Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I heard once that Floyd Mayweather had the best defense in the ring.

Anyway, I was interested if you all can give me some names of fighters with the tightest defense.

Regards

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts

Anyway, I was interested if you all can give me some names of fighters with the tightest defense.

Regards
Floyd Mayweather, Winky Wright, and Bernard Hopkins come to mind without thinking too much.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts

Regards
%Crafty veterans that love to shoulder roll
Bernard Hopkins
James Toney

% Guys who stand upright and block every punch you throw on the gloves.
Joshua Clottey
Winky Wright

Then there's boxer's who use footwork as their defense such as Corey Spinks.

Mayweather...he did all of the above.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
I like Mayweather's defense, as well as Hopkins and Toney.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I liked Toney'd defense back in the day, but these days he takes too many shots. I figured he was asking about present day boxing defenses, so I left James off.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
%Crafty veterans that love to shoulder roll
Bernard Hopkins
James Toney

% Guys who stand upright and block every punch you throw on the gloves.
Joshua Clottey
Winky Wright

Then there's boxer's who use footwork as their defense such as Corey Spinks.

Mayweather...he did all of the above.
Spinks uses his upper body more than his legs.

P4P the best defense is Bernard Hopkins, hands down. Someone that cuts your average punch output in half and gives you your worst landing percentage. He uses everything in the book.

Mayweather is second, but not by much, Cory Spinks is a very close third. Winky has been getting hit a lot since Taylor or Soliman whichever went first(compared to before) so I might put Clottey next. If Toney had more of his legs he'd be here too, but Margarito's is better right now.

:laugh:j/k

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts

P4P the best defense is Bernard Hopkins, hands down. Someone that cuts your average punch output in half and gives you your worst landing percentage. He uses everything in the book.

Mayweather is second, but not by much, Cory Spinks is a very close third. Winky has been getting hit a lot since Taylor or Soliman whichever went first(compared to before) so I might put Clottey next. If Toney had more of his legs he'd be here too, but Margarito's is better right now.

:laugh:j/k
That one caught me off guard! I was about to ask what you were smoking!

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
When I say Corey Spinks uses his legs, I'm aware the upper body movement is causing fighters to miss the shots, but without the legs he can't avoid them. He's no good as a stationary target, where as Mayweather, B-Hop, Clottey, Winky, and Toney are.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Ivan Calderon has way much more defense than ten Bernard Hopkins and ten FMJ's combined. He's so good at defending that his offense is already incorporated in it. Whereas Floyd or Nard's offense are limited by their emphasis on defense which can be penetrated easily by guys like Castillo and Calzaghe. Case closed, let's stop overrating Nard and Floyd too much, ok? :thumbsup:

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Ivan Calderon has way much more defense than ten Bernard Hopkins and ten FMJ's combined. He's so good at defending that his offense is already incorporated in it. Whereas Floyd or Nard's offense are limited by their emphasis on defense which can be penetrated easily by guys like Castillo and Calzaghe. Case closed, let's stop overrating Nard and Floyd too much, ok? :thumbsup:
Your ignorance about the sport of boxing is amazing sometimes.

:facepalm:

G

·
As soon as the word 'defense' is brought up in a boxing context, only one man comes to my mind. Winky Wright. There is literally a wall of glove in front of his face at all times. His opponents just punch leather alllll night long.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I liked Toney'd defense back in the day, but these days he takes too many shots. I figured he was asking about present day boxing defenses, so I left James off.
James did use his feet more when he was younger, but not by much. He was a inside fighter who could make you miss on the inside and fire back in an intelligent manner. For my money, he is one of the greatest defensive fighters of our generation. That's saying something cause he is hardly ever in boring fights, always willing to mix it up. Floyd, is also one of the greatest defensive fighters and will probably go down as the best. He was good, but his style is too predicated on it, often sacrificing offense for a don't hit me at all style, showing a lack of willingness to mix it up. Even with that, he is the greatest defensive fighter still.
When I say Corey Spinks uses his legs, I'm aware the upper body movement is causing fighters to miss the shots, but without the legs he can't avoid them. He's no good as a stationary target, where as Mayweather, B-Hop, Clottey, Winky, and Toney are.
Corey spinks is a black lucian bute. moved way too much, hugged way too much, and sacrifices offense to horrible degrees, resorting to illegal tactics in the ring to fight in a defensive manner. You are absolutely right, as a stationary target, he's horrible. Without his legs, he has little else. He's no james toney, that's for sure. Corey can't get inside and make you miss the way james does. It's either Corey's unwillingness to take shots on the inside, that a great defensive fighter still has to do, or he thinks dancing and ducking and hugging is the only way he can get it done. Either way, Corey spinks is garbage, just like lucian bute.
Ivan Calderon doesn't have the super defense you claim bro. He is a good fighter, but nowhere near what you think. Did you even see the Iron boy's last fight? If you did, i doubt you'd say he has "great" defense.
As for Floyd and Nard, as much as i dislike them both, They are defensive masters in the ring. And yes, there offense maybe hindered by their defensive mindsets, but its those mindsets that got them to where they are.

CASE NOT CLOSED, LOL.
If you wanna bash on floyd for not taking risks, being a prima donna, having an ego,,,,,go right ahead, but don't bash him for being rated the best defensive fighter of his generation, that's just pure hate and even I can't stretch it that far.
Your ignorance about the sport of boxing is amazing sometimes.

:facepalm:
Not Necessary. You want intelligent discourse, provide it.

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts

Fully agree. Hopkins is the best in the game right now, and has an iron chin to accompany that defense. Mayweather is a close second and I still think Winky has a great defence. I mean he can block the majority of your punches and still manage to throw 1000 punches in a fight. Clottey is good aswell.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
:facepalm: Have you seen Hopkins last fight? Have you seen Floyd's last fight? They used more offense in these fights than Calderon did his whole career. I like the iron boy he's really good but you can't compare him to defensive geniuses like Floyd and B-Hop.

Ivan Calderon doesn't have the super defense you claim bro. He is a good fighter, but nowhere near what you think. Did you even see the Iron boy's last fight? If you did, i doubt you'd say he has "great" defense.
As for Floyd and Nard, as much as i dislike them both, They are defensive masters in the ring. And yes, there offense maybe hindered by their defensive mindsets, but its those mindsets that got them to where they are.

CASE NOT CLOSED, LOL.
If you wanna bash on floyd for not taking risks, being a prima donna, having an ego,,,,,go right ahead, but don't bash him for being rated the best defensive fighter of his generation, that's just pure hate and even I can't stretch it that far.
I agree 100%:thumbsup:

·
Registered
665 Posts
Khan :laugh:

Love that Immortal Tech tune on that youtube vid.

Seem to remember Mosely having a good defense, or am i smoking too much? lol

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
When I think of top D...I'm thinking PBF, B-Hop, Toney, RJ in his prime (not really defense but no one could touch him), C Spinks and Winky in his hayday. My favorite is definitely James Toney though. The way he uses that Philly Shell is amazing (not lately though). When he was in shape he would just roll one punch off his shoulder or his guard and return a fierce right full with his body's momentum that would send his opponent reeling. JT gets style points with his D. The best in the group is no doubt B-Hop. The man has to get slapped just to get technically hit. Nuff said.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
:facepalm: Have you seen Hopkins last fight? Have you seen Floyd's last fight? They used more offense in these fights than Calderon did his whole career. I like the iron boy he's really good but you can't compare him to defensive geniuses like Floyd and B-Hop.

I agree 100%:thumbsup:
If Hopkins was really the defensive genius you claim to be, he would not be slapped silly by an old and weak puncher (words of Nard fans themselves). Nor would he be beaten by a journeyman TWICE (again, words of Nard fans themselves).

Re Floyd, he does have good defense, but he still lost (to many) against a shot and wrongly coached DLH. He also lost to a distracted Castillo, so he can't be called in all honesty, a defensive genius. And no, being adept with your elbows doesnt consitute defensive genius. It is way much more than that.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts