Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is the right section, so forgive me if I'm mis-posting this.

I am moving to Colorado Springs, CO. I googled to find boxing gyms in the area and there are a few. One of them is the Army World Class Athlete Program.

I have a few questions if anyone would be kind enough to help me out.

First is, can I train with the world class athletes in the army as a citizen?

Does anyone know a good gym in that area?

Also, I will probably be relocating to youngstown, OH. Does anyone know if Coach Loew, Pavlik's trainer, is good to learn from?

Thanks guys!:)

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
1)I'm not sure if you can train in their gym alongside them, as it's probably on a base and you'd need clearance a civilian might not be able to get. Some of the soldiers do go to the USA Amateur boxing gym to spar against other fighters though.

2)That's where the Olympic and National US champs go to train before national tournaments and fights abroad, so although you probably wouldn't be able to train alongside them, there has to be an abundance of good gyms and solid trainers.

3)Loew is probably real good at getting his fighters in optimum conditioning which is great for amateurs. I don't think he's good at showing technique and game planning though.

This isn't the right section for this thread, so I'll move it. No worries :thumbsup:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is some really good information. Thanks for that. I am disenchanted with top level trainers like freddy roach because learning from him is hard because he is in such high demand. I don't even have my pro license yet, but I think I will go real far with the right trainer. I need someone who has a little bit of time for me, ya know? Anyways, I don't need any help with getting in shape, but I could use a lot of help in the power punching dept. and technical skills. Would you suppose Jack Loew would be good to look in to? (perhaps there are other trainers there that teach better technique) Also, why do you think he might not be the best technical trainer?

Do you have any gyms that you would recommend in Colorada Springs? There seem to be quite a few gyms out there and, by looking at some websites, I don't see anything appealing. (some of them are kickboxing gyms and that is an indicator that they are not real boxers- in my experience)

Once again, thanks so much!

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Every high level trainer is pretty much like that, especially pro. Loew might be a good trainer because he'll pay attention to you since he doesn't have too many other fighters, but I'm not sure on the technical part. I say that he might not be a good technical trainer because I judge a trainer on his pupils, especially the ones that he's grown up with, like Pavlik. Pavlik isn't the most technical fighter, he mostly overwhelms opponents with pressure, workrate, etc.

Nacho Beristain had the Marquez brothers from the beginning, you can see their technique and others from that gym are alike. Emanuel Steward is the same, most of the guys that started with him from the beggining have a similar style as well, etc. Same with all the other trainers.

I don't know about any good gyms out in Colorado Springs, maybe a one of our regular members, NSB might have some info on that:thumbsup:.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I don't know if this is the right section, so forgive me if I'm mis-posting this.

I am moving to Colorado Springs, CO. I googled to find boxing gyms in the area and there are a few. One of them is the Army World Class Athlete Program.

I have a few questions if anyone would be kind enough to help me out.

First is, can I train with the world class athletes in the army as a citizen?

Does anyone know a good gym in that area?

Also, I will probably be relocating to youngstown, OH. Does anyone know if Coach Loew, Pavlik's trainer, is good to learn from?

Thanks guys!:)
I don't really know any local gyms in colo springs. I have heard of one called Nomads but thats in Pueblo(not to far from you). If I was you I'd contact the USA Olympic Boxing Association that is based out of CO springs and they will def. have some good info for you. On a side note you could also look into the AFA, they have a long standing prestigious boxing program but I haven't got a clue whether civilians can take advantage of it.:dunno:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all that great info! What is the AFA? I will check out USA Boxing. Does Loew coach any other pros?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Check out 3D boxing in the springs(that's what we natives call Colorado springs) I know the coach personally. I'll get you the address tomorrow. He is one hell of a coach, He trained the late former world champion Chico Deiago, also former 3 time world champion Stevie 'little but bad 'Johnston.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check out 3D boxing in the springs(that's what we natives call Colorado springs) I know the coach personally. I'll get you the address tomorrow. He is one hell of a coach, He trained the late former world champion Chico Deiago, also former 3 time world champion Stevie 'little but bad 'Johnston.
I really appreciate that man. I love watching Chico. While he was a bit of a puching bag, that guy was one of the most entertaining fighters I've ever seen.

Is this coach looking for new fighters that are coachable and willing to do anything? I am not very technically sound, but I always manage to beat people better than me in a real fight. I just want to get better and turn pro, after getting enough amateur fights. I have run 20 miles of hills and sparred 25 rounds with fresh partners just to prepare for a fight, because my skills only take me so far-and I try to get an advantage by being able to punch anytime without tiring.

If you think this coach would be interested in working with me, hit me back on here or send me a pm.

Once again, I really appreciate it!:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts