Echols- hagler would stop him coming forward by overpowering him him self hagler KO4

Trinidad- at MW trinidad was useless, too bulked up, not enough fitness, hagler KO6

Tarver- hagler KO2, tarver would sit back and take a massive beating

Wright- hagler would break winkys defense early KO5

DLH- too small for MW hagler would floor him early and finish him quickly afterwards, hagler KO6

Joppy- KO1(warm up fight)

Vanderpool- KO1 (warm up fight)

Eastman- KO1 (warm up fight)

I agree :thumbsup:, I like both fighters but the physical mismatch itself will be the reason why Bhop will win this fight.

your name avator and signature says it all.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Are you kidding me? Hagler would dominate Hopkins. Trinidad is no where COMPARED to Hagler. Nor is anyone you've mentioned. Hagler would absolutely dominate Hopkins man. Gotta watch some of his fights to know.
I am not very smart on the subject of Bernard Hopkins, but I would most definatley root for Hagler.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Hagler would eat bernard hopkins alive thats all you should know
That is probably not all that I should know. I would need to learn about Bernard Hopkins before I could say something educated about the matter. I just can't take your word for it. But right now, I am too lazy to do the research. lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts