Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welterweight titlist Andre Berto (22-0, 19 KOs), who stopped Miki Rodriguez in the seventh round June 21 to claim the belt Floyd Mayweather vacated upon his retirement, is being lined up to make his first defense against Steve Forbes, an ex-junior lightweight titlist and the second-season runner up on "The Contender." Forbes also gave Oscar De La Hoya a tough fight May 3 despite losing a lopsided decision at 150 pounds. The tentative date is Oct. 4 on HBO's "Boxing After Dark," Berto promoter Lou DiBella told ESPN.com. "Forbes wants the fight and ['Contender' promoter] Jeff Wald and I have an agreement in principle, but it's pending a few things with HBO, which has no problem with the fight. Andre is a work in progress and Forbes can fight his butt off. He touched up Oscar even though Oscar won the majority of the rounds. I'd love to see what my guy could do against Forbes and let people draw their own conclusions." If HBO has its way, the card will include Gary Shaw-promoted bouts involving rising prospects Yuriorkis Gamboa and Alfredo Angulo. DiBella prefers not to share a date with Shaw, which is one of the issues he must work out with HBO. Source: Dan Rafael, espn.com

Even with a title they are protecting Berto, though this is a step up from Rodriguez, it is far from the step up in competition we thought could be made. Seems like his team thinks his a little chinny, your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Who else is available? And Forbes got his name out there against Oscar so it's a good choice from a business point of view. Berto better be impressive though and it's still good on your resume to stop a guy that's never been knocked down or out.

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
I'm definitely on the Berto bandwagon at the moment, can see him beating Forbed (who I'm not a big fan of). He needs a KO to impress people though.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Who else is available? And Forbes got his name out there against Oscar so it's a good choice from a business point of view. Berto better be impressive though and it's still good on your resume to stop a guy that's never been knocked down or out.
What do you mean, who else is available? Like there isnt quality at welter and/or their all busy, Williams, Quintana, Cintron, Collazo, are all free and even Gomez, Rodriguez, or Karass who are guys his size and come to win. I agree with the last part though it would look real good stopping a guy the most popular active fighter in the world couldnt knock down or stop in his last fight.

I thought that Forbes was going back to 140, he had a good shot at being a beltholder there. This is a good business move for the short term, but garbage if he plans to keep fighting. Timothy Bradley is still looking for an opponent for his next fight on Showtime, that is a better opportunity than this. It sounds like Forbes will settle in to an opponent type role, he has to know he is fukking up his career in the process.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
What do you mean, who else is available? Like there isnt quality at welter and/or their all busy, Williams, Quintana, Cintron, Collazo, are all free and even Gomez, Rodriguez, or Karass who are guys his size and come to win.
Williams was in talk to fight Pavlik and now we know this won't happen but Berto wasn't gonna wait for him. All the other guys you mentioned wouldn't sell as much as Forbes since he fought Oscar and they all got starched in their last fight besides Collazo and Rodriguez (Karass ain't even an option) while Forbes has yet to be knocked down. I knew Berto was gonna make a few title defenses before trying to unify the division. It's all good because he'll fight Williams, Margarito or Cotto down the line.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Williams was in talk to fight Pavlik and now we know this won't happen but Berto wasn't gonna wait for him. All the other guys you mentioned wouldn't sell as much as Forbes since he fought Oscar and they all got starched in their last fight besides Collazo and Rodriguez (Karass ain't even an option) while Forbes has yet to be knocked down. I knew Berto was gonna make a few title defenses before trying to unify the division. It's all good because he'll fight Williams, Margarito or Cotto down the line.
All the more reason to face them since there good names, and guys that'll come to win and are actual welterweights. They arent trying to sell a fight its not on ppv, his last fight was against a d (c at best) type fighter, so I was expecting someone in the welterweight division to see how he measured up against what the top of the division have done. Forbes isnt bad, but except for his name he isnt ans never been a relevant welter. We will learn nothing new except that he can beat a smaller defensive fighter.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
All the more reason to face them since there good names, and guys that'll come to win and are actual welterweights. They arent trying to sell a fight its not on ppv, his last fight was against a d (c at best) type fighter, so I was expecting someone in the welterweight division to see how he measured up against what the top of the division have done. Forbes isnt bad, but except for his name he isnt ans never been a relevant welter. We will learn nothing new except that he can beat a smaller defensive fighter.
Forbes is a big name though. You can bet some of Oscar fans will tune up and if they like what they see they will watch Berto's future fights and eventually buy his PPVs. If everything goes right he can stop the guy that De La Hoya couldn't stop.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Forbes is a big name though. You can bet some of Oscar fans will tune up and if they like what they see they will watch Berto's future fights and eventually buy his PPVs. If everything goes right he can stop the guy that De La Hoya couldn't stop.
I would say Forbes has a big name, but his name should ring more bells than Quintana, etc. This is a good move for Berto for popularity not for seeing where he is at in his career compared to the other top welters, which is what he should be doing. This is an idiotic move for Forbes, Wald is doing a Greg Leon type bonehead move with this. Again Tim Bradley is searching for an opponent for mid September in a much more winnable fight, either Forbes doesnt want to box any more or Wald and whoever is his manager (or adviser) are idiots.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Forbes can box. No way in hell Berto stops him. I'll pick Berto, I just gotta stir the pot a little. I'll roll with Berto by close decision. He won't look good in this fight.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
If Berto stops Forbes im def joining the bandwagon, but i just dont see it happening, i do see Berto winning a hard fought decision tho.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.